Need Some Help Improving MacBook Pro Audio Output

Heya guys,

I have very little to no experience with audio equipment so I have come here where you creative professionals may or may not use this stuff everyday.

I have noticed that my MacBook Pro’s analog audio output is pretty crappy compared to even my iPhone or iPad. The sound is pretty flat and unimpressive compared to my iPhone even though I am playing the exact same source through the same headphones. Basically what I am interested in is running an optical audio cable out of my MBP into some sort of small, portable amp and then output to a normal 3.5mm audio cable to my headphones.

Is this the best way to do it and if so, does anyone know of any good amps or gadgets I should look into? Would appreciate any sort of help on this matter.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Try Boom.

tmthymllr said

Try Boom.

I recommend Boom as well, increases volume and you can do equalizer… I was like, this does nothing, turn equalizer off wow, music is so bland.

You could go with a USB DAC. I use a NuForce uDAC. Freaking love it!

aaranmcguire said
tmthymllr said

Try Boom.

I recommend Boom as well, increases volume and you can do equalizer… I was like, this does nothing, turn equalizer off wow, music is so bland.

I have Boom and it’s great for the internal speakers but it doesn’t change the fact that the audio outputted from the audio out port is poor. Basically, non-boosted but Boom-equalized sound is still much worse than the normal non-equalized sound from an iPhone, for example.

Anyway, I ordered a pre-amp/DAC that uses USB or optical out rather than analog so it should solve my problem.

Thanks guys!

Boom worked for what I need. It totally fixed my Macbook audio. I was so tired of bringing my laptop to my ear because I couldn’t hear the volume.