Installation fails for wpdatatables

I downloaded the new plugin update for wpdatables PRO version, but it did not like the original version sitting there. Can we just remove the older version and install this or will that kill the existing data tables?

Installing Plugin from uploaded file: codecanyon-3958969-wpdatatables-tables-and-charts-manager-for-wordpress.zip
Unpacking the package…

Installing the plugin…

Destination folder already exists. /home/ajy214/mobileyezusa.com/wp-content/plugins/wpdatatables/

Plugin installation failed.

This is from the item’s description:

Update procedure: Disable plugin, overwrite with files from the new package, enable plugin again. This is necessary since the database structure has to be updated on reactivation.

If you need further clarification I would suggest asking the author.

Good luck! :smiley:

1 Like

Ok thanks. I’m daring to ask an ignorant question, but why does the update not follow the usual plugin update?

I’ll give it a try, but from experience, manual efforts incur risk that usually shows itself when most likely not needed.

Software usually comes in a package, but I defer to the SMEs in this case and thank you for the recommendation on the author.

Hi,

Unfortunately due to WordPress restrictions we couldn’t add a confirmation on plugin delete action if the user wants to keep existing tables and charts. Previously we were just keeping those in DB, but it caused problems when someone wanted to clean up the site and remove the plugin. We are still exploring the option to add som workaround to ask the user prior to plugin delete if the data should be deleted as well, however for now it’s the best to overwrite the plugin manually and do deactivate, and activate again.

For further assistance please contact our support team at http://tmsplugins.ticksy.com - we will be glad to help.

Thanks @baileyherbert for the advice! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You don’t give a good answer on how to overwrite the file if we can’t install with wordpress, give an exact answer please? Give an example!