not readable

hey,
due to electricity crash my pc shut down while working. now when I try to load my aep back it says: “unable to import file. bad format or not readable”

Help?..

-inlife

InlifeThrill said

hey,
due to electricity crash my pc shut down while working. now when I try to load my aep back it says: “unable to import file. bad format or not readable”

Help?..

-inlife

Hi friend,
I also had lots of such experience. As far as i know its not possible to make the file work. But if you are lucky enough check for auto backup option is enabled. If it is enabled you can take the last saved file from backup. If not then i am big sorry.

Its always good to save multiple copies of project.

Also have UPS.

VProxy said
InlifeThrill said

hey,

Help?..

-inlife

Hi friend,
I also had lots of such experience. As far as i know its not possible to make the file work. But if you are lucky enough check for auto backup option is enabled. If it is enabled you can take the last saved file from backup. If not then i am big sorry.

Its always good to save multiple copies of project.

Also have UPS.

True.

hey buddy, make sure you save multiple copies of your files using the Increment and save option in after effects and get a UPS as soon as possible. This is a MUST for our kind of work. I hope you were in the beginning of the project and there is not much lost.

PS. Prodavat dobri UPS-i za 200-400 lv. Moq go zeh za 200 durji 10 min ot momenta na spirane na toka, ima LAN za6tita i spira tokovi udari. Dori ima software koito sam seiva vsi4ko i gasi kompa kogato bateriqta na UPS-a padne pod 30% ili kolkoto ti mu zadade6.

Possibly corrupted, although that usually shouldn’t happen unless you were mid save when the machine crashed.

If I ever work in-house at a firm, the first thing I ever do is turn autosave on. I also progressive save projects on an approximately 3 hourly basis - even more often at the end of a project with a deadline. I also I run a back up to another disk at least once a day and upload the absolutely indispensible files to a web server once a day. None of this takes long and none of it is hard to do.

Computers crash, hard drives die, files get corrupted.

If it’s any consolation, my first lesson to this effect was having a hard-drive die on me 2 days before the end of a three week project. I lost everything. Fortunately it was a deadline that was extendible and building the project the second time round could be done within a week or so. But it was a very stressful moment, the realisation that everything had gone.

That was my wake up call.

Be safe. Preferences -> Auto-save :slight_smile:

-f.

I have a great habbit. I press ctrl-s almost every minute :smiley: (Life expirience :D)

EFEKT_Studio said

I have a great habbit. I press ctrl-s almost every minute :smiley: (Life expirience :D)

:wink: same here…often i do not even realize i pressed :slight_smile:

Auto save is better - it saves a copy. Otherwise you’re in danger of making a mistake and saving it. Just as annoying!

-f.

So basically I am screwed…

-inlife

felt_tips said

Auto save is better - it saves a copy. Otherwise you’re in danger of making a mistake and saving it. Just as annoying!

-f.

It’s great option but if you forget to delete autosave folder you are screwed again when file goes to review.

P.S.
Filips knows what i’m talking about :smiley:

@Inlife Try to open file with newer version of AE. or do IMPORT sometimes works for me.

I tried. It’s over. Started over…

-inlife

InlifeThrill said

-inlife

Really sad for you man :frowning: I know how it feels…

It goes quicker the second time.

-f.

InlifeThrill said

-inlife

I had bad experiences with sudden power shortages, which are the worst when you are making something on your machine! If you can aford an UPS, that will save you the trouble and it will prolongue the lifetime of your pc as well. Blackouts are a chronic problem here in Romania so we try to make the most of it with what we have :slight_smile:

PS: just read Stefan’s post, he is absolutely right in my humble opinion :slight_smile:

Wow… you guys have it hard. I had to look up UPS. I think I’ve experienced about 3 power cuts in the last 30 years or so.

I remember power cuts were pretty common in the UK in the 1970s though… lots of strikes and so on.

Candles at the ready…

-f.

felt_tips said

Wow… you guys have it hard. I had to look up UPS. I think I’ve experienced about 3 power cuts in the last 30 years or so.

I remember power cuts were pretty common in the UK in the 1970s though… lots of strikes and so on.

Candles at the ready…

-f.

1970’s in UK == 2011 here.

InlifeThrill said
felt_tips said

Candles at the ready…

-f.

1970’s in UK == 2011 here.

Yesterday last time here :slight_smile:

After all Ben was right… it went quicker and better.

-inlife

fwiw I always manually auto increment filenames and save as a new version after every single change to a project, which means every 60-120 seconds or so, there’s a “myproject01a.aep”, then “myproject01b.aep” etc that’s saved, so I never lose more than a minute or two of work. I’ve been doing that for 20+ years on computers and have never lost any significant work… good habit… Ctrl-S is your friend

Auto-save every 10 mins is good too. I shall never uncheck it again…

-inlife