Is there a formal term for a quickly varying rhythm?

What I’m referring to is when a rhythm for a single instrument changes from one rhythm, then to another, then to another throughout the course of a song for a few measures each or so. But, somehow no one knows how to describe that. The closest thing I’ve come up with is “polyrhythmic” which isn’t accurate as that refers to multiple instruments or lines at once.