(Petition to Envato) Update Author Fees

Yes, I know that Envato is paying a lot of for server resources, their staff and so on. It’s a sure thing that they need to have their share on sales, but 50% for newcomers ? Don’t take me wrong please, but I can’t find a other name for that, than I used earlier.

Great about the thing is that the Author Fee and Tax is not the end of story.

In my country if I want to have some official income, I have to be holder of company and this means to pay about (depends on income) 200€ monthly to “social and health insurance system” and another 60-70€ to accountant. Then pay taxes from income. Of course I have to buy good computer and licensed software too :slight_smile: And spend hundreds hours by creating.

So although I like the market, ii is really just a hobby unless you get $1000+ per month, which is not so easy, because everyday new authors developed on on Tuts+ and tons of new items are coming. And maybe thats the reason why probably no change will come…

1 Like

this is fine u can express anything and i know that what iu expressed is the way that many guys feel for discussing with many … i personally also tend to believe that fees are too high too , they are by far the most substantial ones in this kind of “platform”, besides if u ask me this is completely crazy when are a non exclusive and i cannot identify how can guys earn some money out of getting only one third of the initial price. as for what u said i do not completely agree i am here for aroudn 2,5 years now and as exclusive author with a paw n4 i still make around these 50 percent so this is not only for very beginners , this is also part of the things that really hurt , in this case they do not only ask u to pay your dues for a while but keep on imposing hard fees on even well implanted guys …

u are right many guys are confronted to all this and i may add personally that they say i am ranked about 970 in GR, something like that this is not much of a big deal these sorts of things for me, but the thing is that u are still in the supposed good sellers with this can of figure but in the end i end up making 30$ per week or lookalike, so incredibly very far from being other than just ok pocket money … this is also right that i am not working full time on things for GR but all the same that tells a whole long story of difficult this is to make a living out of a run here and most importantly of how there are just a a couple of handful of guys who can live out to marketplace things …

Yeah, it doesn’t seem fair, other marketplaces don’t do it this way. But this is thread no.100000000 about that,and nothing has changed.

You are lucky, i got $6 from a $49 sale.

One more voice here. :slight_smile:
The Author fees need to be updated, because there can be made some changes to make both parts happy (Envato and Authors).

1 Like

Guys you are only seeing the subject from your perspective. To run a marketplace like envato there are lots of hassles to overcome. This is the only marketplace that came up with 50%-70% share in the begining while others give 15%-20%. I was here since a longtime ago. A lot has been changed in envato. The buyers have increased through the time. But to notice other marketplaces did not show that much of improvement like envato do. That 50%-70% eventual share thing will give the motiveness to improve time by time. You can’t ask it and you need to earn it. And for the us sales i was earning 50% sales from us and rest of 50 from all the other countries. Iam also having the same problem but its not their fault its the IRS that plays the tax role. While other websites started higher payout rates now a days to get competetive position. But i sell all the websites I only see envato is the only site that gives much more profit than other websites

Plz calm down and think of server charges, employee salaries, etc etc

Hi,

I do agree with you but the current author fees is too high.

Envato not only runs the market place

they have many like below

They really are earning form that also.

Plz clear me one thing in which site you are getting more amount than here. They are always finding new ways to improve our sales by taking that author fees. Recently they have added category popular files feature which is the small change and big results before all my files sells 4 to 5 and then it stops. But not now. Evolution is always pays which involves lots of money to spend. Which we could not understand.

If you see on buyer side some guys complained about 2$ fees for paypal purchase. Now eu buyers have purchase using 20 %-30% more money to purchase which is not fault of the envato. To make this markerplace sustainable and stable going they need follow every country gov rules. That is the thing envato doing with us sales.

HI,

I agree with you but still.

lets take an example as you are an author.

and you create a wordpres theme and upload it to envato.

1. Wordpress Buyer Fees 12
  2. Our Author Fees 37.5% (based on new account)

So i want to make the price of about 59$ in total
Which is about 47$ is the exact item price.

and you got 1 sale. that too from a US Customer

59$ - 12 = 49$
49$ - 37.5% = 29.37
In that if its from US customer then they even block some $ eg (5$)

so in total i get about 24.37$ in my account
which is too bad. because i work on this very hard and i just get 24$ per sales. for 59$

1 Like

I totally agre! That is my point too. :wink:

1 Like

I guess there are three options.

1. They keep fees the same.
  2. They decrease fees so authors get more and Envato get less.
  3. They increase fees so Envato get more and authors get less.

If option two would (paraphrasing your words) make both authors and Envato happy… surely option three would also make both authors and Envato happy?

Hi

I am not saying envato to reduce the author fees to much

The can reduce a bit and also reduce the buyer fee so we can able to fix our item price at the best

Well just like you’re making decisions and suggestions based on your best interests, Envato also need to make decisions based on their interests.

Yes, they can’t just think of their interests, they need to balance the needs of the buyers and authors, so obviously they’re not going to put the fees up to 99% or anything.

For them to reduce the fees there would have to be some kind of benefit to them for doing so. It may attract a few more providers but that wouldn’t have any real impact in offseting the cost of reducing the fees.

If Envato lowers the fees a bit, say 1 dollar, you personally won’t feel it that much, but Envato will, because they will be making way less money, as in thousand dollars less each month.

lets talk what we are doing in india now a days.
I was paying 20% of earned money as a tax
when I go to restaurent i was paying 18%
when i go to movie i was paying 28% tax
when i purchase car iam paying road tax and all other taxes
even if i changed to some other state i need to pay the road tax for that state
after paying taxes of income we are paying every thing in india for what we need.
They are only charging you for us sales which is the irs rule to run this website without any problem
I know they are getting the lots money but that does not mean they need to give you everything that ask

for example
if you have a company and you have a employee working for you at 5k salary
so you are getting 5 lakh amount monthly
suddenly he found it hard and wanted to get more money after knowing the income of that guy
will you give amount he asked. obviously we are not . we just increment his salary to get motivated and keep continue the work.
but in envato you are owner of your content
literally the same thing going on here but with 50 to 70% share. it has taken 11 years to envato to come this far.
we are asking increase of share because we are getting some low amount of money because of some other governament rules.

I am not going against any one here
Iam a motion graphics artist and videohive author too. I get 50% of my earnings from envato and 50% earnings from motion graphics projects. I know what it goes over when you have a company. I need to met lots of bills at the end of the month like power bill, internet bill, cleaning bills, water bills, coffee bills, employee salaries, office space rent etc.

I simply saying one thing envato is biggest market thats because designer community, quality over quantity items.
we just need to look after for more sales and also improve sales and more income per every item.

1 Like

Thanks. you are right. we pay F** tax for everything and every time. now we just implemented GST about (18%)
also we have another rule to maintain min of 100$ in our bank account … even if its

• Current Account
  • Savings Account

I feel like you are talking a bit favor to envato… i am not sure why. or i am really sorry if i am wrong

I just feel like we are the owner of the content. but based on the new rules (Important Changes To Our Exclusivity Policy) I dont think so.

i am not saying envato reduce alltogether.

These are the companyies / services they own.

1. Envato Tust+
  2. Envato Market.
  3. Envato Elements
  4. Envato Studio
  5. Envato Sites

And envato mainly earns from

1. Envato Market (Audiojungle,Videohive)
  2. Envato Studio
  3. Envato Hosted Sites (themeforest)

We are also trying to get more sales. doing our best but mostly all users wanted to have free version.

I am sure about this because. i have a plugin hosted @ wordpress.org which has 5K+ installs (i know this is tool low.)

I keep getting email reg pro purchase asking to reduce the price for about 10$ - 15$

No, we’re being neutral, as were not suggesting the fees should go up. You’re leaning in favour of yourself though, and although that’s kind of human nature, you are looking to benefit at the expense of Envato.

All of the things you mentioned aren’t really related to Envato. These are taxes imposed by governments using rules that Envato have to follow. They don’t take all the GST and VAT and have a big boat party or a wombat racing event at the end of the month, so it’s not like they are benefiting from these changes.

But still, any withholding tax that you have to pay will be documented for you at the end of the year, so you can offset the income tax you owe in your own country. So it’s not a loss… it’s more like a savings account. Sure, I’d rather have it in my pocket than somebody elses, but it all evens out in the long run.

(That applies to you though… people in tax free countries get the short end of the stick, and I’m not sure if it’s been confirmed if non-tax treaty companies can offset the withholding tax… but for the majority of authors, they can.)

Bro i did not taking any favor towards envato.
the same rules that goes over me that goes over you.
even yesterday night i got a extended sale 66$ i just only got i just got only $36 after all taxes. as Iam one step close to elite level.
this does not change any thing if Iam talking favor of envato. I just want to think about reality of making things possible.

Well I will tell you How my journey started here;
I have attempted exam for almost 53 times to create author account in the begining which is essential in those days
to clear that exam I need to understand basic principles how this market works. now a days guys can easily start the account start selling which is very easy.

In the begining the review system is very hard for me but even though my first project approved so without any hassle
and earned the amount 3 times amount of my salary. its not about that money I got that day its confidence yes I can do some stuff and earn money even I don’t have job.

when i have started working in videohive there are couple of competitor websites are there. one of the famous website has been always got problems and later closed. Because they don’t follow the rules. i was seeing lots of websites coming during this time and lots of them closed after they feel it is not possible to run such a website that easily.

so one day I am feeling there are other websites that are selling same kind of project with higher price almost double
or triple two months later they have increased the price twice.

some of things i did not like about envato too such as taking care of pirate sites and etc. but when i balance them the good things are getting better. i Just left the thinking of those bad things.