Introducing Runway, a new open source framework for WordPress

Quick report on error on the landing page and this page: http://runwaywp.com/explore

themeton said

Hope beginners or designers step ahead quickly with it.

Really nice to see it. Keep up your good work

We feel the same. Runway makes it a little easier to transition into WordPress and bridges the gap for designers without a lot of development knowledge.

||+918373|Dream-Theme said-|| Quick report on error on the landing page and this page: http://runwaywp.com/explore

We’ve been tweaking the login system and that might be what you were seeing. Let us know if you still get errors on the site and we’ll get that fixed.

Hi, i’m very new to all this but and after spending the last day or two looking at various frameworks i stumbled up on this so thought i’d try it out.

I’ve installed on 2 different servers with 2 different hosts (VPS.net & Media Temple) and i just get error after error. Can’t install extensions on one and the other didn’t even install the Lift Off child theme.

One had 6 failed tests, the other 4.

I guess this isn’t really aimed at beginners like myself but it’s put me off completely i’m afraid.

@tommytank

I’m sorry you had trouble. We’ve built the Runway framework with the intention of anyone being able to use it. Right now it is best suited for someone wanting to make a custom theme, but using the default child theme it can also work as “site builder” framework. That’s where the child theme’s become useful. We currently only have the one child theme but there will be more starter themes added to the repository.

When you see those “failed tests” it is alerting you that certain folders or settings aren’t configured. By clicking the link in that message you will be taken to the “Reports” screen with a button at the top labeled, “Fix all issues” which should resolve everything with a single click.

In the update we’re preparing right now, those issues are automatically resolved before the notice is shown. This way you wouldn’t even need to access that page.

If you need any help or have support questions we’re here to provide any assistance we can. There is a dedicated support forum on the main framework site: http://runwaywp.com/support/

We’re always looking for ways to improve Runway to make it even better. It’s this kind of feedback from users like yourself that helps us find ways to streamline setup and make Runway easier to use. We hope you’ll let us know more about the things you saw and any suggestions you have so we can continue to improve Runway.

Christmas is coming earlier this year for me!!!

This is a really great gift, I don’t have enough words to thank you, I started playing with Runway yesterday and I’m loving it!

Thank you so much Parallelus, you really opened a big door for me and many others :slight_smile:

@abstract-labs

That is really great to hear. We’re keeping busy adding even more awesome features. We’ve just finished an update to select individual Extensions to install as plugins. This way, no matter how you structure your code, it stays 100% compliant with the ThemeForest phase 2 requirements.

We’re really interested in knowing your feedback, features you would like and anything else you can think of to make Runway even better. We may be spending some time working directly with designers and developers to help them build themes and get started releasing products.

If you have suggestions we want to know about them. We’re eager to add new functionality to make Runway even more useful. Visit our support forum and tell us what you need to make Runway your perfect theme development environment.

http://runwaywp.com/support/

We’re also finishing a new Runway theme right now to be released on ThemeForest later this month. We have a promotion going specific to our new theme, you can get it free before the release, so be sure to subscribe to our Twitter feed (https://twitter.com/runwaywp) and we’ll post details there very soon.

For someone who is possibly looking into starting WordPress development this looks like it could come in quite handy.

Really looking forward to using this in the future.

Have you guys thought about taking donations? I’m sure authors who use it, and appreciate it wouldn’t mind donating to keep development possible :).

Parallelus said

We’re really interested in knowing your feedback, features you would like and anything else you can think of to make Runway even better. We may be spending some time working directly with designers and developers to help them build themes and get started releasing products.

For sure! I’m already on the forum and following on Twitter.

I’d like to book one of those “collaborations” between you and designers/developers :smiley:

@Singularity_Designs

Thanks! Let us know your thoughts and any questions you have. We’re here to help.

@themelux

Thanks for the support. We are planning some premium add-ons and services that are designed to support the project. We recognize how important it is that an open source project has a way to support the development and ensure it sustains. Nobody wants to invest time and money in a project that won’t be around long. We’ve planned for the long term and Runway here to stay. :slight_smile:

@abstract-labs

||+929745|abstract-labs said-|| For sure! I'm already on the forum and following on Twitter.

I’d like to book one of those “collaborations” between you and designers/developers :smiley:

That’s great. Keep in contact with us and we’ll get your first Runway project kicked off together!

Ouch!! Just purchased Ultimatum a week ago but will give this framework a try and give feedback.

I just purchased ULTIMATUM yesterday :frowning:

I went to the site for runway, as someone who is just getting into wordpress I am definitely curious about runway. One of the biggest reasons I went with Ultimatum is because when I searched for videos I found a lot teaching it, and explaining h ow it works. I really hope to see something like this for Runway, as others have said I am really a visual learner.

I have spent the last two weeks with Runway and am nearly ready to launch my own theme based on the Runway framework.I also purchased Ultimatum just over two weeks ago and will probably look at it in time to come. I just found that with Runway I progressed quickly :slight_smile:

squarepixelllc said

One of the biggest reasons I went with Ultimatum is because when I searched for videos I found a lot teaching it, and explaining how it works. I really hope to see something like this for Runway, as others have said I am really a visual learner.

We’re with you on this. I know the success of an open source project can hinge on the availability of learning materials and today that means videos. I’m in the process of getting some new equipment and software to produce these. After establishing a system we can probably have someone from the team take over this to keep them coming out regularly. I think a large video tutorials section will be a cornerstone of the future Runway Guides website.

pete9999 said

I have spent the last two weeks with Runway and am nearly ready to launch my own theme based on the Runway framework.I also purchased Ultimatum just over two weeks ago and will probably look at it in time to come. I just found that with Runway I progressed quickly :slight_smile:

That’s awesome! We’re also very close to completing another Runway theme that we will be released soon. We’re doing a small promotion so our Twitter followers can get the theme free before it’s official release. Follow RunwayWP and we’ll announce the details as soon as it’s ready.

Started as a graphic designer, currently I’m using Artisteer + Templateer to create WP themes (obviously for individual clients). Even then I’m continuously experimenting with the code to get the look I want. But now I want to take the next step. I was searching for a framework and this is where I’ve stopped right now.

Really interested on this framework. I’m following you on twitter as well.

I went to try it out, got an error.

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.

Theme install failed.

squarepixelllc said

I went to try it out, got an error.

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.

Theme install failed.

The download files are from a Github repository. Github packages downloads inside another folder so you have to extract it to find the theme install folder inside.

I installed and created a sample theme. My problem is when I test the theme with Theme-Check plugin it displays a lot of warnings and other recommendations (happens with LiftOff theme as well). Is this normal or I did something wrong?

PictOMedia said

I installed and created a sample theme. My problem is when I test the theme with Theme-Check plugin it displays a lot of warnings and other recommendations (happens with LiftOff theme as well). Is this normal or I did something wrong?

The LiftOff example theme was built pretty quick and is constantly being updated to demonstrate new functionality. I don’t remember the last time we ran theme check on it so there are probably some things we can fix.

I’ve never created a theme that had zero things show up in theme check. That’s just the nature of that plugin and it’s tendency for false positives as well as those “suggested” changes that are not contextually aware. If you can post the issue you had on our support forum we’ll take a look and make sure everything is OK.

http://runwaywp.com/support/

Post the issue that came up to a new thread (link above) and we can help get those fixed. We might also be able to provide some translation of what the issue mean depending on the severity level. I'd be interested in getting LiftOff updated since it's been a while since we tested it this way.

Hi there…just wanted to let you know that there is an issue with your newsletter subscription form on http://runwaywp.com …it returns this error: Deprecated: Function eregi() is deprecated in /home/runway/public_html/apps/emailer/process.php on line 19
success

It still sends out an email for confirming the email address but when the confirmation link is clicked it returns this error message: Oops! The address ****@********.com was not found.

Cheers,
Stelios