Introducing Active Content

I believe that all items that have 0 sales! And did not sell for a month, are subject to immediate removal! :sunglasses:

Immediate removal after a month? Maybe for trendy stuff like corporate or something, but suicidal for jazz, country or any other less frequented categoriesā€¦ One month is way too short! Many of my good sellers began to sell after a monthā€¦ :slight_smile:

11 Likes

And itā€™s recommended that items relating to holidays are uploaded at least 6 weeks before the dateā€¦ so if you upload a Christmas track at the beginning of November, itā€™s going to get removed if itā€™s not had any sales by the first week in December.

2 Likes

After a year, If we speak about videos ā€¦ A month is way to short for video to become a top seller. Impossible.
After all: very few companies delete files once accepted into their portfolios! They move them into B-sections, free files, low priced files, etc. To delete them it would be a very bad decision. I am speaking for clips, not for other items VideoHive has.

And if an Item that is not selling well is here, on Video Hive: isnā€™t there a kind of big responsibility of a curator to let the item in, to accept them? Curators are supposed to be the eye of a hawk what is good and what is not good. Sometimes most ā€˜uglyā€™ clips become top sellers and most beautiful clips become a waste, trash.

I had my portfolio on PhotoDune completely removed and now being asked to upload it once more? Serious? Well, perhaps I will one day ā€¦ Where do curators find their time to spend it for curating new (old) photos? And it looks it will happen all the same with VideoHive items. Curate ā€˜oldā€™ videos once again? And they do not found their time to make fast curating on new clips that wait for a months and months ā€¦ Or am I wrong?

I must at the end say: I had and I still have a very good experiences here on Envato Market! So I hope I will stay with this words in the future. I wish to ā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

You got to be kidding, arenā€™t you? :slight_smile:

You may have read my post without taking the post I was replying to into account. As a result, my intention may not have been 100% clear. He was listing reasons why it was a bad idea to remove items after one monthā€¦ I just added another reason to that list.

Unless you knew exactly what I meant and feel itā€™s a ridiculous idea to not delete festive items after one month?!

2 Likes

@SpaceStockFootage

Yes, sorry, I kind of understand all! :slight_smile: Your posts and POV.

1 Like

Honestly speaking, we all need to re-evaluate quality of our portfolio. I usually browse through my files with aim to find what is selling and what not, which of my files sound dated. If my older project live and i can open it, i prefer to change something, refreshing mixing or mastering of my tracks. So the idea of active content (or selling content) is great idea, and it is great idea to stay only with items, that got community response in form of sales. For me 1 year is a logical period for evaluation of ā€œactive stateā€ of music track. If items stay with zero sales after 1 year, it is almost dead, i mean it is 99,9% dead and it need to be removed.

2 Likes

I think it might be a sort of automatic deletion or automatic suggestions to deletion. The formula is simple: 1 year without sale = deletion.

2 Likes

You probably wrong, i have great records of item sales during my 5 years on this market. Some niche and great items got boost in sales after 1 month or even more. So 1 month is not the correct period of judgind do your items perfom good or bad.

1 Like

@LumenMedia: one year sounds reasonable. Although this is not praxis among competition (other companies) to delete anything from their servers. ā€¦ Speaking for footage.

Because there is (for now) a big advantage if company (stock footage provider) tells their customers:

We have 6,5 millions stock footage in our database. This tells customers a powerful data: if you will join us, you will have almost anything ever shoot in stock footage scene on the world.

Umm? What will then Envato say: one year there will be 250,000 stock footage, next year there will be 174,000 stock footage, another year 261,000 stock footage.

I know this is little funny, my words above. I know advantage: better quality over quantity. Agree.

I have already try to make my own ā€˜almost free sectionā€™; have lower prices for some of my stock footage with 0 sale. So far - no respond, no additional sales.

Perhaps: 0 sales after 1 year: automatically price is set down for 50% and locked. If no sale after 6 months from that date: either into free section (or ultra cheap, like 1$, 2$, ā€¦), or auto delete of a file.

Although once more: this is not a praxis with most of stock footage providers.

I just hope there will not be complete portfolio removes as on PD ā€¦ :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry. Looks another attempt to lay the burden on authors.
You know, the ā€œwordingā€ā€¦: ā€œactive contentā€ā€¦

These items are approved by Envato in the first place (and we all know how a difficult process it is to get an item approved here), meaning that unless the technology of the item in question is too old or obsolete (i.e.Adobe Flash), the approved item has a potential to sell (Envato approved the item for a reason, right?)ā€¦ So, letā€™s talk about ā€œactive marketplaceā€, what about that? Are these items getting enough promotion they really deserve?

As one of the fellow authors has already stated, please donā€™t force anyone on this (whatever you mean by the phrase ā€œintroducing active contentā€)

Kind Regards,
Bedros

So rather than you having the ā€˜burdenā€™ of assessing your portfolio, and potentially deleting items that havenā€™t sold, don;t sell very well and may not sell very well in the futureā€¦ you would rather Envato did that for you? You want them to go through your portfolio and start deleting a bunch of stuff?

1 Like

If I would have to choose: I would do this by my own.

But this is something I havenā€™t seen (stock footage speaking about) nowhere. This is, for my terms and in those times (who knows, perhaps other companies will do same in years to come), very bad praxis. Specially to delete whole author portfolio. Nonsense. Seen this on PD. Been through this in PD.

What is a term ā€˜donā€™t sell very well?ā€™

100 sales/year? or 1 sale/year or 0 sales on date when item would be removed?

VH has around 500,000 items together; from that number there are ??? stock footage? I am not sure. But whole number is achieved in other companies in about 10 weeks! Other big players upload to their libraries about 50,000-80,000 clips/weekly.

And VH would now delete from this ā€¦ small ā€¦ portfolio of clips ??? number of (bad or not selling) clips. Is this any sense in this action? I am not so sure.

Umm? I just spotted a portfolio of top author with I guess 0 items with 0 sales. Woow! :slight_smile:

Again; hope that they will not delete 100% of our portfolios on VH ā€¦

ā€¦ useless to discuss ā€¦

Thanks you

This! Completely agreed! In the case of code files, simple, give them new life. In other cases, well, that may be delicate! :slight_smile:

1 Like

To me it doesnā€™t matter what we would or wouldnā€™t do with that info, itā€™s about keeping things transparent between Envato and the authors. For all I know I may only have 10 items that Envato consider ā€œactiveā€, if thatā€™s the case I want to know this metric, whether it means anything or not at this point doesnā€™t matter, as Iā€™m sure this announcement is a precursor to some bigger changes.

All I ask is that Envato take the guess work out, if you keep tabs on items in the marketplace in terms of whether theyā€™re active or inactive, I think you owe it to the authors to forward this same indication. Literally a red or green circle in the bottom right of our item thumbnails would be enough.

1 Like

I will supplement, music files can also be given a second life, resurrect from the ā€œdeadā€ by updating! :wink: Well and probably corresponding additional promotion!

I can see why some items have a shorter life span and others a longer one. Like WordPress vs Sound Effects. I donā€™t know WordPress or coding, but as I understand it, the items need to be updated to function with new WordPress/Coding versions and ā€œenvironmentsā€?

I have a sound effect I uploaded in December 2016. I had one sale in a year and considered it uninteresting for buyers. Then suddenly, now in the beginning of 2018, I had 5 sales. I canā€™t see why this sound effect would ever need to become ā€œinactiveā€. Itā€™s a sound effect customers donā€™t need very often, but when they need it I hope they will be able to find it on the shelf.

I once heard someone say that the life span of a stock photo is about 5 years. I heard someone here suggesting a month. A month? Oh, God, if my Sound Effects would become ā€œinactiveā€ after only a month there would be no reason for me to continue. Not even if the life span was a year.

Those are my thoughts. Peace!

8 Likes

I used to run a small post studio, and started buying music here for one simple reason. I had had a situation when using music from another very popular stock music site (that will remain unnamed), in which in the same month there were 3 ads on TV from 3 different post houses that coincidentally licensed the same track. It was embarrassing to say the least. This was rare for advertising, but happened frequently in corporate video work as well. Needless to say this other site doesnā€™t show sales on the itemā€™s page.

I have avoided the top sellers from the start, and the ability to license music that I was able to have confidence had less of a chance to be used by my competitors was a big plus for me. Better yet it they had zero sales.

I know the vast majority of buyers goes for the top sellers. Envato probably has huge amounts of data to prove this and itā€™s in their interest to to maximize profits. But there is a small but important group of buyers that come here for that singular and unique jem that is hard to find and probably has been sitting in the server collectiing dust forever (I once needed a really cheesy soap opera piano track for a fast turnaround comedic radio spot and was blessed to find it here in less than half an hour, to my clientā€™s amazement. Of course, it was a really old track with practically no sales). It would be a shame to lose this service, because this is what I believe really sets AudioJungle apart from the others, the huge amount of authors from vastly different backgrounds churning out really useful music.

I really hope Envato doesnā€™t ruin this for us by just focusing on the big money making tracks and steady sellers. Sure, they make the bulk of the income, but with this cryptic announcement you may be inadvertently killing a sale before it has had a chance to happen. I speak as both an author and a buyer.

Sorry for the long postā€¦

30 Likes