Is it still possible to make a living selling templates ?

Hi everyone!
I was just wondering, do any of you make a living selling website templates ? Is it still worth it ?

I’ve heard that sales have drastically dropped in the recent years. I mainly design for Wordpress, but I want to know if their is a chance to get a decent income.

I have been thinking about it for a while, but I see so many people complaining about their revenue loss, it kinda worries me.

I am not afraid of hard work, and even learning to design for Shopify or Ghost… but working weeks on something to get 10 sales or so doesn’t make any sense at all.

Thanks for your replies.

Nobody can answer this question for you. What I can tell you for sure is that there are a lot of people making a ton of money here.

Whether you will be among these individual elites is what you need to work very hard on and for the most part depends on you and not a factor you can predict. From experience I can tell you that there is no such thing as a free lunch and it is much truer today than ever before. Good luck.

1 Like

That’s an obvious Yes I suppose :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are many people who are making living selling items here (mainly WP themes), but the sales drastically dropped in the recent years indeed. At the same time, the quality requirements went up. So making a living here became much harder and it is very unlikely it will get any better. Market is oversaturated.
If you are starting from the scratch (no experience with selling premium WP themes, or creating free themes for WP.org repository) and you are solo (you plan to design and code everything yourself), then it is very hard to recommend this path. Of course, it hugely depends where do you live as $1 can have a very different value in various parts of the world. To get some realistic idea, just take a look at recently approved WP themes (let’s say within last month or two) and see for yourself how sales are nowadays for new items. You will be getting around 50% from the purchase price as a new author, so you can do the math how much you will need to sell to sustain yourself and the probability of achieving it based on the average number of sales for new items.

1 Like

What?!! I only get 50% of the final price ? Before tax…
I am going to have a look at the latest themes and see how they sell. But I am a bit skeptical right now

Thanks a lot for your answer anyways