Is offering a bonus app allowed?

Hello all. I just uploaded a new PHP system on CodeCanyon. This system is fully functional as is.

I created an Android app, and I was thinking about uploading it to the Play Store and offering it in the product page as a “bonus”. It’s important to mention that:

• This app will “interact” with my system. It is not required.
  • User will be able to download it for free.
  • In the item page, I would make it clear that they are not paying for the app (it’s just a free addon available online), so they’re paying 100% for the item being sold on CodeCanyon.

My question is – Is linking to the Play Store from the item page allowed?
If not, can I just mention that there’s a free app (without linking), but place the actual link in the documentation?
If that’s also not allowed… Can I include the APK (compiled) in my main file?

Thank you.

Hey there. This is not considered a bonus. It’s common practice to showcase your application. A bonus would be “Buy my product and I’ll give you another completely different app for free!” - That is a bonus, and that is not allowed.

What you’re basically saying is giving an extra demo for your customers, which is totally allowed, and a good way to boost your sales, since they can see your end product working.

Yes. As long as you don’t sell it, it’s not an integral part of your end product, and as long as it’s just an extra demo for customers to see the full working end product.

Yes! It’s great to have a “fast” demo available for your customers to see the end working product as a source file.

Hey! Thank you very much for your reply.

Perhaps I did not explain myself correctly. The app is not a demo. It is an “addon” that will interact with the user’s own installation of my system (which is a PHP system), and will add functionality that couldn’t be added to a webpage.

Let me explain in detail:
What I submitted to CodeCanyon is an inventory system. From this system that customers will pay for, they’re able to manage absolutely everything.
Then, the Android app that I will be uploading to the Play Store, will allow customers to “link” it with their own installation of my item, and lookup items in their warehouses by scanning barcodes with their phone’s camera.

Conditions are the same:

• Customer is not forced to download the app
  • App is totally free, but downloadable through the Play Store so I can manage updates easier
  • Item description on CC will fully disclose this: that the app is free, independent from this item, and that their payment is just for the item on CC.

With this being said, is linking to the Play Store from the item page still allowed?

Thank you very much.

I’m not sure that is allowed, as this theoretically means that the end user that purchases your item doesn’t have the source code of your app on the PlayStore or that add-on can be considered as an invaluable feature for others.

To put things in a different perspective. Everything you sell here, the source must be included in the final zip the customers get and not rely on other services.

If the source of the addon is included, I do believe it is okay. HOWEVER, please, to get a 100% confirmation, mail the link of this thread and your question to Envato Authors Help and Support who can better asses the situation and give you a definitive reply based on Envato’s current Item Upload Policy.

It’s the best way to stay safe and with your items. These can be tricky, so it’s best to get an expert opinion on these.

Cheers mate! :fist_right:t2::fist_left:t2:

Will do. Thank you for your time, have a great day.

1 Like

You too mate! Cheers and all the best! :fist_right:t2::fist_left:t2: