Looking for help with first upload!

Hi All,

I’m dipping back into AJ after some rejects a few years ago, I think I’ve improved enough since then to now have a proper go at it! I’d love some advice on whether you guys think this tune is ready to be uploaded, in terms of commercial appeal etc. or mix, anything relevant.

Thanks very much in advance :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

Hey Joe. It is a good track. The build is consistent, the vibe is good.Sadly i cannot speak about the mix. On crappy earbuds right now.But it translates good on phone speakers and that is really important. The piano lead is good, catchy. Maybe if you can add some delay on it in order to give ot a bit more sustain it would be great.I wouldn’t advice to use longer notes. Might give it an obsolete vibe, which you do not want to. Also one of the chords seems a bit shady. The second inversion of the second bar.You might either change the guitar or the bass.Hope that helps.Cheers.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for your helpful advice :slight_smile:

Much appreciated!

Cheers
Joe

1 Like

Great track! Very slick production. Only thing I would change, is making the kick a bit lower and deeper, so it functions more as a supporting sub layer and fits in better. But that could be really just my personal taste, so what do the other AJ’ers think?

2 Likes

Thanks for your response, appreciate it :slight_smile: Good point, I hadn’t thought of that too much to be honest.

Cheers!
Joe

also in my opinion the kick needs to be fixed but otherwise it sounds good!

1 Like

The mix is 100% where it needs to be. You can change the kick drum if you want but it’s up to you. I don’t think it will make much of a difference, personally I think this will be accepted either way because the overall mix is very solid.

If I were going to change one thing, it’s that C# major 9 chord which is a bit unconventional (the one at 0:02)… and also you have a very closed voicing on it. I understand why you want to use this voicing, because it works well for voice leading with the other chords… but if it were me I would just use C# major 7 without the 9th. Most of your other chords are 7th chords or regular triads so the 9th just sounds more complicated than the other chords and a bit out of place. But that’s just me. Nothing wrong with 9th chords so if you want to keep it then that’s probably okay.

1 Like

Thanks for the response man :slight_smile: This is the eternal question, creativity vs simplicity. You’re right, it’s a more unconventional choice for sure. Hoping it’ll blend enough to keep the reviewers happy. I’ve sent it off now, so we’ll see if I can get away with it!

Cheers
Joe

Great track ,sounds good,for audiojungle just what need.

1 Like

Thanks v much :slight_smile: