M-Audio Midisport owners beware of OSX Yosemite

Hi AJers,

I have a few midi interfaces I use but just discovered that Midisport devices in general are not yet compatible with OSX Yosemite, so those that rely on these interfaces should not upgrade operating system just yet. It will brick it.

See here:

There are workarounds, but way too tedious to bother with. Stay with your current operating system for the time being.

Just wanted to give those people a heads up and avoid potential dramas. Hopefully M-Audio will sort this out soon, but they don’t seem to update their drivers that often.

Hi Jamie,

I don’t use M-Audio or OSX but it’s very kind of you to inform us. :slight_smile: Thanks.

Rule #1:

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever upgrade to the first release of a new OS if you rely on your computer for work.

I agree with prestashopthemes. I’m still using Mountain Lion and everything works so perfect that I’m not gonna perform and upgrade till it’s gonna be required. I mean what’s so revolutionary about yosemite ?

yep, still on mountain lion here too, everything just works… what I need is faster machine running that same osx…that will be my next update…

Music software and hardware developers seem to be particularly tardy when it comes to keeping up with the latest OS version. General Yosemite compatibility, certainly for non-music apps, is from my experience excellent. There’s been a public beta out for months so hopefully most devs have tested and updated their software.

prestashopthemes said

Rule #1:

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever upgrade to the first release of a new OS if you rely on your computer for work.

Completely agree with this. And yet do I actually follow the rule? Nope! I’ll never learn.

Thanks for the headsup Jamie. Also, we can add Waves License Center to the list of currently incompatible applications. If transferring or adding Waves plugin licenses in Yosemite, you can currently only do this by adding it to a USB drive, and running them from there, as WLC is currently showing ‘Synchronisation Error’ when attempting to sign in and install licenses natively.

Also, Focusrite’s VRM Box interface no longer works on Yosemite as it’s too difficult for them to implement on Apple’s new kernel for DSP based hardware. Focusrite have informed me that they will no longer support this piece of hardware going forward. Basically, I just got myself a new paperweight.

I didnt update yet because i cant find any info if Logic 9 works…

Good to know, thanks!

AlumoAudio said

Also, we can add Waves License Center to the list of currently incompatible applications. If transferring or adding Waves plugin licenses in Yosemite, you can currently only do this by adding it to a USB drive, and running them from there, as WLC is currently showing ‘Synchronisation Error’ when attempting to sign in and install licenses natively.

Update: This has now been updated, and just received confirmation from Waves:

We are pleased to announce that all Waves Native plugins V9 as well as the Waves License Center are now fully compatible with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
This can be downloaded from here.

The last time I was trying Presonus FireStudioMobile and it didn’t work with Yosemite at the time for me.

So be aware of this too. But all companies are now slowly updating their drivers and software for the new OS X. :slight_smile:

I learned the hard way not to update to the latest OS, and won’t make that mistake twice!

Matt - that really sucks about the VRM box - I have the same unit. as a software dev, I think they are BSing about the reason. It just doesn’t make sense, I guess I’ll have to fallback to the Toneboosters plugin.

-Gari

KabbalisticVillage said

I didnt update yet because i cant find any info if Logic 9 works…

Logic Pro X is working fine, except my 6 year old USB MBox 2 audio interface doesn’t connect upon start up. I plug it in after startup, then it works perfectly. Apparently, Yosemite isn’t accepting the start up plugin from Avid Digidesign. Hope they update the the plug in. However, totally digging Yosemite, its noticeably much faster in just about every way. Yeah, if you haven’t upgraded yet, and your system is working fine, wait for further updates. Cheers!

prestashopthemes said

Rule #1:

+100

gbiasillo said

I learned the hard way not to update to the latest OS, and won’t make that mistake twice!

Matt, that really sucks about the VRM box - I have the same unit. as a software dev, I think they are BSing about the reason. It just doesn’t make sense, I guess I’ll have to fallback to the Toneboosters plugin.

-Gari

Here’s their actual response below on the matter Gari, just in case you hadn’t seen it yourself. Well, at least it can now act as a ‘high quality’ headphone output as well as a paperweight. Multi purpose! :wink:

!http://i.imgur.com/8apcjs2.png!

From that, it sounds like they simply don’t want to put the time/effort/$$$$ into upgrading their drivers.

I wish that I could remember what we use to do when old things didn’t work on new Macs. It has been many years, but it seemed like from desktop you clicked Go and utilities and terminal maybe and you could start anything on a newer OSX from there by using Legacy Drivers that were still in your machine but not accessible. Sorry I couldn’t be more help, but it might be worth a try. Also you had to do it every time you booted. Good Luck.

Yosemite is really cool, actually! Really loving the new looks.
I forgot to worry about any software version errors, and suddenly my Focusrite pro56 stopped working after updating. Yikes! Luckily there was a Yosemite update available already from their website. Problem solved.

IMHO Mac OS forwards/backwards compatibility is truly pitiful. Makes me almost want to not develop things for the MAC platform. Backwards compatibility on Windows is solid. Things that run on Vista run on Windows 7 run on Windows 8, because the core windows dll’s and functions hardly ever change and there isn’t much depreciation, whereas Mac OS X is always a can of worms. Even though I just develop simple plugins, you never quite know what parts of the Cocoa Framework are going to become depreciated (for example). Very frustrating. I wouldn’t really blame developers, I’d blame apple for needlessly changing things around on EVERY UPDATE to OS X and making developers scramble to figure out what subtle little changes have occurred.

Didn’t many people have problems with Mavericks as well? Interface’s stop working etc A colleague of mine had to buy a new interface for this very reason, it’s not good really.