Question to my fellow WordPress plugin devs

wordpress

How do you guys deal with themes lacking wp_footer() function? It is really annoying because still many themes don’t have it (mostly the “home-made” ones). I get 2-3 emails weekly, saying that my plugin is not working, some of them can’t understand that this has nothing to do with the plugin and the issue is coming from the theme and they leave negative reviews, ask for refund etc.

So, is there a workaround that enqueues scripts even if there’s no wp_footer?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers

Yes, this is an issue (not so frequent though). Have dealt with it at least 3-4 times max. I tell the customer to add the call for wp_footer() in their template and they are quite happy that resolved. Add it to your FAQ if you have this issue occur frequently. It’s too bad you got negative reviews for this. Clearly not your fault :fearful:

Hi, the issue seems to be with your theme. It appears there is no reference
to the jquery DatePicker. There are many different reasons for this, but
it’s usually because WordPress puts jquery-ui datepicker in the footer area.

In your theme, within footer.php, your theme dev may have forgotten to call.

<?php wp_footer(); ?>

The above message is what I relay back to my customers. They have all responded with thanks and that this resolved :+1:

Thanks for your reply! Yes, that’s what I tell them to do but I thought there’s a way you can detect this and load the script with some kind of smart code snippet. :smile:

Anyways, including this in the FAQ seems like a good idea.

Cheers