Introducing the DaVinci Resolve Category!

Any idea how long the review process should take for newly submitted templates? :smiley:

Hi Mark,

I cannot really say that I have any data on hand regarding customers requesting blender templates, but a couple of thoughts from me regarding the comparison to the C4D category.

• C4D was a very expensive software that much fewer people had than After Effects. Blender is free and in the recent years it gained a lot of industry recognition as well as growth in userbase
  • C4D did not innovate really in the recent years, that is why it became less popular and the recent move to subscription will make it even less popular. Blender has generational leaps that are astounding.
  • C4D templates shall use the internal renders, which are not up-to-date. The physical render takes ages to render and template creators are instructed to hold rendertimes short. Blenders eevee render and the cycles render engine both are a better fit for template market in terms of speed and visual quality
  • C4D has no internal compositing options, another reason why templates cannot look as appealing as they should. You do offer the option to include an After Effects compositing file, but that is just another paid software the customer needs to have. Blender has its own powerful node compositing that lets template authors create one-button solutions.

I cannot tell you anything about how many sales a blender category will attract. But I think in the history of envato it were always the authors and their items that decided if a category gains traction.
As long as there are no blender files for sale, customers will not purchase them. Chicken egg problem.

Is it such a big effort to introduce a new category?

3 Likes

I would like to see Blender on videohive and elements too. It is free and professional 3d software.

Review should start sometime early next week. Once we get going, we don’t anticipate any differences in wait time than what we see in other Video Template categories. The items should be reviewed in-line with other Template submissions from other categories.

1 Like

A lot of great points! The thing is, there’s really two main metrics we look for anytime we’re considering a new category.

1. Do we have people within the author community that can create content for the new category, and are also interested in selling that content across Envato?
  2. Is there a current and growing base of customers seeking this kind of content?

Adding a new category isn’t extremely difficult from a technical perspective. But there’s a lot of moving pieces across many teams. So we can only commit resources to new categories when we’re sure there’s a current and growing demand from both Authors and Customers.

While Blender has been requested by a handful of authors over the last few years, those requests have been few and far between. And we really haven’t seen much interest at all from the customer community. I’m going to continue monitoring Blender’s potential and if we notice an uptick in the demand from both Authors and Customers, I’d be glad to try to get it across the line.

3 Likes

Lovely :heart_eyes:

Hello!

I am very glad that the category of templates and macros for Davinci Resolve has appeared on Videohive, because I already sell content for DR on another marketplace platform and waited for it to appear, including Videohive platform.

However, are you aware of all the features of working with Davinci Resolve? This software is completely unlike the software from Adobe. Davinci Resolve is a very powerful software, but since it was not originally designed to create editable templates, it still has some details that are important to understand to check such templates to avoid errors.

Here is an example of one of the common mistakes of Davinci Resolve:
If you use media files from a media pool when creating a template in the Fusion tab, they will be assigned a unique “MediaID” and there are no problems with that when creating a template, but if you download and add this project to your project, you will get a “Media Offline” error because the assigned “MediaID” is confused inside the template when you import it into another project.

You can get around this problem by not adding media files from the “Media Poll” tab to Fusion, but instead placing them together with editable playlists in the “Edit” tab on the timeline and then compressing these files into “Fusion Clip”, and after these actions enter the Fusion tab and collect the project, because in this case media files are not assigned a unique “Media ID” and, accordingly, there is no “Media Offline” error when importing the project.

However, there is also a problem here! If you try to create a template bypassing this error and there are colored elements in your template for which you want to create “Color Control” via the “Edit” tab, you will not be able to do it in any way. But there is the following way out: create a template using the first method (in case you must have controllers for clients in your project), but show in the video tutorial attached to the project that when using a template, your project must be imported into the purchased template, but not vice versa! In this case, the “Media Offline” error will not occur.

For example! I have two transition templates for Davinci Resolve that are made using different methods! The first project (https://youtu.be/zagvX4kDLuI) is made using the second method, because it doesn’t have any color controllers for clients, and this project can be imported by the client into his project and it won’t cause any errors. But the second project (https://youtu.be/LpkPzdThrNs) provides that the client must have access to a simple change of color in the project, so it was forced to be created by the first method and in it is created “Color Control” through the tab “Edit”, which allows the client to easily change the main color in the project. However, if a client imports this project into a previously created project, an error “Media Offline” will occur, so in the video tutorial to this project, I show that it is necessary to import your project into the transition template, but not vice versa!

Oh… I got a huge message. However, I just wanted to say that it is possible to use Davinci Resolve, but so far, it has quite a lot of errors and limitations when creating and working with templates. This is very important to consider!

6 Likes

Thanks a lot for tips.

1 Like

I agree with you that blender has an overwhelming advantage over C4d, the final cost of the project for C4d will be very expensive. I’m not familiar with blender very closely, because I work and prepare files in C4d. But it seems to me that the 3D element replaces most of the templates for the blender. Of course, if my projects are made in a blender, they will be much better than in element3d, the only question is whether users will be able to get used to it. Because there are problems even with element3d and after effects

good news

1 Like

Hi,
My davinci resolve template got rejected because it contains pre-render file.
Have you got this too?

1 Like

Hello!

My Davinci Resolve templates were rejected with a standard message.

Apparently, Envato reviewers want to see comparative quality with Adobe After Effects templates in this category. However, so far, Davinci Resolve does not allow “out of the box” to achieve this quality, especially if not using pre-render.

In general, personally, I think that it is very wrong to give a re-reject because of the presence of pre-render in the project, because, especially in Davinci Resolve, it is often just necessary, because the standard means of this software can not achieve all the effects that are in the same Adobe After Effects.

It would be great if the project reviewer for the “Davinci Resolve” category was someone who has a good understanding of this software.

Really surprised :face_with_monocle: As for me, Davinci program is even more primitive than Premiere Pro (in terms of design, not video editing). So why is it forbidden to include pre-renders into a project? Are you sure that this is what caused the reject? What was the text in the rejection letter?

1 Like

The reviewer said:
“Projects that are based on pre-rendered animations don’t qualify. Since these files aren’t created inside of Resolve, and are simply imported into the program for text application, this isn’t a project that we consider specific to this particular software.“

I was surprised because even with advance knowledge of Davinci Resolve Fusion we cannot create templates which can be compared with After Effect template.
There are a lot of limitations and it is hard to create elements in Davinci Resolve which is very basic and simple in After effect.

2 Likes

Yes I also got the same rejection reason for one of my logo templates, which, by the way don’t even use any texts as described in the reasoning :smiley:

are simply imported into the program for text application

I find this rejection reasoning baffling and surprising… Using pre-renders from AE projects makes life much more easier for customers computers trying to preview and render these projects and also for us the authors, as some effects just can’t be recreated at all, while others can’t be done up to the same complexity or quality which you can achieve in After Effects, with only a few remaining which can be re-created to look nearly identical.

Plus why should I work x2 more, while struggling to recreate the same background objects animations from scratch in a different program with a terrible workflow (remember it’s video editor first, not After Effects replacer), when the result will most definitely won’t look better than AE, when I can just use great quality pre-renders form After Effects and avoid all this nonsense?

As long as customers can change the placeholders, colors or position of the most essential elements, what’s the problem?

Use fusion studio rather than the fusion tab in resolve to build proper elements, effects, models and so on. Fusion studio is a standalone full version of fusion.

FYI: resolve studio 17 activation key also gives you full access to fusion studio 17.

Many AE projects have prerenders. I wonder if this rejection reason is a good way to start this category. @MotionRevolver you may want to reconsider this. Porting succesful AE templates to Resolve can be a huge gain for both authors as well as the marketplace.

If Prerenders are not allowed in Resolve templates, I may not participate in this category as much as I planned to.

1 Like

@Creattive @Atamotion

There’s a difference between a project containing pre-rendered graphics, and a project being flattened to function with Resolve’s more limited environment. If the graphics contained in a Resolve template are uneditable beyond basic color alteration, and Resolve is not used to somehow affect the customizable elements within the project (such as logos, text, etc.), then the project is not specific to Resolve and could have been created with any basic video editing software.

Simpler put – animation features within Resolve must be utilized to make it a Resolve-specific project, not just a pre-rendered animation with a simple fade up or other basic video editing execution.

This rule isn’t specific to Resolve. We have this rule in place for all Template categories.

If an existing project is too complex to be recreated in Resolve (for example, something created with Ae), then it’s best to not port it over to the Resolve category, and build something new instead.

Ultimately, we’d like to see authors building fresh new content for the Resolve category, not duplicating existing works just to build out one’s portfolio with iterative work.

I do have AE templates that are mainly created in 3D Software and rely mainly on prerenders. They were not rejected.

I dare to say, many AE projects, high selling as well, which are based on 3D prerenders are uneditable beyond basic color alteration as well.

This reasoning is totally new to me, and I never came across this in my 8 years of being a succesful author here. Our customers care for the end result, and my experience shows that most of them do not alter the templates beyond swapping out logos, texts, and changing colors (most not even change the colors).

2 Likes