Musical IQ Test.

Hahahah, hear this guys: Last week I started teaching a course on a local institute and, talking about the concept of frequency and the human hearing range I proposed a tone sweep test from 20 to 20kHz. Horrorized, I discovered I’m absolutely deaf to a pure tone from 2800 to 4500 in my left ear. CREEPY.

So that’s probably why my sales have been so lousy lately, Elements and price dumping had nothing to do with it… my bad.

2 Likes

I can lend you some of my tinnitus freqs if you want :joy:

1 Like

Have mine.:smiley: But if is free…why not!

1 Like

I hear you, no wait my left-hand side is partially deaf. Man this sucks.

1 Like

@gballx . Same.Neurological internal ear trauma.:neutral_face:

1 Like

It’s a crazy not-so-common side effect of MS.

1 Like

oh.Ms as Ms??. Multiple Sclerosis? Man i am really sorry.

That’s alright, a bummer but it’s one of those things.

I’m Really sorry to hear that …

Thx man, but no thanks, hahaha! Unlike sales, I have quite a few of those already and they continue to grow. I just was a bit shocked when I threw that damn sine sweep in my left ear and sudenly… silence. Nothing. Zero. Well, like sales!!!

Anyway, enjoy your friday guys! :slight_smile: :beers:

I actually did this about a year ago, but the test said it was fine to take again, so I did!

Last year (4th April 2020):

Today:

Just goes to show it depends on the day!

2 Likes

It may sounds really dumb, but i believe the better your musical sense and konwledge is, the less one may succed in music business these days. And i am not talking about RF markets or Sync libraries only. Mainstream and Film music is touched also. The power of perception is exponentially decreasing, and i do not believe we got smarter, and better. The general audience, became less demanding and shallow on exponentially scale. All those little cheating apps and vsts, construction kits, full musical phrases and beats, raised an entire army of sub-mediocre ‘artists’ which , sadly, will slowly replace everything authentic and unique.

4 Likes

Rick Beato’s episode of «What makes this song great?» with Seal’s «Kiss from a rose» is a perfect illustration of how «far» pop music has come the last 20 years. Now it takes 9 producers to come up with the same 4 chords everyone else is using. That’s the impression one gets when listening to the top 40, anyway. (But then again, that was what I also felt in the 90s when I compared it to music from the 70s.)

2 Likes

@Hyperprod . Agree. I also believe if Toto, Steely Dan, Genesis and thousands of musicians were born these days they were playing in pubs. I’ve met people who considered them obsolete. One funny thing that happened to me a few months ago.I sent the preproduction of the track to the editor and his answer was to ’ shorten the version ’ to the maximum of 2:10- 2:20. I was politely asked if he has limited space on his hdd :wink:, and he politely told me that the young audience suffers from a form of ADHD and they cannot focus on longer periods of time ! No joke ! God help me if I ever told my dad i suffer from ADHD. One shot well deserved KO.

3 Likes

:joy:I think the way people are listening to music these days is partly to blame. I myself don’t listen to whole albums like used to before. It’s to easy to skip tracks and making playlists of favourite tracks and so on. At the same time my kid listens to the same 2 or 3 tracks over and over again for weeks like I used to listen to my favourite albums in the 80s.

3 Likes

Rick Beato is one of those people would would definitely get a perfect score on this musical IQ test haha. Love his channel, especially his videos on music theory. So much useful information and he gives it to us for free which is amazing.

2 Likes

Interesting discussion. I’ve had many thoughts about this phenomenon over the years and I drew a similar conclusion to you @Hyperprod. I think it’s all about what the kids are actually into. As a kid in the '80s and '90s, I didn’t have much distraction. Shít TV that mostly played programmes aimed at adults and VHS movies which were expensive to rent. That meant I had to get my entertainment from either playing outside with mates, playing video games, or playing and listening to music. I would spend time just listening to music. It sounds strange to say it, but I don’t think many people really do that anymore. There are too many other distractions to take up the spare time. Young people get their music force-fed to them through their mobile phones and I think they generally listen at a much more surface level whilst checking their likes and scrolling up to the next instantly forgettable post in the feed. So a lot of the pop scene is populated with music in that similar vain… music to be skimmed over and instantly forgotten. I think over the last three decades, pop music has become more and more for people who just aren’t into music, or see music as just something to fill the background silence.

That’s not to say that I think all pop music is bad these days. There’s still a lot of quality new stuff out there, you just have to dig a little bit to find it. But I’m sure most music lovers don’t mind having to do that. In fact, for me, digging is one of the best parts of the experience. I remember when Red Hot Chili Peppers released ‘Give it Away’ and I started to hear it out and about. My first thought was, ‘Wow, that’s really awesome!’, but there was a little bit of me that thought, ‘But Chili Peppers were mine! Now the world will steal them and they will never be the same again!’. Alas, thus was their fate :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

100% agree with this. It’s much more about production skills in this industry. Pair that with a basic knowledge of music theory and pop chord progressions and you’re pretty much golden as far as AJ is concerned!

1 Like

Does it really? Or is it just a way to get everyone involved paid somehow, regardless of actual contribution?

2 Likes