Licensing for 1 music track on multiple videos within a brand

I still am not clear about the licensing details of using music in multiple videos with the same theme. I’ve checked the forum and I even PMed the music authors themselves. The music authors simply city the licensing details.

So here’s my question: I’m editing videos for a brand. What I do is cut a video to spec and add music to it. Some are 1 min long. Some are 30sec. Some are 15sec. Some are even 6-8 seconds. But they all use the same footage and the same brand. Some use different text, or no text, but w/ the same footage and same brand.

Let’s assume I edited 3-4 videos in the above format. Can I use the same music track for all videos? Assume that some will use 1min worth of music. Some will only use 10sec. But they all will use the same footage and same brand.

I am assuming that the scenario above can be considered a “series” according to AudioJungle’s licensing terms. What is your opinion?

Example: [using fake brand for privacy]
Let’s say I’m editing for the Energizer battery brand.

I edit one video of someone using energizer batteries for 1 min.
I edit one video of someone using energizer batteries for 6 seconds.
I edit one video of someone using energizer batteries for 30 seconds.

Can I use the same music track (w/ 1 license) for all 3 videos, since all three are similar and not substantially different in content from each other?

1 Like

Hello,

From your description, I think your videos would be considered variations of a same end-product. Here’s a quote from the license FAQ:

What are allowed variations of a single application?

In addition to a series, allowed variations of an end product that are still considered a single application include:

• Translations - the same end product simply translated into a different language (e.g. alternate text or alternate voiceover)
  • Cut-downs - a shortened version of an end product where no new content has been added (e.g. a 15 second “teaser” version of a film trailer)
  • Tag changes - minor revisions to text or content (e.g. changing “Coming Soon” to “Now Showing”)

Wouldn’t your other videos be “cut-downs”? A single license would be fine in this case.

Hope it helps!

1 Like

Thank you!