PhotoDune: Update & Next Steps

Well, I was actually contemplating pulling out of PhotoDune anyway because of the low earnings (compared to my other stock sites), slow reviews, cumbersome uploading procedures, etc. Still, it is shocking, to say the least. I’ve had pretty good success in this industry, and I’m also a photo inspector for one of the major agencies. So to be told a large part of my portfolio failed to meet PhotoDune’s new library standards makes me think that perhaps the company is going into something other than “stock photography” in the future. I can’t wait to see the “new” PhotoDune and what it has in its collection. Will it be industry-leading materials, or perhaps something experimental that fails. In any case, I highly doubt any one who got rejected will “reapply” anew as a contributor here after the impersonal, poorly worded and insulting email.

3 Likes

Seriously. I forgot PhotoDune even existed until I got this email telling me my images didn’t meet their ‘standard’ and my portfolio was going to be removed.
I think I last uploaded to this place 4 years ago - that’s how relevant this place is.
I’ve many many thousands of images on several other sites that seem to be selling very well so who know’s why Photodune thinks they’re so special all of a sudden.
Maybe it has something to do with Getty’s acquisition. At least it saves me the trouble of canceling my account myself - I have no desire to help fill Getty’s pockets.
I won’t be reapplying in the future. I’m way too busy uploading to sites that actually sell my images.

3 Likes

When can I expect to see my balance ($7.69) deposited into my PayPal account? I was expecting the payment to arrive at the same time as the insulting email you sent out.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for rejecting my portfolio.
You just saved me time to go through the account deactivation process which I intended to do ever since you changed your tax policies.

Just make sure you pay me whatever is left in my account. Adios!

1 Like

I’ve just been fired too. Not a big deal. This was not an earner for me at all compared to the other seven sites I upload to. Probably the lowest. I hope they find their place with their new standards because it was clear they couldn’t market my stuff. Which, by the way, sells just fine elsewhere.

Click on my name and check the badges!

Well well well…here we are , after 5 years , I got informed with robotic mail that my portfolio is no longer worth of the new photodune "quality standards " .

I’m photographer from the 80’s…and I can say I’ve seen it all , don’t mind changes , changes are good ,if they are smart .
I’m on microstock since 2008 as “NON EXCLUSIVE” , although I never stopped with my assignments works, in some how I’ve been “forced” to witnessed all sort of changes and revolutions among all the agency I’m contributing to , I’ve seen tens of new opened agency and tens closing down …so one more one less doesn’t make difference for me.
One example for all might be istock , in few years i went from a decent monthly income to below average as for now …but my total monthly income never stop raising since the beginning , that for me means someone else took over the sales missed by istock …it’s like the law of conservation of energy in physics …Energy can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, it transforms from one form to another.
What to say…i don’t know , I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel , sales for me at photodune started nose diving from 2013 , but with this move now? …sorry I can just see an EPIC FAIL, nonetheless I wish you best luck .

But one thing I find totally insulting …you say you delete all my portfolio and bla bla bla and it’s ok …whatever you say BUT at the end you say I’m always welcome to reapply??? And you hope I do so? That is ridiculous and insulting , I’ve been spending time and energy for 5 years uploading photo for you …FOR FREE !!! And you expect me to do it again after this? … sorry thanks but no thanks ,one time is enough …next time if you want my cooperation YOU ASK AND YOU PAY FOR IT ,then i might consider.

Regards.

9 Likes

No, they are not associated with Getty

2 Likes

See above.

Authors with a balance under the minimum threshold that only have items on PhotoDune: We will email you and attempt to send you a final payment (make sure your contact info is up-to-date).

I’m not surprised, I am an author on three of their sites and since their move, the marketplace just doesn’t have any worth for me really, so much so that I stopped authoring here two years ago. I tried to get back into it from the start of this year but alas, my project is in the queue some 19 days now awaiting review. At least I make enough for coffee and crumpets every once and a while.

2 Likes

They will…

Authors with a balance under the minimum threshold that only have items on PhotoDune: We will email you and attempt to send you a final payment (make sure your contact info is up-to-date).

1 Like

I remember getting rejected for my photos that contained money (queens head) and saying its not allowed because it shows a picture of the royals… a quick search on photo dune and there are loads of coin photos showing the queens head…

I am getting sick and tired of this place… so called codecanyon quality checked items that do not even work …

You people need to remember where you all started from from !

1 Like

Here here my friend,

There you go envato … I deleted my photo for you !!!

Disappointing. There isn’t much I can say that hasn’t been said above. I just withdrew my money and expect it to go into my paypal account before my account is shut down. Since I was an exclusive author I am looking forward to sell my images somewhere else when you shut my account down. I am surprised it is ending like this. Unfortunate and disrespectful on the authors how this has been handled.

1 Like

P.S.
Another consideration came in my mind …since you want to "upgrade " quality standard to a boutique macrostock level…you are free to do so …but then this new "elements " came along …and even i’m not a genius it make me thinking how that could possibly work unless you go for only exclusive contents??? and even going total exclusive content can you make it??? Big contents buyers need continuously fresh and huge choice ,what happened to istock should teach you something
Well you can throw all the numbers you like to us , but it doesn’t matter , like the "12,000 paying subscribers " you say you have …i don’t know whether is true or not …i don’t care , in my humble opinion you are fried either way …and this move will bury you even deeper .
I see no plan nor strategy whatsoever …anyway only time will tell …good luck again.
Regards

1 Like

When is that going to happen?

Exact timelines are still being worked out, but it’s not going to take long.

Wow! Most people have already spoken exactly what I feel. You are very very low on the industry totem pole making me very little money, You go right ahead and remove me as a contributor as there are far better sites that are quite happy to make money from my work. I also as many others have stated, will not be spending any money here either. I expect every dime owned to me to be paid out and we will part ways. Rude.

More 4k sales, more than 5k$, and my portfolio will be removing.
so sorry, I really liked the photodune :frowning:
good luck

4 Likes