Music Streaming Revenue Explained Simply

This is both sad and hilarious. :sob::laughing:

Thanks for sharing!

Now excuse me as i go… laugh… and cry…

Beautiful vocal and animation!

Could’ve, no should’ve, ironically monetised that video

By the way Envato, it’s time to raise prices a good 15% (again) here. It’s also time to display all license types more clearly so customers can immediately see all pricing options and not just $19. Thanks for posting Flossie. I still never understood why anyone would agree to stream their songs on Spotify. It just makes no sense at all. When you stream songs on spotify, your revenue is $0!

Prices should be $30 for standard license.

We were born in the wrong era?

This is the saddest movie I’ve seen in a long time!
@MeGustaMusic: I don’t think people would have bought your music back then…:smile:
So I like to think of it as a plea for not giving your music away to easily. RF is already bottom price.

Wow… That’s really tragical to watch! :frowning:

LOL :slight_smile: Really cool song.

Yeah, back in the day (I did not exist in that time) you could actually take time and listen to all the recorded music out there. When the band had only one shot in the production phase - and if someone screwed up, it was on the vinyl forever :slight_smile: But today everyone with a calculator makes cd quality music and revenues are accordingly lower.

When I was a kid, people had to spend their lifetime savings to hire a studio for a few days and make their idea a reality. Today I can make ideas come to life every single day for virtually no money and compete with the biggest names in the industry. I think it’s a great time to live in.

Thanks for sharing Flossie. What a clever song…and sad message of changing times.

Music is so underrated today…I hear alot of quality compositions that someone composed and invested alot more then just VSTs …There are people who really give alot to get a penny…If it were not sad, it would be funny…I honestly hope that things will change here and elsewhere.

Well, 50 years ago 99% of us would’ve had 0 chance of making ANY money at all.

Like @PhotonicMusic said, I also think it’s a great time to live in. Yes, streaming royalties should be higher, but more people can make a living doing music today than before.

Just being able to license music and make a good living from that was completely impossible 30 years ago unless you were famous, had access to expensive studios and/or with the (difficult to get) right connections. And you also had to live in the right place.

This is a great, great time for most musicians who use all the great new opportunities out there.

It is great time in some respects, but its probably never been so difficult for new bands etc to break through, it’s over-saturated, there is an unbelievable amount of competition, when you look at some of the lame artists and bands that managed to chart their songs back in the day and compare it to new emerging artists today, it’s shocking really.

There is a lot of music theft, plagiarism and copyright infringement going on all the time. I think that needs acknowledging and addressing. Just saying oh, it’s okay cos at least we are making a bit of money is not good enough. I’m owed thousands from someone using my music without my permission for the trailer and within the film. Still trying to sort it out.

I don’t take kindly to people ripping me off personally.

And that’s a bad thing?

I can agree that it can be more difficult to make it as a band than, say the 80s, but it’s the golden age for producers. I think it’s a great thing that a producer can now actually get the recognition of an artist, instead of being hidden in the shadows with the vocalist who spends 5 hours in the studio getting all the fame.

This is certainly nothing new. It’s been going on since the beginning of time, it’s just that now it’s easier to discover it and it happens faster. Led Zeppelin?

There are several artists in countries (40s, 50s, 60s, 70s) outside the US that built their entire careers on making versions of popular songs in their native languages. And no, it wasn’t cover songs where the original artists got paid, they just translated the lyrics and called it their own song. No one knew and it was basically impossible to discover.