Photoshop adjustment layer to only affect the group

I’d like to know how to tell an adjustment layer that it should affect only a certain range of layers below it, not all the way to the bottom. I usually convert the group to be changed to a smart object, add the adjustment layer(s), and alt click between them. But It would be too nice to drag an adjustment layer in the group and have it only affect the layers in that group, maybe a hidden toggle somewhere?

Don’t know of such thing yet. If the group doesn’t affect background then you can put the adjustment layer in it and turn its mode to normal instead of pass through. That way it will just have its effect on the layers inside group. But I guess you may already know that.

No you can’t have selective adj layer short of duplicating the same adj layer and clipping each one separably but that’s not the smartest way.

You’re already doing it the correct way. If you would like an adj layer to effect a few select layers then group those layers, make the group a smart object and clip the adj layer to the smart object, then you still got your group inside the s.obj.

:slight_smile:

:bashful: thanks
Honestly I haven’t thought of using the group blending modes, it solved it! The adj layer just sits on the top inside the group and group mode is normal.

:bashful: thanks Honestly I haven't thought of using the group blending modes, it solved it! The adj layer just sits on the top inside the group and group mode is normal.

np. Glad I could help ya. :slight_smile:

omg! @raincutter this is great! thank you via @firsh. But, off course there is a problem on this method. If there is a layer that use blend mode like multiply, it will not effect below layers outsite of the group.

Yeah you can affect only a certain layers or groups below the adjustment layer. Either by scripting, or by a bit of creativity.

It’s kind of complicated to explain, but the functionality goes like this:

• you have layers you want to be affected, and others you don’t want to be affected.
  • group those who should be affected, and above these create a new layer and apply the current image (image>apply image). Hide the folder (so that you can keep the raw i.e. source layers within it untouched.) Create your adj. layer above the layer with the applied image, and merge them.

So, whenever you want to create an adj. layer that should only affect a certain group of layers, apply an image of these layers, hide them, create the adj. layer above the applied image and merge both last.

I hope I explained myself, otherwise let me know and I’ll try to be more precise.

Good luck!

Chris :wink:

omg! @raincutter this is great! thank you via @firsh. But, off course there is a problem on this method. If there is a layer that use blend mode like multiply, it will not effect below layers outsite of the group.
NP. :) And yeah I already said, it won't have much use if that group affects the background.

Yeah you can affect only a certain layers or groups below the adjustment layer. Either by scripting, or by a bit of creativity.

It’s kind of complicated to explain, but the functionality goes like this:

• you have layers you want to be affected, and others you don’t want to be affected.
  • group those who should be affected, and above these create a new layer and apply the current image (image>apply image). Hide the folder (so that you can keep the raw i.e. source layers within it untouched.) Create your adj. layer above the layer with the applied image, and merge them.

So, whenever you want to create an adj. layer that should only affect a certain group of layers, apply an image of these layers, hide them, create the adj. layer above the applied image and merge both last.

I hope I explained myself, otherwise let me know and I’ll try to be more precise.
Good luck!

Chris :wink:

In a little simple way. Duplicate the desired group. Merge it. Hide the original one. Create the necessary adj. layer above merged group layer and then merge both layers, right?

But then using smart object is better since it keep your groups alive and you don’t need to go through hiding, merging and such things.

In a little simple way. Duplicate the desired group. Merge it. Hide the original one. Create the necessary adj. layer above merged group layer and then merge both layers, right?

But then using smart object is better since it keep your groups alive and you don’t need to go through hiding, merging and such things.

Not exactly, because applying images on the front (not on the back smart objects) will multiply their blending modes. Thus, the effect may vary when working on another ‘sheet’ - i.e. modifying stuff from/in the smart objects.

All in all, both methods are quite similar, but you’re water-proof when working right on the upper-most area, which will always be your layers above the original layer.

Not exactly, because applying images on the front (not on the back smart objects) will multiply their blending modes. Thus, the effect may vary when working on another ‘sheet’ - i.e. modifying stuff from/in the smart objects.

All in all, both methods are quite similar, but you’re water-proof when working right on the upper-most area, which will always be your layers above the original layer.

Yep not exactly. But still if you do not want any base effect over your current image, I doubt we can go for apply image. Thus, it depends on user to user.

Scripting is the solution for most of these silly things.

• Convert the group to a smart object
  • Apply the adjustment inside the smart object