Is this the end of ContentID revenue?

I imagine a few of you are familiar with EU’s Article 13 being proposed. I just saw this video, and couldn’t help but wonder if videos which have been detected to have our music might get taken down. This means, A: customers may get their videos blocked even before providing a license that they bought, or also B: any videos with our music detected will be blocked without us having a say in monetising those videos.

Could this be the end of AdRev?

From what they’re saying, it’s the end of Audiojungle. And the end of Youtube. The law is still in the making, so we can’t know how it will affect us.

In what way would this be the end of AudioJungle? Can AudioJungle not implement upload filters? This would only apply to Europe, correct?

I mean in a sense that buyers would be blocked for uploading videos with music in it. If that actually happens, Audiojungle and similar platforms will become useless overnight.

Yes, this would only apply to Europe, but in a globalized world, it will affect everyone.

Ridiculous. Shouldn’t we, the copyright holders, have a say in this? What if I want to keep these videos online? It’s MY intellectual property.

Indeed. Europe is a HUGE part of the AJ clientele.

We sure should.

This video is merely Youtube lobbying to make this law have as little impact for them as possible. They describe the worst scenario so that we get scared and petition against it.

But the law is still in the making, so we don’t know if that would indeed be the case. At its core this law is aiming at protecting us authors. Maybe some good will come off it. Like Youtube having to integrate a license field in the upload page.

3 Likes

If that’s the case, great, but, what if we want to monetise all those videos that are using our music illegally?

There are some authors around here that rely more on AdRev revenue than they do on their AJ income.

1 Like

That’s what Youtube say, they are the people that don’t want it!
It’s about protecting copyright and distributing wealth fairly.

It’s worth a read. Sounds like Scaremongering to me :wink:

But where that will leave Adrev i’m not sure ?

7 Likes

As far as I know this article will be very beneficial for all of us. And I don’t believe it will kill youtube, stocks or internet :slight_smile:

They say there is some misinformation made by US IT giants, who will have to pay more money and gather more info.

I will watch video in a spare time.

2 Likes

I’ve just watched it. What a surprise it has been made by Youtube :wink:

All those “total-internet-ban” repetitive sentences are scary but don’t be afraid

• video creators will have to show licenses (in terms of music - that’s nothing new, they have to do this already)
  • illegal use of assets will be blocked (still nothing new, authors still can’t use them illegaly, because those videos can be blocked by DMCA claim, if author finds them)
  • the biggest change will be in a bigger automation of license verification (which we all wish to happen). In the manner of speaking it will automatically disallow video creators from using our music in the illegal way. Authors will easily find illegal use.
  • all other uses like educational, quotation, pastiche, parody, review, gameplay, etc. will be probably allowed, as they are now. The only difference is that they will need to be obligatory verified = sometimes temporarily blocked by mistake. In fact they are sometimes blocked even now.
  • stock market will be the same, in fact revenue should be higher (!)
  • I’m not surprised that IT companies hate this article. They will have to create more efficient system which will check licenses. Looks like a lot of work. Keep in mind that they will have to do this sooner or later, that’s kind of must-have automatic system which will check licenses.
  • do you remember Volkswagen affair in US? European company problems started in US, not in Europe. Now US IT companies have problems in Europe, not in US.

In terms of AdRev - yes, CID system is a kind of handicapped and buggy system which works almost only for US views (maybe except blocking videos which is worldwide I suppose and except the shitty and absurd Youtube-PRO reporting), for tracks which are longer than 30 seconds (with recent changes in the “track snippet” technology by AdRev and probably by other partners), which aren’t percussion tracks, remixes or a library-loop tracks. So yes, we can imagine that it could be exchanged by much more efficient system. And we can expect that we will get higher revenue from licenses instead of a tiny revenue from illegal use only in US. For me it sounds like something great, especially that it will probably be combined with PRO reporting, which will significantly increase PRO royalties.

I’m not a lawyer, treat this as mine opinion based on what I’ve read before. I live in Poland. In my country most of popular artists support those changes. Our PROs support it either. I suppose other PROs support it also. I would be happy to hear others opinion.

3 Likes

Of course it does not match.

Here is a key takeaway in this article

“Furthermore, 35 percent of music streamers say a main reason for not using a paid audio subscription service is because everything they want to listen to is on YouTube.”

Soon it may be this scenario for AJ

Furthermore, 35 percent of Elements Buyers say a main reason for not using audio jungle service is because everything they want to download is on elements.

LOL!

2 Likes

This is not very nice, let’s see how things go further.

My PRO have been very active in working for the Article 13 change, they posted this video today. Clearly they have interest in collecting more money for themselves and composers. I think it´s safe to say that these changes can benefit our income as music producers. Looks like the final decision if the article will be approved or not, is in March/April, so exciting times ahead!

Short explanation of the drama:

This video is longer but explains the topic in depth, very interesting.

2 Likes

Europe for creators set up this website…Good info here;

Also info from the PRS website;

1 Like