Plugins in Themes - Theme Check Issue

Hi,

Just running a soft-rejected theme through the theme check plugin and seen a new issue I had not noticed before…

REQUIRED: Zip file found. Plugins are not allowed in themes. The zip file found was plugin-name.zip.

This particular plugin was written from the ground up and is bundled with the theme in an “assets” folder so TGMPA can find it. What are the best practices for including theme-specific plugins?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

do you have the themeforest check plugin added as well as it should hide that line, but you should be fine (reviewers should ignore it) as it’s needed to add plugins to a theme (without uploading the zip file to a server, which would be against the themeforest license)

Thanks for the reply.

I haven’t been using the Themeforest Check plugin lately as I’ve been trying to eliminate as many theme check errors as possible (actually this is the only one left I need to get rid of! :slight_smile: ).

I just wondered if there was a better practice for this, I was thinking maybe a Github repo or something like that :slight_smile:

Themeforest check adds extra checks to the theme check plugin, so you install both at the same point, and it will give you a better idea of what is needed.

I don’t think you can as you would be distributing the items which you don’t have the rights too, so no but check with envato support.

1 Like

Good point :slight_smile:

I’ll check it the with Themeforest check plugin. I’m curious, do they add extra checks, or just remove the ones which are not needed?

Both, it removes checks that TF doesn’t use and adds it’s own in (like shortcodes in plugins etc)

I see :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

I added the Themeforest plugin on top of theme-check, activated it, ran theme check and it still didn’t remove the REQUIRED: Zip file found. Plugins are not allowed in themes. The zip file found was plugin-name.zip.

What else do I need to do to get my green light :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Upload the zip files on your server and add link inside of the TGMA plug-in. It will solve the problem.
Thou, I got a soft-rejected message few days ago for a new theme but they didn’t mention any “ZIP” issue.

Don’t even bother with Themeforest-check, that isn’t valid anymore since ages. Now you’re required to fix all ‘regular’ theme-check requirements and warnings.

@ki-themes: great advice, thanks :wink:

1 Like

Hi guys,
There is a simple solution:
Rename zip files to tar. So simple.