(Locked) MP4 H264 file to MOV H264 file with similar video quality?

So I have a couple of videos in MP4 H264 format and I need to convert them to MOV because videohive doesn’t accept MP4 files for the After Effects project category.

But the problem is I can’t get the MOV files to look the same quality as the MP4 one. The quicktime version looks worse, and they are also 6 times heavier. example below.

The MP4 version have some artifacts but the videos are used inside the project with some effects on top so is not visible at HD resolution but the quicktime version is worse. Both videos had been converted from high resolution sequence of PSD files rendered from Cinema 4D.

Render to PNG or JPEG version is out of the question since I will get around 1.5 Gb of total size for all videos.

I personally consider Apple and their software a complete pile of crap and I frankly don’t understand why we can’t use MP4 files in our project but the point is what settings should I use to get this minor problem fixed and get my file out of the soft reject area.

Anyone knows a solution, or some type of settings that I could use?

How do I get the same settings from MP4 H264 settings tab (with the codec level and the rest) in the Quicktime H264 settings tab where is just a “spatial quality slider” (that I put at 100%)

Thank You.

doru said

So I have a couple of videos in MP4 H264 format and I need to convert them to MOV because videohive doesn’t accept MP4 files for the After Effects project category.

But the problem is I can’t get the MOV files to look the same quality as the MP4 one. The quicktime version looks worse, and they are also 6 times heavier. example below.

The MP4 version have some artifacts but the videos are used inside the project with some effects on top so is not visible at HD resolution but the quicktime version is worse. Both videos had been converted from high resolution sequence of PSD files rendered from Cinema 4D.

Render to PNG or JPEG version is out of the question since I will get around 1.5 Gb of total size for all videos.

I personally consider Apple and their software a complete pile of crap and I frankly don’t understand why we can’t use MP4 files in our project but the point is what settings should I use to get this minor problem fixed and get my file out of the soft reject area.

Anyone knows a solution, or some type of settings that I could use?

How do I get the same settings from MP4 H264 settings tab (with the codec level and the rest) in the Quicktime H264 settings tab where is just a “spatial quality slider” (that I put at 100%)

Thank You.

Quicktime is used as the video format of choice in every single high-end creative facility that I’ve worked in for over 20 years…without exception… and that’s for a very good reason. It’s a solid and flexible architecture with one of the best built in ranges of codecs there is. QT Player has its issues, admittedly… especially QTX and I’ve heard the PC implementation is not as stable.

But it appears that you’re badmouthing Apple for Adobe’s implementation of the QT h.264 codec, (I assume that you’re rendering directly out of After Effects) which doesn’t offer all of the options… and in particular doesn’t use multi-pass encoding. Use Quicktime Pro and you’ll get all the options and generally better results than compressing to mp4.

Or alternatively, you can delete the .mp4 off the end of your mp4 and change it to .mov. Hey presto! It’s a Quicktime!

felt_tips said

(I assume that you’re rendering directly out of After Effects) which doesn’t offer all of the options… and in particular doesn’t use multi-pass encoding.

I need to render some compositions that have inside the high quality image sequence and different effects. Those compositions will then get replaced by the external videos in MOV format inside the final project. Now I’m trying to render them as image sequence and then convert using the Adobe Media encoder. edit: nope, doesn’t work :frowning: same result Yet even the Adobe Media Encoder doesn’t have for Quicktime the advanced controls H264 settings offers

felt_tips said

Use Quicktime Pro and you’ll get all the options and generally better results than compressing to mp4.

I have Quicktime Pro how do I render with Quicktime on windows?

felt_tips said

Or alternatively, you can delete the .mp4 off the end of your mp4 and change it to .mov. Hey presto! It’s a Quicktime!

Don’t know the reviewer will like this :slight_smile: What if he reads this tread?

felt_tips said

But it appears that you’re badmouthing Apple for Adobe’s implementation of the QT h.264 codec

Actually I have some feelings against Apple because he destroyed Flash. :smiley:

doru said

I have Quicktime Pro how do I render with Quicktime on windows?

• Open Quicktime Player
  • Open your movie
  • choose File->Export
  • Make sure that in the dialog box that comes up, under Export you have selected Movie to Quicktime Movie
  • Click on Options to see all the options.

Then you need to play with the settings a bit, but my advice, use a multi-pass encode, optimize for download, leave keyframes automatic, use frame re-ordering. If bandwidth is not an issue, leave the Data Rate on Automatic and the Quality Slider on High or Best. Otherwise, you can limit the data-rate to whatever you want.

I will try this just to see how it works, but now I’m exporting all the files as Quick Time Photo_Jpeg at 97 percent quality. With a bit of luck I will remain under 1GB of size.

I wanted to save some bandwidth for envato but if they don’t want MP4 files then what can I do? :slight_smile:

Thank You felt_tips, always helpful on the forum, king_dog should give you that superstar community badge, you deserve it.

Victory! 920 MB! :slight_smile:

Now seven hours of uploading :frowning:

aww, :frowning:

just spam.