License to cover SAAS (Software as a service) applications

Hi,

As far as i am aware of, neither the Regular license nor the Extended one cover the usage of the SAAS applications.

The idea is that many applications can be used as SAAS but, as in my case, i cannot make my application available under extended license because i don’t want it to be modified and sold again by anyone else.

So in this case, if i don’t miss a point regarding the extended license, shouldn’t there be a new license type for SAAS apps?

If anyone has any insight about this would be wonderful.

Thanks.

It’s been discussed before. You’ll require an extended license.

argenisferrer said

Extended licenses are meant, when talking about themes and websites, to sites that have content/functionalities available only to paying customers (not to be confused with the offering of products and services). If a website offers products online, let’s say I wish to sell boxes, then a regular license is enough since visitors are paying for the boxes themselves, not to use the site and theme.

If the end product is accessible for free (if you can navigate the site and use all the functionality without paying just to use it), then a regular license is ok. So if you need users to create an account for your site, and you do not charge them for it, again, a regular license will suffice. In the other hand, if some content/functionalities are restricted to members who are charged in anyway to access them, then the end product (the site) is been sold/charged for, and as such an extended license is required.

Hope this helps :wink:

Typps said

It’s been discussed before. You’ll require an extended license.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i am aware that extended license may apply, i have read a few threads before submit my own, the thing that is still blurry to me is the right of the extended license owner to modify and sell the application once again without my permission.

So i guess the question comes down to: “Can a customer that bought an extended license sell my product without my permission?”

I am curious about this as well. If I purchase a script and then sell instance access (SaaS, bascially) an extended license covers this, yes? I wouldn’t be selling the product as a script…like here on CC, just access to the services the script provides hosted on my server, etc.

twisted1919 said

The idea is that many applications can be used as SAAS but, as in my case, i cannot make my application available under extended license because i don’t want it to be modified and sold again by anyone else.

So i guess the question comes down to: “Can a customer that bought an extended license sell my product without my permission?”

Edit: Oh ok ok, it seems your asking if the extended license permissions get inherited by the end user buying the product being sold to and if they in turn can modify and resell.

No, they cannot. It is the buyers responsibility to ensure this misuse does not happen.

Do I need to protect the items within my end product from being re-used?

Strikeplate said

I am curious about this as well. If I purchase a script and then sell instance access (SaaS, bascially) an extended license covers this, yes? I wouldn’t be selling the product as a script…like here on CC, just access to the services the script provides hosted on my server, etc.

It’s already answered in the staff response I quoted earlier, follow the link and read up on that thread, there’s more discussion. Your usecase requires the extended license.

http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/extended-licenses-required-for-paid-service-websites/103590?page=5#852480

There are good answers here, i also wrote support about this very issue and waiting a reply.

Will update this thread when i have one :slight_smile:

Ok, so the offical answer seems to be that when somebody buys an extended license he can include the app in another work and sell it further, so for people selling SAAS apps that’s a deal breaker, so just stick with regular license :slight_smile:

Does it mean - For SaaS apps where software is distributed to customers (in the form of SDK), we can still go with regular license?

What about plugins sold and labeled as SAAS, multitenancy, and those that offer a subscription feature? Will a regular license do? I dont plan to change the plugin or resell it in another theme or rebrand to resell. I just want to use it as intended and labeled?

No - typically SaaS use is not allowed as each purchase of a subscription would be a different project and require it’s own license