Item Support Policy and Functionality Launched

Sorry to chim in here, but it only seems a big day for Envato…looks more like a cash cow for them from a buyers point after seeing Envarto milking the extra 6 months support fee!

Shouldn’t this fee go to the author?

1 Like

@kayapati they just divided the “default” purchases in two, mentioning both support & item price all together. So think that as a default purchase, customer didn’T paid for the support yet in your case.

Hi revaxarts,

We want to reflect what is being bought so that buyers understand that they are buying both a license and a service. Amongst other things, this will also allow authors to more accurately define and describe their earnings for accounting purposes.

This article should help explain how earnings of supported items and support extensions are calculated.

In the item support policy we have said this “Response times by authors can vary depending on the volume of inquiries, the nature of the request, and whether questions have already been answered or support has already been provided (see ‘fair-use’ later on).”

We expect most buyers to be reasonable and accept this but in the instance that the buyer is being unreasonable or the author cannot be reached, and is not active on comments, etc. then the Envato Help Team will assess the report on a case by case basis.

Cheers!

As far as i understand current system, they lowered item price for xx% and add the same amount as a support price for the first 6 months. If this is correct, this is a pure disrespect - support is included against our will and original item price is lowered, before that we got $1 price increase. I understand nothing.

author cannot be reached, and is not active on comments

I give support through my platform: how Envato will manage disputes in this case?
I mean (and this is a pessimistic case):

1. buyer complains about answer time
  2. I’ve got answers on my site
  3. Envato can’t see my site and can’t know if what buyer tells is true or not

Just noticed that. This sucks and complicates the profit spli with partners :confused:

1 Like

Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback so far. I’m going to log off for the day but will be back bright and early tomorrow morning (Melbourne time) and will answer any questions then.

Our on-call developers will be monitoring the site over night and our Community team will be monitoring the forums so please report any issues.

Cheers.

thats my intelligence as a buyer insulted for the last time
to even consider adding to the posts it is done in anyway for a buyers benefit is ludicrous
to any of you developers out there selling solely on the envato market i hope you reconsider
this place has scammed me for one far too many times to be swallowing yet another by the company itself
look forward to seeing any of you great developers someplace other then here
whatever the prices you may be asking

Are you kidding me?
I bought a lot of themes here, all stated with “support included”, no time-limit for that.
And now you want me to pay for a support-extension? Are you serious?
It means: in 6 month from now on every single product i bought here will no longer meet the once advertised features.
I will then claim a refund and i will need to correct my former ratings for the products.

Good thing is, that there are other marketplaces selling wordpress themes. Some of them with clear advantages compared to TF, like 100 % GPL, clean + lean code, unbloated. Most of them provide ongoing after-sales support free of charge. And a lot are allowing install on multiple domains.
So other marketplaces are offering much more valuable stuff. I know that a lot of authors here think that Envatos prices for themes are too low. After taking a closer look on alternatives i have no clue why they think so…

Think that i will start spending more time (and money) on other marketplaces.

2 Likes

Sorry but this 6 months is included, why not just add (6 months support included) instead of making a mess?

1 Like

what few products on envato markets DO meet advertised functions?
or even work in many cases?
that might have been a smarter place to begin making the buyers feel more comfortable
that and the authors ability to remove any discussion posts giving any truthful information to potential buyers from those who have already purchased.
really inspires confidence in how big a scam each purchase might be

** clear this up there ARE damn good developers here
but to find them you face beeing scammed 1000 times over

This policy is only for themes purchased from today (1st Sep) onwards. New purchases, not old purchases. Your old purchases are handled as they were before (i.e. it’s up to the author as to if they will provide support to you or not, same as it was before).

Clarification here: http://videohive.net/forums/thread/get-ready-for-the-new-item-support-policy-launching-september-1st/187065?page=13&message_id=1313346#1313346

wrong read up the thread higher
they specifically state that certain members are permitted 6 months support as of sept 1
after which your required to pay

Do you have a link for that particular post? You can use the little link icon to get a link directly to that post: image

best i could find presently was a quote im afraid
here

there was however more in the thread someplace it was quoted from just unable to find

Yep found it here. I got confused reading another post from a non-staff member:

Yep, it’s true. 6 months from now all your past buyers will remain without support.

Hi,

After this support pack is released, the total sales value of an item on your portfolio page does not include the price of the support pack. This is confusing, as we can now not see how much an item has made, previously the total sales value of a $44 item is increased by $30.8 on each sale but now it’s only increased by $19.25 and the total value of the support pack is not listed anywhere. How do we know how much an item has made, and how can I calculate the money for partnership splits?

1 Like

This change with the total sales amount of the item is inconsistent and will provide invalid data because the total sales value of an item right now is calculated starting with the total amount before support packs is introduced. What a mess!

1 Like

So now the REVIEW and RATINGS comes in picture. Now if we will not provide any support to buyer who has expired 6 months included support, they might go ahead and rate our items to lowest. Highest possibility. You must should stop the rating features for those who has no active support else due to support only, we are going to get tons of negative ratings.

3 Likes