Photoshop Gradient Banding Issue

Hey guys,

I am not sure how many of you are aware of this issue that Photoshop has but I am getting frustrated. I was not having this problem till now. Actually I came across it a few times but have no idea how I managed to get past it.

Now the thing is when I create a gradient into a new layer over a black background the gradient looks ok but when I lower the Opacity of the gradient the result is very stressing. There are some sort of steps, the transition between white and black is not made softly. Same thing happens if you apply a lower Opacity brush.

I think the issue is called: Photoshop Gradient Banding Issue

I checked over the internet for answears. Some say that using noise will solve the case but why use that when it usually worked without noise also noise technique not worked for me.

Oh I recently reinstalled my Adobe suit… so this might be the issue I am facing here… I have no idea. I usually solve these thinks myself but now it is starting to get on my nerves.

Any clues?

No, it’s a universal issue. Quite frankly there’s nothing you can do about it except for the noise fix.

http://www.garryblack.com/ad04.htm

It’s the way the program treats color transfers, quite frankly I have no idea why they at least haven’t addressed the issue.

No, it's a universal issue. Quite frankly there's nothing you can do about it except for the noise fix.

It’s the way the program treats color transfers, quite frankly I have no idea why they at least haven’t addressed the issue.

Thanks for the link. :slight_smile:

Though I know I used to work without having this problem or I might forgot about it and did not noticed it…

No, it's a universal issue. Quite frankly there's nothing you can do about it except for the noise fix.

Though I know I used to work without having this problem or I might forgot about it and did not noticed it…

Well it happens on either very big canvases or in places where the bg contrast is quite sharp. It doesn’t happen all the time. If you just fill a big canvas with a gradient, it should be OK. But it’s a universal issue and it’s really really frustrating.

Well it happens on either very big canvases or in places where the bg contrast is quite sharp. It doesn’t happen all the time. If you just fill a big canvas with a gradient, it should be OK. But it’s a universal issue and it’s really really frustrating.

Yeah you are right about that frustrating part.

I think I fixed it. It was the monitor calibration. I am using an iMac. Hmmm… it was kinda strange. I managed to make Photoshop see it nicely but when I previewed it in the computer it was messed up.

I think I fixed it. It was the monitor calibration. I am using an iMac. Hmmm... it was kinda strange. I managed to make Photoshop see it nicely but when I previewed it in the computer it was messed up.

Or maybe your monitor now just hides it. I had the issue with multiple displays, systems etc.

I’ve also heard of professional photographers having banding issues and those people use hardware to calibrate their screens.

You can mail me whatever it is you’re making and then I can check if I get the banding as well.

Yeah I am using my Tablet as a second display so maybe this could be the cause.

It is an inherent and unfortunate aspect of 8-bit images. :frowning:

I use noise at 0.5-0.6% and it usually does a great deal to help.

Yes but by using this technique (the noise technique) the result of the gradient is not as you want it to be… also you must apply an effect to it to make the banding disappear.

Banding is usually a problem of creating a large gradient and doing large color transitions in your gradient. The closer the colors are in the color wheel the less of a problem it will be.

Also, working in 16bit mode, Photoshop handles gradients much, much better. The higher bit mode allows for better handling of gradients. However outside of photography, very few people work in 16bit.

Banding is usually a problem of creating a large gradient and doing large color transitions in your gradient. The closer the colors are in the color wheel the less of a problem it will be.

Also, working in 16bit mode, Photoshop handles gradients much, much better. The higher bit mode allows for better handling of gradients. However outside of photography, very few people work in 16bit.

Yeah well when you work in 16bit there is a another thing that might bother and that one is that you will not able able to save jpg file.

After calibrating my iMac display I realized that actually thing look a bit better. I thin I have to search for some tool of some sort, an app to help me calibrate the monitor the right way.

If you guys know some app like that and can share it I’d be grateful. :slight_smile:

I met this problem in my backgrounds pack uploaded and rejected then.

Following the noise advice i’ll try to re-make them…

Hi
Check that your computer is set to 32 bit, go to control panel…display…settings…and set bit depth to 32, if this does not help you can always set it back to whatever it was.

Hi Check that your computer is set to 32 bit, go to control panel.....display....settings...and set bit depth to 32, if this does not help you can always set it back to whatever it was.

How about for Apple users? :smiley:

Old, but maybe some of this will work:

http://www.photography-forums.com/gradient-banding-photoshop-cs-t64328.html

@constantin, fiddle around with the controls in system preferences > screen

That link was interesting although I think that is for CS4. I think I might have to move to CS4 ;))

That link was interesting although I think that is for CS4. I think I might have to move to CS4 ;))

CS5 is on the horizon…

Hi, For what it's worth, my advise: make sure your firmware is up to date, shoot raw, expose mid way between high lights and shadows, open up shadows in Photoshop and do a basic edit,  save as a 16 bit Tiff, do the final edit and then convert to 8 bit and save to a JPEG if you must.

The problem of banding or stepping is greater if you need to burn in high lights, sky’s etc, banding is not a problem in darker areas, only in lighter areas. Adding noise to cover up banding only creates other problems, you will need to increase the sharpness to compensate for the noise reduction, noise is ugly and best avoided at all costs.
Use best digital quality polarizing filter to help with sky’s and or a grad neutral density filters, it’s all too easy to depend on after editing to get your shot, bad mistake, just like film we need to get the shot right or as close as possible in the camera.