Really badly coded websites ( Top List )

Crakken said
tsafi said

…sorry

I keep reading and reading and reading your previous post and I can’t seem to find why you said sorry :confused: :smiley:

was double post…that is what happen when you smoke to much weeds :stuck_out_tongue:

Crakken said
mazoor said
Joost said

got Java disabled by default :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting – why, what kind of advantages does that have?

Your browser doesn’t crash when you stumble upon another “Good Guys” website :smiley:

Exactly. Especially when you google anything physics-related, you’re quite likely to stumble upon some deviant Java applet. For some reason my browser/computer never manages those properly, even though they’re often from the 90s and my Macbook should run them fine… It’s easier to have Java off by default and turn it on when I miss something (only a few times a year) than to restore from a browser crash that flushes 30+ opened tabs :wink:

aaranmcguire said

I’m not sure how the java websites work… but I think it is just server side processing with java and outputting the output in html… so instead of php its java … I THINK.

There’s two kinds of Java involved: some websites use Java as a serversided processing language comparable to PHP and ASP, but as an end user you hardly notice. As you mentioned, you’re just getting HTML. It’s a different story entirely when they embed a Java applet - that’s more comparable to Flash. It relies on a plugin within your browser to display some dynamic content. The last kind is the one that bugs me :stuck_out_tongue:

Joost said

The last kind is the one that bugs me :stuck_out_tongue:

The last kind is what infected my machine last night while visiting a site linked from WordPress.org. It was a Java exploit that installed a so called ‘antivirus’. Thankfully, Microsoft Security Essentials appears to be pretty good, got rid of it with a full scan :slight_smile:

aaranmcguire said

I’m not sure how the java websites work… but I think it is just server side processing with java and outputting the output in html… so instead of php its java … I THINK.

Java (not to be confused with Javascript) is most often deployed as a client side language (in my experience) but PHP runs server side. If it’s the first time the Java plugin is being invoked in a particular browsing session, it can often hang the browser. For this reason, I have Java disabled and other plugins set to “on demand” in certain browsers (so sites with heavy Flash also don’t hang the browser).

I’ve just tested it with tools.pingdom.
The site pulled 155 requests, load time 30.36s, page size 2.5mb and is slower than than 94% of all tested websites.

^ OMG lol :smiley:

I remember doing java servlets at uni, fun times lol :stuck_out_tongue: