PRS Members (UK) thread

Hi Alexandros. All music venues have to pay for a PRS License. When you claim Performance Royalties, you are basically claiming the money that the venue has already paid to the PRS. i.e The PRS collect money from venues to pay you. As far as live performances go, you don’t need to fill in a cue sheet. However, if your music is played on radio or used on tv, then it’s the radio or tv channels duty to fill in a cue sheet and send it to the PRS so they can pay you accordingly. If you know that your music has been used on tv or radio, you can also report the usage to the PRS.

@GavinJack I am very aware of all these and how the system works with tv and radio, cue sheets etc. What I don’t know is how to deal with a theatrical play.

Let me get into more detail. I’m in this theatrical team and I have composed original music to play along the theatrical play and I’m trying to understand if I can claim performing royalties from these tracks that I will “perform”. I can understand that in music venues things are a lot more straight forward because that’s what they get their income from (music events). But a theatrical troupe cannot have a PRS license just for the once a year theatrical play they release and to play my music. Plus we’re talking about an amateur troupe.

ah. ok. I see where you are coming from. In this case I’m not sure but here is what I think. If you log into the PRS website as a performer/writer, you should see a red box in the bottom/left of the screen that sais “report music usage”. This is where I think you might have to make your claim because because it’s technically not a “live performance” as such. There is another red box that sais “search licensed premises” that you might find useful. You should maybe call the PRS to find out more about this type of claim. Sorry I can’t be more helpful at the moment. I need to call them next week to find out some stuff, so I can ask about this and let you know what they say. Can you tell me the name of the place where the play will be showing?

Thank you once more for your help! The next step was to investigate and come in contact with PRS to clear this up! Just wanted to share this with you guys before. I’ll do my research and get the information I need! I will come back to report the results for you guys to know! Thanks again!

Hello people,

Hope everyone is fine! I would like to share the following with you guys and maybe someone could give me a hand. Last year I register a track to PRS. I submitted same track some months later here to AudioJungle. The track couldn’t go through unless I was going to change something in the track. Which I did and then it got approved. I had then to go and register the “AudioJungle” edited track to PRS again. The thing is that I used the same name when registering it in PRS. So now there two tracks with the same title, same track. Only difference is the one is “short edit”. In PRS you can edit the tile or put alternative titles. So what I did is putting an alternative title in PRS hoping that I could change the title here in A.J. too. Unfortunately renaming the tracks [Track Name (Short Edit)] here in A.J. was rejected.

So, how should I deal with it? Btw PRS didn’t reject my registration in the first play even though I used the same title. Which I find a bit strange. The track length though is different.

Thank you

Hey Guys and Gals. Are any of you aware of this thread concerning the PRS stance on royalty free music?
A question for PRS members on here.

I had a read through and got really confused by all the comments. Since audiojungle allowed us to sell PRS registered tracks on here, I’ve registered all my AJ tracks with the PRS.

Some say that if you want to sell royalty free music on AJ as well as being a PRS member, you need to make a new company name for AJ sales…
Is there a general protocol that we should follow to sell on AJ while still being a PRS member?

Thanks

Hey!

Don’t worry!

This is an old thread, before envato changed their PRO rules :slight_smile:

F

I confirm what @fraserpurdie is saying ! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply! That’s good to know :slight_smile:

Hi there.
I have some info regarding the PRS that you might be interested in. Apparently the tracks that we register with the PRS for synch have a different (higher) tariff than that of any commercial tracks that we register.
I just spoke to a PRS staff member and he told me to email them and ask for the forms so that I can register my library music with them.
I also told him that I have already registered some tracks with the PRS that have already been used for synch and that I’ve received royalties from. He told me to inform the PRS of these tunecodes so they can make amendments to these works.
I’m just going to email them now and I’ll keep you posted.
Did any of you know that we have to register differently for library music?

Regards

Gavin

1 Like

I didn’t thanks for the info

UPDATE!.

After talking to the PRS further, it turns out that the music we have here on Audiojungle should just be registered with the PRS the usual way, without any forms to be filled in.

I just got my first royalties from an audiojungle track! It was used on a show on the syfy channel about a year ago. I wasn’t hopeful that I would get royalties from AJ so it’s great to see this coming through. J

3 Likes

That’s great news and give hopes to all of us! I haven’t got any sale for a long time in AJ. I’ve noticed that the first period after submitting (and approved) is more prosperous.

That’s great news! Are you selling your music with any of the production music libraries that are affiliated with the prs? If you go to the prs website and search for “production music” and click on the “production music guide” There is a link to a big list of companies that you can send music to. I think your stuff would do really well there.

Hi Gavin, thanks! I actually wrote music for two libraries last year. I did an album for one of them, which so far has had a lot of use on some u.s. Food and travel channels, which I’ve heard pay very small royalties unfortunately! The other library seems to get good placements, but the music hasn’t been released yet. I’ve found the library process to be frustratingly slow, a long time before the music gets released, then even longer before any money comes through. We complain about 2 weeks queue on AJ but in comparison it’s amazing that we can write a piece of music and start making money on it in two weeks!

Have you written for any libraries yourself?

I just discovered those libraries a week or two ago so I am working on some music to send at the moment. I’m still learning how to produce, write and record music for synch so for me it’s a very long process indeed. Just trying to find my sound with acoustic guitar pieces for now and find my niche.
I think you have a great niche with the Gypsy Jazz and a great sound so I thought you should know about those other libraries. The PRS told me that we should get MCPS royalties if our music is place through them. It’s just a shame that the market is over saturated. I wish we only had to put our music in one place rather than on as many sites as we can find.

Yes, finding a niche is a good idea, offering something different in a saturated market. I’d also recommend researching libraries thoroughly to make sure they get decent amount of placements

Hello everyone,

Guys, how to you get the publisher’s share of both performance and mechanical royalties for your AJ tracks that are unpublished? You’re going through a publishing administrator like CD Baby or TuneCore? Is that the only way to go in order to make sure we will get these royalties?

Hey guys,

Don’t know if anyone is using this, but I thought I’d share:

www.soundmouse.com

It’s similar to tunesat, it scans broadcasters, identifies your track and communicates it directly to PRS. They proclaim to be the future of cue sheets, and since we have no control over who files them here in AudioJungle, the more tools we have the better.

1 Like