My MIDI Keyboard passed away. May it rest in peace.

Hey guys and gals!

Here goes a non sales-drop related ranting post for a change. :slight_smile:

So, as the title states my MIDI keyboard (an M-AUDIO Axiom 61) finally died. It had always been quite a headache, to tell you the truth, with the pitch and mod wheel sending random data and all that crap, but I always loved the feel, weight and size of the keys so I refused to let it go… until today. May he rest in peace. :coffin:

So right now I’m looking for a replacement and I have a few models in mind. I don’t want to spend a huge budget as I’m not a pianist and I don’t use it thaaaat often, yet I do want to keep the 61 keys and a few knobs to fool around. Ideally, something around or below U$S500.

• Code-61 was an option but I’ve read a lot of bad reviews and it seems to be discontinued. It’s also quite expensive and TBH M-AUDIO has let me down plenty of times with CCs issues before (random MIDI data).
  • Keystations are not an option as I do want to mess with at least 2 or 3 knobs.
  • Oxygen Pro 61… maybe.
  • Alesis V61… well, it might do the trick… I doubt the keys have the weight feel I loved so much from my death Axiom.
  • Rolland A800. I tried this one and overall I liked it but I really hate that MOD/Pitch stick. It’s absolutely unfriendly when used with lots of Kontakt libraries.

So… any suggestions? In the meantime I’m hanging in with a tiny MPKMini! :rofl:

Cheers and thanks in advance!

I think Komplete Kontrol looks very interesting, but i’ve never tried it myself.

1 Like

I can strongly recommend the Komplete Kontrol Sxx MK2 series. I own a S49 MK2 and that’s the first keyboard I am really satisfied with.
I owned a Axiom Pro 61 too, bit mine died wirh the BSoD. M-Audio has rhe most bad support I’ve ever experienced.

1 Like

I have an Oxygen and i am happy with it.
I never played an Axiom so i can´t tell you is there is a difference in the weight of keys.
I would like to think if they come from the same company there is no too much difference as if you change to another brand.

But if you want to record some hits, you should try something like this, just a few people remember this and maybe you will create a new style for them, a WOW what is this new sound!!?..

Casio_vl-1

1 Like

I had one of those. The demo tune will be ingrained in my brain until the day I die.
da da-da-da-da-daa d-da daa da-da-da-da-daa…

It’s a solid construction, you can use this thing as a cricket bat. It’s portable and easy to use… (you don’t have to worry about silly features like velocity, mod or pitchbend or anything like that) and you’ll get at least an hour battery life out of the four AA’s it uses. The keys do get stuck from time to time, but they double up as a calculator so you can add up all of the AJ sales you’ll make with it!

1 Like

Yes, for example, the “samba” rhythm is a must!!

2 Likes

I’m really happy with my Oxigen, but everyone has different opinions when they try it, so I really dunno

Don’t laugh TOO much - some of my earliest sold commercial jingles were produced using that thing and an Otari 1/2 inch 8-track - in 1983!

Good times! :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

@Manriquedelara, @criskcracker and @St-TropezMedia, I’d never EVER understimate the beautiy of a Casiotone, I love them so much, specially the built in rythms and the electric piano sound. I still own mine from the 80s, but nowadays I admit plugins are my go-to even when reproducing those unique sounds.

So, Komplete definitely sounds sounds a like a solid candidate. I did tried both Oxygen and Axiom and the main difference is precisely the key weight feel. Anyway, I can live with that and the Oxygen PRO is not thaaaaat expensive. With all this pandemic Komplete Kontrol are not arriving to were I live so I’ll wait a few weeks and otherwise go for the Oxygen.

@Daydreamz-Studios, I agree. M-AUDIO has quite a bad reputation, and I tell this from experience, not from reviews. All my units (used Ozones in the early 2000s, then Oxygen, then Axiom) and all of them had the same issue. Pitch and Modwheel spitting random MIDI data and changing the sound while I was recording, so I had to go back and erase the CCs info which was quite time consuming…

Anyway… making my choice these days and will let you guys know. Thanks so much for your help, guys! You’re the best!

P.S.: Sales are utterly dead! :pirate_flag: :rofl:

2 Likes

That is why im drinking again… :joy:

2 Likes

Look at the arturia keylabs, they are amazing and build like a tank. I think you can grab used one for a low price.

I own Arturia Keylab 61 and Komplete 88 mk2, and honestly I should’ve buy Arturia 88 keyboard instead of Komplete… Native Instruments is not bad, but Arturia offers so much more and the feel and look is awesome. I’m kind of a fan boy, but they are really awesome.
When one of my keys broke after a few years of playing, I contacted support and they’ve sent me the whole new keybed directly from their factory in France. For free! And my warranty wasn’t valid anymore :slight_smile: Arturia rocks! :wink:

1 Like

This seems exactly what I’m looking for, and if it’s @WaveToys certified there’s not much to add. This one, both in black and white, is available on nearby stores and is quite affordable. Is this the model you have?

1 Like

Looking sharp as a razor for a surfer / 90s indie rocker! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have an old Keylab 61 model from 2015., this is MK2 (on the picture is “mini” or “essentials” version, not sure how it’s called… you also have regular model with 16 pads and a bit larger)
Will upgrade to MK2 this year! :wink:

1 Like

I use a vintage Yamaha EX5 that I’ve had forever. It’s used mainly as a midi controller these days, but I’m happy with it.

1 Like

Yeah. And yet, the mini has more features than I could possibly need. Besides, I just can’t resist the “wooden” sides details. I think it’s the one. Well, let’s see they have stock available. Will keep you posted.

Thanks everyone! Really helpful tips! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great, if you don’t need 16 pads I think there’s no other difference than cosmetics :wink: (check if the keys are standard size like on regular model, I think they are)

1 Like

Will do. Thx! :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my drunken opinion, i Just use the piano to play ring ring rong, after that i add the effects…
Mmmm i wanted to write more irrelevant text using some u2’s vídeos

1 Like