Please help with my rejected song

How should I improve this hard rejected song?
rejected song

Thank you so much for your help Everybody

I like this track, especially bass! :slight_smile:
I think the reason of reject can be a little bit aggressive sounding. I would try to make sounding more smooth and soft. You can try make another mixdown and equalization.

Hope it will help.

Good luck!

1 Like

Wow, thank you for your fast reply here!

Do you mean the whole mix (full mix) sounds too harsh?

Too much high frequencies overall the full song,
or do you mean some instruments are too harsh?
(let’s say Glockenspiel maybe?)

In other words,
do you think a gentle high-shelf cut EQ on the master would do the job,
or should I high-shelf cut some individual tracks EQs?

(Sorry for a lot of questions, I highly appreciate all mixing tips! (Actually I’m thinking to change this “RockSolidSound” brandname to something else again, because actually my weakest link is mixing… :slight_smile: ))

No problem :wink:

Yes, too harsh, this is right word :slight_smile:
I mean a whole mix. A whole mix sounds like a little bit overloaded.
And I think you right about high frequencies. Maybe you have something on master and that thing makes this harsh effect? Tube compressor, Izotope exciter or something similar?

1 Like

Oh, I was using a 2.5 db highshelf boost EQ on the master, because initially I’ve found the song sounded a bit dull, it looks like I fall over the other side of the horse (this sound weird, I’m not sure if there is a saying like that in English language). I turned this 2.5 db highshelf off, I guess it’s less harsh now, but the other thing was some kind of exciter(?) thing on the master is the “Grit” button ON on the T-Racks Bus Compressor that I use, I turned it off, I don’t hear big difference, but I found it sound just a little less harsh now.

Other than this EQ and the Grit setting, I did a little bit of rebalancing, and the most noticable change is that the double bass is in the center now (it’s an AmpleSound VSTi with stereo mic setting, but it sounded more “real” with the stereo mic setting, because I can hear a little more “room” that way (instead of the “no-room-feel” single mic setting).

Here is the new version, what do you think? :slight_smile:
Would this be OK for the next reviewer?
rejected song - changed

In my opinion now track sounds better, but I would try to make more smooth and soft main instruments (guitar and glockenspiel I guess). Sorry, I’m not a reviewer and I don’t want to give a wrong advice.
By the way, yesterday I got Hard Reject too :smiley:

1 Like

Seems like they are rejecting a lot. The same things that I get rejected here get accepted by other music libraries. Maybe they are just being too picky because their library is getting too large. But if that is the case, then maybe they should stop accepting music for now. I have peers review my music that have tons of music in music libraries and they are to the point of how it needs to be for acceptance. I don’t take it personal anymore, other libraries are accepting my music. It would be nice if they told us why it was rejected.

1 Like

Don’t worry, I think your not-100%-sure-advice is way better than AudioJungle’s hard rejecter reviewer’s no-advice, but I can understand that they don’t have time to do that, I guess they make more money that way, because lose less time by writing personalized correction tips to every hard rejected songs. (At least I guess that’s why, but what do I know :smiley:)
So I appreciate your help ver much! I think I will try to hunt for a few single frequencies in the higher areas on single instruments, and pull them down, I pulled only a few on the glockenspiel already, because it was even harsher before my upload.

1 Like

Yes, I kind of doubt my skills, especially when it comes to mixing, but I think I just have to keep trying uploading stuff, and see what they accept, and do that style of music more I guess… at least that’s my plan for now, but I will see later if it even works :slight_smile:

First thing, I would say it’s way too dry, use more reverb. Keep some instruments in front, some more in the middle and some more in the back. You need a three dimensional sounding breathing mix using panning, eq and reverb.

Volume balance between instruments and eq are not bad but could be better. Try to make a place for each of your instrument to peak more than the others in the spectrum. Your bass already have a strong place in the bass. Your ukulele and keyboards are a bit one on each other. They don’t have enough their own place. Choose an instrument to peak just over the bass in the low mid (could be your ukulele) , another in the mid, another in the hi mid and another in the treble (your shaker need to be there (less low end and mid on it). It will pop more more and masked less other instruments. Each instrument needs yet enough low end and hi (definition) if you don’t want tiny, harsh or muffled instruments and mix.

I read other replies, don’t use hi shelf cut anywhere. If it’s harsh the problem is in the mids-hi mids (where you glockenspiel is). The mix is already a bit muffled (lacking definition-treble) so hi shelf would aggravate things. Search for anoying harmonics on your instrument individually between 2000-4000 hz. Use a very narrow notch to diminish them. Keep your glock where it is peaking and diminish the signal there on your hi xylophone notes. Try to control the volume on your glockenspiel note (somes are a bit loud).

So overall, a lot more reverb, search for annoying harsh harmonics in the mids, give a specific place to each of your instruments in the spectrum to peak more than the others and you need more definition (treble 5000-16000 hz) on some of your instruments.

Also, avoid sample that repeat itself. I’m not asbsolutely sure that you have samples repeating but some notes sound very similar in tone.

Sorry if I made english mistakes!

I hope it helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyway you making a good music, just keep going!
Good luck to you!
:wink:

1 Like

Yeah, you need some space for instruments to breathe, play more with reverb and dly. Try to put the bass in the center and maybe you should add some more drums and percussions, sometimes I get the feeling that the track isn’t done yet.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Thank you for your tips! I’ve already panned the double bass back to the center, and after a few more listens now I have the same feeling, the track isn’t really done yet, so I think I will try your percussion tip!

Thanks so much!

1 Like

This is awesome, thank you so much for your long and detailed tips here, I highly appreciate it! I didn’t even think that I will get such detailed tips like this on a forum. It looks like AudioJungle is full of helpful people, thank you Everybody! And special thanks to You for taking your time and writing long and detailed tips for me! I think this is exactly what I need

I will get back here with and updated version of the track after I did all the stuff and changes you suggested, I’m obviously noob at mixing, but I will try my best to correct my mixing-mess :slight_smile:

Thanks so much! I try to improve my weaknesses continuosly, but it really feels encouraging to read stuff like this after rejection, I’m back to work already! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great to hear! I love to help!

And it’s a good way too to practice my english and practice to teach what I learned by experience and school in a structured and coherent way. Ah ah ! :smiley:

If you are passionnate, rigorous, analytic and practice a lot you will get better and better. It’s the way for excellence!

Do you use a spectrum analyzer? Try this : Voxengo SPAN and compare your mix with a reference mix. It can help!

Good continuation! :wink:

1 Like

That’s great, I love to help too, but in this AudioJungle it looks like I need help, I am the small fish in a big pond, at least when I look at my mixing skill, certainly I am a small fish here, so it’s good to know that the bigger fish(es?) here are not eating the smal fish(es?) but helping them instead.
(I don’t know English well too, just well enough, sometimes I have problem especially with audio terms, I guess I just Google audio terms that I’m not sure about and their precise meaning, I think your English is fine, I understand everything what your wrote to me here in this topic)

I haveSPAN and I use it to check RMS levels after my final limiter on the master, but I saw a video from a mastering Engineer called Ian Shepperd, he said in one of his YouTube videos that SPAN doesn’t display the “correct” RMS levels by default, I have to set it to +3DBfs (or what, +3 something, near the “Reset” button), and that’s the correct RMS level number. (He compared many different RMS meters in the video, I forgot why exactly he was right, but I remember he was (although don’t bet on my mixing/mastering skills :smiley: )

I use reference mixes, actually I used 4 different ukulele songs from here, I just downloaded the preview files, but 1 of them sounded dull to me, but the other 3 songs sounded very bright, so maybe my initial high freq-boost on the master-EQ was a decision because of the 3 bright reference

People say in youtube mixing teaching videos that use GOOD reference songs,
but how do I know what is a good ukulele glockenspiel reference song?

1 Like

I don’t know for the RMS on SPAN. I don’t use RMS on this plugin. I use RMS indication on Cubase 10 RMS meter. For the same track I get around -11 on SPAN and -8.2 on Cubase. Anyway, I personnally use principally my ears for the loudness. When it just stop to sound harsh and flat it’s the fine line where I stop limiting or step back a bit (1 - 0,5 db). Try to get the best crest factor with automation, saturation, compression and limiting on each individual track and the best volume balance between instruments possible before the limiting at the mastering stage. If you come to the mastering stage with a dense well controlled, balanced mix it will give a cleaner result. You don’t want your final limiter to compress occasionally more than 3-4 db maximum. Saturation is very useful on percussions to reduce the peaks and make them sound yet denser and louder to the hear.

About the mix reference, each track will sound different. What is important is how every instrument has is place and fit in the context to improve the vibe of the track filling the spectrum in the end. A good thing, is to start with a picture of what you will do with your mix. It will comes easier with time to do this (developing judgement and sensitivy). Does your track need to be particulary bright? I would say yes. because of the upbeat, percussive, positive vibe of the track. Your shaker sould be thinner and brighter. Keep the low mid in your ukulele because of the register it plays, diminish what is not need over (mid-hi mid) to get space for other instruments but treble because it lacks percussivity/definition…

I was in the same ambiguous situation years ago.