New WordPress Theme Submission Requirement?

Hi Everyone,

First, thanks for your patience. I know it took much longer to get back to you about this than I originally promised. We’ve now discussed this and have come up with a common understanding that we will apply consistently.

The current requirement will remain as it is for now:

Use a unique prefix for all function names, classes, hooks, public/global variables, and database entries to avoid conflict issues with plugins and other themes.

However, because that can be interpreted in different ways, we will add the guidance to use the following:

themename_
OR
frameworkname_ (where framework functions are being used)

If you follow this, then your theme will be accepted. If you use something else, then you may (or may not) be asked to use these, at the reviewer’s discretion.

If you use your own framework, we’d encourage you to choose a reasonably unique framework name. If your theme name is not unique and you want to make it more unique, then adding an additional prefix to themename_ will be accepted, although it is not required.

Background: One of the things we discussed was how unique a prefix should be. Ultimately, the more complex the prefix is, the lower the chance of a clash. We looked at asking for something more complex, but in the end we decided not to. Instead, we recognised that the very act of using a prefix, regardless of it’s complexity, greatly reduces the chance of a clash and is enough in most cases. This decision was based in part on your feedback of real life examples, so thanks!

Theme name has become the standard in many parts of the WordPress community, so that remains our preference. However, we understand this is not practical for those of you who reuse functions between themes and we’ll accept framework name in those circumstances.

Hopefully this will give all of us a clear and common understanding of this requirement, that is practical for authors to follow, and which will reduce any confusion and frustration that may have been occurring. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know! Thanks everyone.

Cheers,
Stephen

6 Likes