Non creative titles.

Not at all !

Freemium strategy is interesting to develop. But this kind of music is only here to bring some view, traffic on some streaming platform like YouTube. Through the free work you can hard advertise for the one people have to pay. I’m not doing this, but as I can easily find some free music on Youtube, this is something which is interesting to dig. Free music as a vitrine and freemium strategy could work ! Especially with this hard time. For example a good freemium strategy, would be to allow people to use your music, but they have to allow content ID. If they want to remove claim they have to pay.

2 Likes

I think people who search for and use free music will rarely or never start to Pay for music (no matter how creative the titles are).

4 Likes

Only reason I use non creative titles is because it helps with visibility. I didn’t create the rules of the game but I’m not going to be dumb enough to pretend like they don’t exist.

Let’s be honest guys at the end of the day, this site is not about creativity. It’s about providing a product that buyers are searching for, and making it easy for those buyers to find. If you go to a supermarket and want to buy apple juice, it’s not going to be labeled “Delectable Nectar of Heavenly Aroma and Taste”… it’s going to be called Apple Juice. And that makes it easier for you to find and buy it. Same exact thing going on here. We might not like it but that’s the way it is.

7 Likes

Or This Apple Juice

9 Likes

+1

Lol. Or “That Apple Juice”. Because you can’t name two items the same thing. Envato could have predicted that this would happen. But again I’m sure they really don’t care (and neither do the bulk of their buyers). And therefore neither should we. There are many outlets for our musical creativity but AudioJungle just isn’t one of them.

1 Like

And you are ok with that? I agree, maybe AJ is not quite the place for creativity and originality. But how about you enter in a grocery store and see all the juice sortiments, all the same, maybe some fonts are different, all the same colours, and all of a sudden you see a different one? You know why you are buying nike? or adidas? or gucci? Because once they stood up against all the generic brands and they decided to be different. Do not get fooled by the market size or fame.’ it’s just a free royalty market’ . Does not matter.Those famous brands adressed themselves to same customers the other manufactureres did.How about that?

1 Like

Ok.I do not know how to do that. But i’m gonna ask everyone, as a poll: Do you think generic names does your item to generate more visibility than creative item names?

1 Like

If a track is unique or quirky then a creative title works, a bland generic corporate track only needs a generic title and sold at rock bottom dolla to make a sale.

3 Likes

agree

It works for retail because the motivation for the buyer is different. People want to buy clothes that make them seem unique and different. With AudioJungle, the vast majority of people are not looking for unique or different, they’re looking for a specific type of audio content that will fit the needs of their project.

If you don’t believe me just look at the top sellers on the site and ask yourself, are they taking the Nike/Adidas/Gucci route? Nearly all of them use the same bland, unoriginal track titles as the rest of us. Analyzing these top sellers will be clear what the market is and isn’t looking for. And unfortunately it just isn’t looking for creativity. You might get the occasional sale of a weird/quirky track… hell, I sold a pirate song yesterday… but for the most part sustained success here seems to only happen when following the established formula

2 Likes

I see your point,true.

I try to create original titles whenever possible and hope tags will do the job of making the item show up.
I agree, most titles are horribly the same and it looks really bad.

1 Like

I was asking the same question a couple of days before. Then I was reading the naming conventions again and I found out, that I was wrong. Envato recommends to use such terms as an alternative to creative titles. Together with the fact, that the customers start searching music like “corporate positive uplifting” and the search engine mostly ignore these terms in the tags and search them in the item title…no wonder that we have this mess of uncreative item names.
Nevertheless I try to combine creative and non creative terms in the item name, like “Sunset - Epic Modern Orchestra” (no that’s not one of my items).
The creative part of the name should transport the picture I had in mind for the song, the non creative parts describe type, orchestration and mood.
It is clear: Each listener associates with the song a different feeling. But it can help the customer to find out the right music in the list of 400 search results of “modern orchestra”.

2 Likes

I have thought about using non-creative titles to get more sales, but came to the conclusion that it just wouldn’t work for my songs. As I try so hard to make tracks that are unique and put so much work into them, I just couldn’t bring myself to butcher them with a stupid “this” or “that” title. It’s sad actually that Envato doesn’t value their library of tracks more by enforcing original titles. To my surprise I have found on other royalty-free sites that creative titles are a requirement. You can’t really brag about having a quality library and then fill it with tracks that have such deplorable titles.

2 Likes

@popraz . Yes.Exactly.But i am not quite sure if i should blame envato for this.There are indeed other competitors with different requirements. They, somehow are adressing to a different niche. I am sure a complete sincere and open discussion will break some forum rules and i am trying to avoid that.:slight_smile: Lets just say that if you are a great, succesful seller on AJ , you will not meet the requirements on other markets.You just fit into AJ niche, nothing wrong with this.

1 Like

This is one of the reasons why the stock is rolling down. Yes, mentioning one keyword with minimal uniqueness makes a lot of profit. But at the same time, it demotivates other authors who want to call their music NORMAL names. Also, name-scamming is widespread here, when each new track is called one key (for example, Epic), and a week later it is renamed (for example, to This Epic), so that the next item is called the same (Epic). And so on ad infinitum. It’s within the rules, but it’s an easy way to leave all other authors behind.
In the end, what do we get? The quality of the music on this stock has not been decisive for a long time. Customers won’t see your music if you came up with a name for the creative, even if it’s a super cool composition. What is more important is how you named the music at the time of release. It sucks.

2 Likes

They need to introduce a voting system, so higher-quality stuff bubbles up automatically even if the names are generic.

I’m tired of the same 3-chord and 4-chord repetitive bullshit on this site. It’s so hard digging through all the garbage for a few gems. A voting system would help tremendously with discovery. Upvotes and downvotes is all it takes.

Also, I’d be able to see items I downvoted and not have to listen to them again every time I’m sifting through looking for new music.

@steve_yegge . Now that will be a real segregative matter.Despite the fact that this might evolve in a very subjective way, the voting system might, and will be exploited for sure, what is the criteria of voting? Music is subjective and it is really a matter of perception. Each individuals level of perception will propulsate in the top of the votes the tracks that suit his needs, and it fits to his level of perception. That is happening worldwide on daily basis on mainstream music. Why do you think so many garbage ends up in the top 10? Music is not for musicians,mate. Sadly.

1 Like

You can do the opposite if you use the favourites feature. When you find a track that might not be right for the project that you are working on, but you think it might be useful in the future, you can click the heart and it will save it in your favourites. Over time, you can build up a good list of ‘Quality Maybes’ that can become your first port of call for finding music.

2 Likes