My first Video tutorial - Refractions in Element 3Dv2

Hello everyone! I want to introduce first release of my video tutorial! Where I will show you how to create awesome and realistic refraction in After effects and Element 3D. More precisely how to generate refract internal parts inside a 3D object. I hope there are a lot of interesting things you can do with it on videohive:)
Enjoy!

Some feedback:

First you use the zdepth as a luma matte, then you remove the luma matte later, you end up not using the zdepth at all so what’s the point?

I did not understand why you used it as luma matte in the first place.

You are not only refracting the logo but also two copies of element 3D, this might be intentional but I’m not so sure about that. In general, the whole tutorial seems a bit random. (edit: in the end you change one of the layers to the blinks, so that makes more sense now. However, first you copy the layer, then you do something else, then later you change that to the blinks. does not really make sense when watching it)

The refraction effect this video is about is simply using the normal output from element as displacement map, this is the valuable information here and it does not really stand out from all the other “do this, then do this”.

All you do has no explanation, it is simply saying what you click, not why you do that or what effect it should have.

I like tutorials that show the full effect from start to finish, but as a long time AE user I sometimes wondered during this video about what you actually want to achieve right now…

Wooow! Great feedback! :slight_smile:
In the future I will make more tutorials and definitely try to fix all your wishes. So thank you very match for feedback! I appreciate it!

Cool, looking forward to them!

About Z-Depth.
Z-Depth map is always b/w so luma/inv.luma matte is the way it should work. He wanted to use z-depth in order to have certain area of a layer which will cover logo with a screen mode. But later he decided that there is no difference and used whole layer over logo =)

So logic to use z-depth map was to create smaller overlay area for smoother blending