Item was rejected. Digging direction

Please help me to understand why my item was rejected. Thank you

============= Letter =============
Thank you for your submission. We have completed our review of “404 Lines” and unfortunately we found it isn’t at the quality standard required to move forward, and you won’t be able to re-submit this item again.

We appreciate the effort and time you’ve put into creating your item. And we’d be happy to help make sure your next entry will meet our submission requirements. Here’s our advice:

Visit our forums and ask fellow authors for feedback. Our helpful community will be glad to lend a hand.

Check out this Help Centre article to understand why and how items get rejected.

Remember you can get help, in the form of tutorials or skilled professionals, on Envato Tuts+ and Envato Studio.

We hope to see a new submission from you soon!

All the best!

Envato Quality team

Still have questions? Contact our Help Centre.

What is really disappointing me I do not understand how things like this is getting approved? I don’t understand how is my page is worse than this one?

Well, first, don’t waste your time pointing to a low quality items and wondering why they got approved. Current quality requirements are extremely low (at least for ThemeForest, I can’t speak for graphicriver etc.) and reviews are inconsistent. It is how it is and you can’t do anything about it so just don’t waste your energy on that. If you want to compare your item to something already on the market, try to pick the best of the best and try to get close to their quality levels. Also ask yourself the most important question: why would anybody buy your item (if it got approved) if there are gazillion of 404 pages already. I’ve said it countless of times on this forums, but getting your item on the market is the easy step. The hard step is to make actual sales. And that’s now even harder than ever because the market is extremely oversaturated.

Now, that’s it with the philosophy lesson and here is some actual criticism:

The align of “cant find this page” is completely off. Why it is aligned to the right??? With all due respect, but this thing alone tells me that your skills are very lacking.

Padding of search input and align of its magnifier icon. Again, way off. If you don’t see that bottom padding is bigger that the top or you don’t have a problem with that, then I am sorry but you have much to learn.

The rest of it is mediocre at best. Just bunch of images, titles and text with poor typography.

The only interesting thing are those background lines shaping the 404 title. But that’s really not enough. Especially when you have such very basic issues mentioned above.

You may think that all those are just minor things, but such minor things make a difference between a professional design and an amateurish one. Especially in the PSD when you have every single pixel 100% under your control. You need to be pixel perfect, you need to be very critical to your work and you need to come with something if not original, then at least very, very polished. It is not a rocked science, you just need to put enough time into that and you will get there. Check out the dribbble.com (and countless of other sources) for some inspiration. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel with the basics (typography, white space, etc.), there are many, many articles on the web about that stuff. Then just add a bit of your own flavour and make it unique. But it is important to be aware of the fact that it will take time until you will be any good. Good luck.

2 Likes

This is more explanation than what I was hoping for, thank you very much for such a detailed response! Envato support need to learn from you.

Not really, if they made such lengthy reply to each for each hard reject, reviews would take years. My whole point was that you shouldn’t blame reviewers. The review process is far from perfect, but in the end it is only up to you. If you can deliver a great item, you will surely be approved. The first step to success is to stop blaming everyone else around you and start focusing solely on what you can improve yourself, your skills, your attitude, your thinking. That’s the only thing you got fully under your control.

My final advice is to work hard on your skills, practice every day, get some inspiration and try to be realistic about your goals. It can easily take months before you will see any notable improvements and years until you become a pretty decent designer. Meanwhile, try to work on your own projects or do some clients work. Just don’t waste your time submitting to Envato until you will gain some solid experience. Most of the successful authors here had years and years of experience before they even started with Envato and it still took them some time until they were able to push some items into the marketplace and start making sales.

1 Like

I do not mind to dig, I just need to know in what direction. Most of the time you simply do not understand what is the problem. Two or three words like: aligning, marketing value, typographic. It will be more than good to continue digging. This one was rejected because they just do not need more of this kind of items - ans still it is just a opinion of moderator.

No need for description, spatially for people who want fast maney, I totally with you on this. But a little simple tip, will change a lot!

I do understand your point of view. But you must understand that reviewer is not here to teach you how to do the design. When you are going to a job interview and you end up not getting the job, does the company tell you why exactly you didn’t get it? I don’t think so. Your skills are just not ready, and they did told you that with “unfortunately we found it isn’t at the quality standard required to move forward”. You are either smart enough and will eventually figure everything out, or move on onto something else.
It was discussed bazillion of times already, but if they would start giving even the quick feedback like “bad align, typography” etc. for each submission, it would significantly impact the review times. Arguing about it is absolutely pointless and waste of time. Now you just don’t see how weak your design is, but give it few months or years and you will realise how naive you were when you though about submitting this one.

Hi. I did a lot of research, and still quality rejection. Have you time to give me a quick tip? TNX!

Blue

This looks much better, but it is impossible to tell the rejection reason based on this single image. Is it supposed to be a PSD or HTML template? This is just one section, what about the rest of the design? You should really put little bit more effort in explaining the context when you are asking for feedback. You want other people to spend their time helping you, but you are not sacrificing your own time giving all the info required for a proper feedback.

“This looks much better” - I am so happy to see it! tnx

This is the item I tried to upload http://www.envato-developing.xyz/hostingprices.zip

Example item

To be honest, it looks like a cheap copy of the item you’ve shared. It is not horrible, but it doesn’t look premium. However, it looks much better compared to to your previous submission (even though it is not really possible to compare a price table to a 404 page). So you are improving, but there is still a long road before you.

But to give you some real feedback:

• very average looking icons (at best)
  • weak typography
  • boring colors

Improving design skills it is ok. I also was worried may be there any technical issue that I am simply do not know? Like using some thing in Photoshop that is not allowed or do not adding important information to readme. Just an Envato rule I do not know about.

If it was just because of some Envato rule then you would be just soft-rejected. This is really not the case. You really just need to spend MUCH more time honing your skills. I mean like several hours per day for several months or years to really step up your game.

Ok. Tnx! You helping weary mach.