Licensing rules for one domain, but technically multiple Git repositories

We want to use an Angular template in a single End Product, that will be deployed in a single domain (example.com, api1.example.com, feature2.example.com ) for production. (Multiple sub-domains but the same End Product.)

Q1: What if we deploy a staging and development version that we use during development. These deployements are intended only for development and testing purposes. Do we have to buy a new license for each of these deployments?

Q2: What if the End Product is composed of 20 Git projects and they all use the same Angular template, but the End Product is deployed for production into the same domain and all the 20 Git projects make up the single End Product. We have 20 Git projects in order to facilitate faster development. Do we have to buy 20 licenses?

Thank you!

Zoltán

Hello, I think you can do so.

Regular licence means that 1 template = 1 product = 1 website, and also you can not resell template even if you edit it completly. But I think for your needs it is OK.

You can read more licence rules here License FAQ | ThemeForest.

Hello,

Thank you for your kind answer!

A definitive answer from Envato is necessary, as the License FAQ does not cover these questions, moreover, the License is very superficial, high level. As I see users are having a hard time figuring out the legals behind this, thus, may discourage many others in using and depending on themplates.

I would kindly wait for an official answer.

Zoltán

Yeah, Envato is a famous in read a lot of stuff and then you are able to do something.

I also recommend to you write directly to envato support https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us

Where is direct Envato support? I see the option for the forum and for the FAQ or the blog.

In other forum threads related to licensing, Envato members either submit conflicting opinions or none at all. This shall significanly reduce trust among content providers and consumers as well. Answers to licensing are important.

Here https://help.market.envato.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005593363-Do-I-need-a-Regular-License-or-an-Extended-License- in the bottom of the page

Thanks, I submitted an inquiry. I’ll update this thread if I receive an answer.

Here is the official response for the same inquiry I kicked-off this thread with.

All of our licenses on the ThemeForest and CodeCanyon Market sites are for a single use. If you’re looking to use the item/template on multiple sites, then one or both of the following situations may apply:

If the item is used on one domain, and/or multiple subdomains, one license will generally suffice (one installation). For example:

www.domain.com/siteOne
siteTwo.domain.com/
site.Three.domain.com/

However, if you are going to use the item on multiple domains, you will need to purchase a license for each domain (multiple installations). For example:

www.domain-siteOne.com/
www.domain-site.Two.com/
www.site-Three-domain.com/

NOTE: this license is between you and the author. Any information I provide here is general guidance only and is not legally binding - if you’re ever unsure about the license and how you would like to use the item you may want to consider getting legal advice.

This seems to be a CTRL+C CTRL+V reponse because I asked something very different and specific.

I guess they gave you a green light. But if you are still not sure contact the author of the theme that you will purchase I believe he will explain you in depth what you can do.

1 Like

They provided the following response:

I insert the Q’s here below as well:

Q1: What if we deploy a staging and development version that we use during development. These deployements are intended only for development and testing purposes. Do we have to buy a new license for each of these deployments?

A1: No. Kindly note you’re welcome to work on the site using a temporary development server before moving it onto a live/production server.

Q2: Q2: What if the End Product is composed of 20 Git projects and they all use the same Angular template, but the End Product is deployed for production into the same domain and all the 20 Git projects make up the single End Product. We have 20 Git projects in order to facilitate faster development. Do we have to buy 20 licenses?

A2: No, as long as there is only one End-Product. Please take a look at our as-is policy as you’re using Git.

Now, I’m going to ask the developer of the theme.

Thanks @SheevLanda!

1 Like

No problem. Hope you will find a good template. Good to you then.

1 Like

The author replied and agreed with the response of the Envato Support. Everyone is happy. @SheevLanda thanks, have a wonderful evening in case you are in the EU.

1 Like