New feature: Trending and Recommendations

UPDATE: We're extending Trending throughout all categories, portfolios, and item pages. Please see/read our update here.

Hi everyone,

Giancarlo here from the Search and Discovery team! I’m very excited to announce two very exciting features on Envato Market that we think you’re going to enjoy! First of all, we’ve just launched Trending. We’ve finally built a solution to show buyers what items are currently trending across our marketplaces. We’re also about to launch in a few days a brand new recommendations engine. We wanted to give you a heads-up about it however before we launch this update.

For full details, please see our blog post below:

READ FULL ARTICLE:
Introducing Trending and Recommendations on Envato Market

We’d love to hear your feedback about these two new features as we know exposure to items is something our authors have been very passionate and vocal about. We hope this is a positive first step towards a greater experience across Envato Market and we sincerely want to thank you for your patience while we researched and built these solutions. Enjoy!

1 Like

This looks awesome.

It’s nice to see changes are coming. :slight_smile:

Good feature, i hope all authors will benefit from it.

1 Like

Reading that full article was a bit scary… this sounds like a perfect way to get already popular items even more time in the spotlight… I’m pretty sure buyers will like it, but I don’t see how this is good for all authors. Where’s a proper search function with useful filters? :confused:

Excellent Features :slight_smile: Really helpful for all new good selling items… Thanks a lot for adding amazing features… Envato Keep Rcoking :smiley:

1 Like

Just in the last few days there have been 2 threads asking for better targeted items shown after you buy something. Yay!

1 Like

wow! That looks like quite a big new feature. Yay devs!

edit: is it easy to add a new webtrends flag to trending search result clicks so we can see if one of our items is trending through analytics? Like WT.trending=1 or something?

sightsignal said

Reading that full article was a bit scary… this sounds like a perfect way to get already popular items even more time in the spotlight… I’m pretty sure buyers will like it, but I don’t see how this is good for all authors. Where’s a proper search function with useful filters? :confused:

Yes, looks like another “What’s Shaking on the Hill”-Feature.

dtbaker said

wow! That looks like quite a big new feature. Yay devs!

edit: is it easy to add a new webtrends flag to trending search result clicks so we can see if one of our items is trending through analytics? Like WT.trending=1 or something?

Hey dtbaker, really glad you’re liking it! I think that should be possible, I’ll confirm for you but can’t see any reason why we won’t be able to add that in.

1 Like
sightsignal said

Hey sightsignal, that’s definitely not our intention with his feature. We appreciate the concerns that authors have about getting exposure to their new items, and Trending, among others, is an attempt to get more exposure to items that have had a little bit of interest and are just beginning their climb towards popularity, rather than rewarding just the items that are already at the top of the tree. We’re still tweaking the knobs, and will be continuing to do so over the next few weeks, to make sure that this is actually being reflected.

With regard to your wishes for additional functionality around search, I can’t say too much but I think you’ll be pleased with some additional releases we’ll be making in the not too distant future.

This awesome, Thanks Very much Envato :slight_smile:

sightsignal said

Reading that full article was a bit scary… this sounds like a perfect way to get already popular items even more time in the spotlight… I’m pretty sure buyers will like it, but I don’t see how this is good for all authors.

I strongly believe this could help smaller fishes to get noticed. The following quote:

We’re able to calculate the “trending-ness” of an item by looking at how excitement levels have increased or decreased recently, and translating this into a score which we can use to compare items with each other.

tells me that if you have a small item, but it’s doing pretty good on a specific week, it should rank higher than a huge item that sold 900 times this week, but did also sell 900 times the week before and the one before that (we all know who i am talking about :slight_smile: ).

I think this is a good new feature - thank you envato - and i am loving the amount of new implementations that have happened lately. Good work, keep going on the smooth transition of the market–places-- into one beautiful, efficient one-stop-shop.

simonswiss said

tells me that if you have a small item, but it’s doing pretty good on a specific week, it should rank higher than a huge item that sold 900 times this week, but did also sell 900 times the week before and the one before that (we all know who i am talking about :slight_smile: ).

Yep, that’s exactly the intention for this feature :slight_smile:

Have in mind the full article illustrates the “Trending” feature by using two items that are (and have been) currently up high in the Popular Items pages of themeforest… this may have confused my brain about the purpose of this feature. Guess I have to see it working live to understand…!

Anyway, good to know about those mysterious, search-related, additional releases in the not too distant future. :slight_smile:

The Trending part is something essential here, thanks for the implementation. If it works correctly, we should see atleast a slight increment of new items entry on weekly popular page.

Regarding Recommendations, as long as it doesn’t rely on sales number at any point, that’s safe. Thanks again.

VF said

Regarding Recommendations, as long as it doesn’t rely on sales number at any point, that’s safe.

...as buyers interact with an item, by viewing it, purchasing it or rating it highly, we accumulate these interactions into a level of measured excitement that tracks changes over time.
SurStudio said
VF said

Regarding Recommendations, as long as it doesn’t rely on sales number at any point, that’s safe.

...as buyers interact with an item, by viewing it, purchasing it or rating it highly, we accumulate these interactions into a level of measured excitement that tracks changes over time.

That was described for Trending part. That’s fine and we need.

When it comes to Recommendations, the sales number isn’t something ideal since we already have many pages to recommend based on sales.

(Trending and Recommendations are different features both unrelated)

Hey,

It’s a great feature and I believe it’s a great way to let good new items be seen even more. Thank you guys for your hard work :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Iman

Very cool ideas, I’m excited to see how this plays out! :slight_smile:

Cool! Can you please add that to our portfolio page also? So that we can view our items that are trending :slight_smile: . Thanks

Cheers!