Loudness Perspective

The subject of “loudness” comes up every once in a while in this forum.

I’ve recently found this lecture from Alan Silverman entitled “The Future of Mastering: Loudness in the Age of Music Streaming” which I found quite interesting.

Seeing as how almost 100% of the content we produce is consumed via one streaming service or another, whether broadcast or online, I’d love to hear your thoughts about how this applies to us as music authors/producers.

Enjoy the lecture, and there’s more to dive into if you check out “The Future of Music Production” panel from MixCon 2019, sponsored by iZotope. Just give it a quick search on YouTube.

4 Likes

Obviously the lecture talks about streaming and makes complete sense. Thanks for posting :slight_smile: I think it has complications here?

This thread is a really good read.

1 Like

I know this is a really old thread but for people who come through later I found the information on by the makers of Dynameter on the MeterPlugs website really informative. All the plugins there can be used to help aim at loudness targets for different online platforms. https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLwDdPfbhI3nSNo-G0OY4U_dC6dqrqINzC&v=HW8Te1KqZrg&feature=emb_imp_woyt

I like the idea. I was under the impression though that all tracks are already being carefully reviewed, and those that containing excess compression or clipping would not make it through to begin with?

Also at the end of the day I feel like the market solves this problem by itself. If the track is over-compressed to the point where it causes noticeable degradation in quality, the buyer will be able to hear that and probably won’t buy the track, right? On the other hand, if the buyer does purchase the track, then that means that it meets that particular buyer’s needs and it shouldn’t matter how it was mixed or mastered as long as the customer is happy with the product.

I’m a newcomer myself but I’ve listened through a lot of tracks and the ones that stand out are able to do so without relying on excessive loudness. At the end of the day I think proper mixing and good songwriting and arrangement will always shine through and you can never compensate for a poor mix by over-compressing or over-limiting. If people are squashing their tracks they’re only hurting themselves as it will ultimately result in fewer sales over time vs. if they had mixed their tracks properly.