Introducing Active Content

I wonder what will happen to seasonal items. If active content will recognize only sales within 90 days, then many high quality Christmas items will turn inactive during spring and summer.

Or maybe seasonal items will have a special treatment. Then authors will start to add the keyword christmas to all items to stay in active content :smiley:

Maybe a decay time of one year would be a nice point to start and later adjustments can narrow the active content if itā€™s necessary.

I have lately sold a few items with no sale for years. One year to say item is ā€˜deadā€™ is simply very bad idea. As written before - there are very, very few companies that delete items once approved. Never. At this time. In the future ā€¦?

Oh - just a word: author driven prices works splendid for me! Great invention, Envato! :slight_smile: Statements now, after my little price corrections, looks sooooo much better.

Just sold mentioned item second time in 2 days! It is 4K. Item has date May 2016. So, if you would delete items with no sales after 1 year ā€¦

Well I have little of such items, but any way; simply clear everything that has no sale in 1 year ā€¦ nonsense! Absurd.

Can you not figure anything better to improve sales?

Umm???
Another sale of 4K, visually similar (spring in the forest) just went down. A few minutes after I wrote last words here. Again this item date is May 2016.

So much about ā€˜active contentā€™ ā€¦

1 Like

Another consideration - if Envato begins removing low-performing items, whatā€™s to stop authors from simply re-uploading them? I would imagine significant review queue time increases as a result.

Itā€™s completely against Envatos terms and if the user was caught, they would face account removal.

6 Likes

Well yes, but it would be next to impossible for Envato to know that a previously deleted item was uploaded again unless they implemented some sort of audio fingerprinting system. Even then, a few minor modifications and it can be passed off as a completely ā€˜newā€™ item.

Iā€™m certainly not saying itā€™s right or ethical. Iā€™m just saying itā€™s likely to happen.

It is possible, but when you upload a file, you have a log on your account, so reviewers can check that. And as @tommusrhodus said, this is highly, very, ultra, mega against Terms and yeah, if you do that, there are high chances youā€™ll get disabled.

Iā€™m thinking Envato already thought of this when creating the review system since you donā€™t hear about these things happening! :slight_smile:

It does happen quite frequently. Iā€™ve come across accounts where the same track has been uploaded and approved multiple times with only very minor variations (which Iā€™ve reported) and other cases have been called out on the forums. And thatā€™s before we get to the issue of the same track being uploaded to multiple accounts.

No blame to the reviewers - how are they meant to check for this sort of things whilst also keeping on top of queues?

This is why the issue of cloned tracks keeps getting raised in the discussion of active content and is not ā€˜off topicā€™. Amongst other things the concept of ā€˜active contentā€™ is seeking to address the problem of AJ being saturated with ever increasing numbers of very similar tracks. Cloning is not the only cause but it highlights the issue of how difficult it is to enforce the existing rules, let alone introduce any attempt to clear things out a bit, without some kind of finger print recognition system being available.

2 Likes

every now and then I still get 1 or 2 sales from my older items/inactive. I donā€™t see a point in removing them since they donā€™t require much work to maintain and at the end of the day, a couple of dollars is better than nothing. But if you can confirm to us, that having these low/inactive items is detrimental to your portfolio, then maybe I should reconsider.

2 Likes

There are countless threads about this issue.

For that thereā€™s Envato Help and Support . Posting on the forums without reporting it will not make them disappear! If they need investigation, then a ticket is required. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip, but I was merely reacting to your saying this was unheard of.

1 Like

On ThemeForest where I am mostly around, it is unheard of, and those that have tried have been disabled quite fast.

Today Iā€™ve changed the price of some super old items that iā€™ve never sold to 4$, I take commission out of 1 dolla and Envato makes 3$ā€¦well 10hrs later Envato made 3$ from a 5years old video! :joy:

3 Likes

Right after this announcement all my old, but for sure active items became ā€œinactiveā€ and sales have dropped drastically all of a sudden. Also I got an impression, that my items became completely invisible in US.
Donā€™t really want to complain or write off tops, but this seem to be related to this topic.
Are there some sort of tests taking place? Maybe anyone have same issue?

What gave you this impression?

In general I see the same picture as when Envato ran some tests related to search algorithm last year (sorry, donā€™t remember exact time - but then we saw sales drop and really old and inactive items suddenly got views). Regarding US - most of my sales always were from US, but starting February this year itā€™s customers strangely desappeared for me.

A month?..what about the xmas file thatā€™s for sale in February, kill it because it didnā€™t sell by Marchā€¦12 months would need to be the minimum because of seasonal items.

1 Like

Here is the point:

The more ā€œmainstreamā€ an item is, the more target group it has and finally better chances that it will remain active. Vice versa more unique content will more likely become inactive.

The result is that diversity and richness will shrink and ā€œordinaryā€ items will appear more in the search. Finally this will support the stereotype of stock footage being boring and uninspired.

A successful stock marked needs a broad variety and a good search system, an activity filter is not the proper tool to enhance quality.

@svgstephen

5 Likes

A lot of active content was refused, perhaps good selling items ā€¦

The same here - less US customers starting Februaryā€¦