Observation from a Newbie to AJ

If could split myself in half and have some toggles between the two halves. One half is an artist, innovator and researcher in the ocean of high art music. The second half is a craftsman, trader, or a machine that bakes pies with smell pretty music filling for a large queue consumers. Two individual … Two account …:smile:

1 Like

Seek help man :slight_smile:

Of course it was a joke :smile: . But each of us has a choice, and we ask ourselves: who I am - an artist or a “trader”. As a result there is a certain behavior

1 Like

Sure, do we all? I can’t hardly remember that i have listened lately what sells best here on AJ.
There was once this Ukulele Hype and i thought i’ll do 2-3 tracks as well in this genre to see if that works, and it did not (maybe my tracks where to bad). So i stick to my “old routine” and just produce what i like, even if that sells not so well.
Same counts for the “regular” music industry imo, you can copy the best of the best, but without a huge marketing budget and company behind you that will push your stuff into radio and television, you won’t possibly earn a dollar … even if your song is “better” than what you where trying to copy.

Music for AJ is and will allways be a “sidejob” for me as it will possibly never feed 3 people and a cat :slight_smile: So i do what i enjoy and upload it. If it sells = cool! if it doesn’t, i had fun doing it (compared to be under pressure and full of hope when copying a best seller).

Just my way of looking at it, i don’t say this is the truth for everyone.

p.s. and YES i do take inspirations and ideas from songs out there in the radio as well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sell the cat :sunglasses:

So true! Being an artist is great fun, but it’s a risky business - if it’s a business at all :wink:

Make your trade an art form, win both games :sunglasses:

1 Like

Authors drawing inspiration from other authors is widespread on the market, the problem is there is a fine line between being inspired by something and copying something. Unfortunately the lines become blurred and we end up with so many similar items. Another issue is for newer authors looking at items and seeing these similar items, they assume that copying / borrowing ideas is allowed (because it seems others are doing it) and that’s when some authors start copying items and basically creating a clone of someone else’s work which creates a big problem. Envato needs to be more vigilant and make it more clear regarding copying others work, but unfortunately it seems that it’s more the authors responsibility to make sure no one is copying your work, and sending a DMCA if you think someone has, because it’s not really possible for reviewers to know exactly what has been done before to pick up on these issues.

I guess it’s even easier to accidentally copy someone elses music track if you hear something that’s catchy and gets stuck in your head, and then during composition of a new track you might subconsciously create something very similar by accident - this happens with design too. This is why it’s better while working on a new item to not look / listen to other peoples work and avoid not subconsciously creating something you’ve heard / seen before and this way your work turns out to be more original and unique.

4 Likes

Well said.

Any bids ? :slight_smile:

Come on, we are talking about commercial stock music here, 95% of it is going to be quite similar sounding and the other 5% gets rejected HEYO! :laughing:

5 Likes

It could be more cost saving to sell the wife :smiley:

1 Like

I think so :wink:

The law is also not on our side. If you make royalty free music, by law anyone can steel the melodies/chords… Yes it sucks, we are not protected if we don’t register the tracks… It’s the lowest of the low… But hey… Audiojungle paid for my new teeth!!! I’m loving it… It’s almost a spiritual practice: let go of all ego, what’s yours is mine… Now only one thing remains: are you inspired to make a beautiful track? :smiley:

the law is always on our side brother ! Royalty free doesnt mean public domain ! if you write a track all the copyrights is yours!

This is exactly why I write Mongolian Nose Flute Dub Reggae :grinning:

1 Like

Not in Holland… In a court of law you got nothing to stand on, if you did not register the track pro…

Sorry, but this is complete and utter nonsense. Intellectual property/ownership has nothing to do with whether or not a track is royalty free or PRO-registered.

WolfSound is right.

PROs do not deliver copyrights/patent/paternity certificate/… They merely collect royalties when registered tracks are being performed.

Your music is indeed copyrighted unless you specifically distribute it under a CC0 license (public domain), which is forbidden on Audiojungle.

Though copyright laws may vary from country to country, the above is true in most of the world.

Exactly. In fact, it is a common misconception that registering a track with a PRO will somehow change your legal ownership of this track. Well, it won’t because it has been yours all along.

you can register all tracks to a lawyer or a Notary ! :smiley: