My WordPress plugin was rejected for quality

Hi everyone,

I recently submitted my plugin, “SMTP for WordPress - Reliable Email Delivery with Detailed Logs and Tracking,” to the Envato marketplace, but it was rejected. The feedback I received indicated that the plugin did not meet the quality standards required.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback or advice from the community on how to improve my plugin to meet the submission requirements. Here are some details about the plugin:

Plugin Features:

• SMTP Configuration: Configure and send emails via external SMTP servers.
  • Email Logging: Detailed logs for all sent emails.
  • Email Suspension: Manage and temporarily suspend email sending.
  • Advanced Tracking: Track email views and clicks.
  • License Activation: Secure activation of plugin features with a license key.

Documentation:

I have included a detailed HTML documentation file that covers the following:

• About the Plugin
  • How to Install
  • How to Activate
  • SMTP Configuration
  • Logs
  • Tools
  • Support

Feedback Received:

The main feedback from the Envato review team was that the plugin did not meet the quality standards. They did not provide specific details on what areas need improvement.

Request for Feedback:

1. Code Quality: Are there any specific coding standards or practices I should follow?
  2. UI/UX: How can I improve the user interface and user experience?
  3. Documentation: Does the documentation provide enough detail? What can be added or improved?
  4. Functionality: Are there any additional features that would make this plugin more useful or appealing?
  5. General Advice: Any other tips or advice to help me meet the Envato submission requirements?

Thank you in advance for your time and help. Your feedback will be invaluable in helping me improve my plugin and successfully submit it to the Envato marketplace.

Hello, @raoliz . I don’t intend to discourage you, but in many cases, if there are existing free or paid plugins that offer similar functionality, Envato may not approve new plugins with redundant features.

Regarding your specific plugin, it’s essential to consider its unique value proposition. Given the abundance of free options available on WordPress.org, users might wonder why they should choose your plugin over those alternatives. Is there a distinctive feature or functionality that sets your plugin apart?

1 Like

Hello, @UnitedOver

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You bring up a valid point about existing options for SMTP on WordPress.org. However, most of the plugins we’ve reviewed offer free versions with significant limitations, requiring an annual subscription to unlock features like email logs.

Our goal is to differentiate by providing a one-time payment option for users to access email logs and tracking of opens and clicks. Additionally, we plan to expand integrations with Amazon SES and add more functionalities in a second version.

We believe this approach offers a unique value proposition for users looking for a more cost-effective solution. We would be happy to hear more about your perspective on this and if you think it would be a valuable offering.

Let me share my perspective on two types of use cases for these plugins:

1. Simple Use: In some cases, hosting providers don’t allow users to send emails using PHP mailer, or their websites encounter other issues preventing email delivery. In such situations, users won’t pay just to fix their email functionality. If they are willing to pay, they would opt for transactional or promotional email services like SendGrid, Twilio, or Amazon SES. What matters to them is that they can send emails for free, either using SMTP or PHP mailer via one of the free plugins:
  1. Marketing Use: Users with marketing needs will appreciate additional features like link tracking and detailed email logging. However, these features are not essential for daily users. If marketing requirements arise, users often switch to services like Mailchimp, Twilio, or SendGrid. These services offer extensive dashboards for tracking all aspects of email campaigns. Even if users seek a plugin, there are numerous well-established email newsletter plugins available.

In summary, your product should offer something unique that isn’t already provided, or it may not find a compelling use case.

PS: We’ve used Post SMTP in the past for similar use cases. :blush:

1 Like

Hello, @UnitedOver

Thank you for sharing your detailed perspective. We appreciate your insights on the two types of use cases for these plugins. Your perspective has been very helpful.

We believe the best course of action now is to proceed with offering our plugin on WordPress.org, while adding new functionalities to capture a share of the existing market. Our goal is to provide a unique and valuable solution that stands out by addressing both simple and marketing use cases effectively.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

1 Like