Lose your installation = Lose your license

Hello,

I come to Envato Market due to the simplicity of acquiring a product and keeping it updated.

I have asked authors about working localhost before deploying and they always replied ‘no problem’

However, the product below requires an uninstall of license from one system before installing in another.

Many/Most? users have no backup or a defective backup. An incident on the first system, such as a hack or a theft, means they will have to buy products a second time.

Is domain control something available to authors in the Envato panel?

For a product that runs without the internet such as the one listed above, the danger having to buy the products repeatedly should be clearly communicated to customers. Currently it is not clearly communicated.

For me, Envato has a reputation for no-nonsense simplicity, but with the experience described above, that reputation has taken a knock.

controll through Author own database systems. and they should have unregister and register license (reuse license) options in case of customer need to migrate hosting or run a new domian instead of old domian but one license will work only for one end product.

For any technical query please contact Item Author and let them know How to Contact your purchased theme Author.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I already contacted the author.

" and they should have unregister and register license (reuse license) options "

This is true but it requires the first installation to be online.

Lose your installation through theft or some other mishap and you lose your license.

That is the situation… Is it true generally for Envato products?

Customers should be warned about this by Envato.

I think not because if you tell them (Author support team) that your first installation is not accessable at all or removed then author support team will be able to do unregister the license from their side or have options for customer to do it from customer side from the author support systems account dashboard. In this case you have to prove you are the right person (purchase code prove) for doing this.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks

I am 95% sure that most authors can deactivate licenses without them being online. It might be easier if they are, but it’s not a pre-requisite.

To answer some of the other points… (FYI as a big buyer I agree that being able to have a live staging environment is important)

Sorry, that is on the buyer - there’s no excuse not to have proper back ups.

It kind of is as it’s right at the start of all of the licenses which I am hoping people would read before buying

The issue is that without this restriction (even if authors offered ‘double’ installation) then it opens things up to mis-use and unfortunately makes things easier for the less genuine users that do exist.

As I said I agree with you that a staging process is important, but it’s a difficult situation for authors and envato to balance the needs, expectation and protection of both buyers and authors

1 Like

charlie428, Thanks for the comment.

Yes, “it’s a difficult situation for authors and envato to balance the needs, expectation and protection of both buyers and authors”

As mgscoder suggests, most authors will probably help a customer with system loss.

I posted this question because I have 2 situations (not Envato) where license was lost - simply because I was not warned that “lose your installation = lose your license”. It was not crash, or no backup - simply reinstalling on the same computer.

Customers do not expect this - it should be labelled on the tin (not buried in license conditions text that nobody reads).