It was really hard to find any helpful tutorials on developing Magento Extensions, so I’ve decided to put together a basic tutorial and some example code for other developers.
This is what I will try to cover:
- how to install a Magento extension from a zip file
- basic file structure of an extension, and what the different xml files do
- how to add menu buttons to the top “admin” area.
- how to add menu buttons to the users “my account” area.
- how to add user configurable options to the admin “settings” area.
- how to add widgets to the sidebar of the front end shop.
- basics of accessing mysql via the Magento api.
- how to setup language files for translations.
For those who are interested in creating magento extensions, is there anything you would like me to include in a tutorial?
eta: end of Feb 2011.