Increasing Fixed Buyer Fees for WordPress and PHP Items on CodeCanyon

Guys you need to return your attention to us contributors. I am starting to be afraid of what is next, I feel like every move is made without any cosideration for us authors and somehow into envato benefit, this has to stop, I love this marketplace it is part of my life at this point and I want to continue and evolve with envato, I want to feel safe about it again!

9 Likes

Im getting back with some info related to this.

Look at it this way:

The $1 is not just a $1 increase. It is actually a 25% increase and you can clearly see it on the rates for Extended licenses also.

From $20 to $25. ( 25% increase )
18%20PM

Like @FWDesign said, maybe start putting some thought into this before making those decisions because WE, authors make the platform, Without us, putting in the work hours, days, months and some of us, years, you wouldn’t have not have any content to sell.

Start focusing on the creators, you already make tons of money from the percentages of all the sales throughout the platform and you want to charge even more? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You could at least make a tool for bulk price increase/decrease on all of our items at once, because if you want to increase price of all items by 1$, you have to do it manually one by one.

The math lesson (I’m not sure everyone will understand this)
100 customers = $100
60 customers = $60
How to: 60 customers = $100?

1 Like

@BenLeong so it’s only CodeCanyon that has increased costs of operation for Envato, or is this a soft launch to see how the community reacts and then this will be pushed to ThemeForest too?

ThemeForest in queue I guess.

1 Like

@BenLeong Our objections or our concerns matter to you people?? As so far not a single decision was revoked where majority of authors raised objections.

1 Like

True, but usually the reply is: “send your DMCA notice”

1 Like

Hi all - I’ll compile questions from this thread to answer them now where I can, and get more information from other teams where needed.

Longer notice period - raised by a few people, particularly affecting authors who have pricing details included in their marketing graphics. This is a very fair point, and had a greater impact than anticipated. It’s something we’ll make sure we factor in to our plans for any future announcements: Authors deserve fair warning if a change will cause them additional work.

Scope of these changes (raised by @tommusrhodus) - the PHP & WordPress categories on CodeCanyon are the only categories affected. We are not currently planning any fee changes to other categories or marketplaces, but reserve the right to do so where necessary. It’s worth noting that we have changed prices before, but never very frequently - this is the first time that any fees for an Author-Driven Pricing category have been changed since that policy came into effect.

Extended license fees (raised by @GrohsFabian) - for CodeCanyon, these are currently set at 5x the Regular License fees across all item categories. That ratio stays unchanged here, so a $1 increase in Buyer Fee for a Regular license will translate to a $5 increase for the corresponding Extended license. You can see all the current Buyer Fees listed here.

Fraud protection clarification (raised by several people). As @KingDog mentioned, please note that this is a separate function to copyright/IP disputes - see this article for more information on the DMCA process. I’m unable to provide more detailed information on the way our Fraud Prevention team works.

Buyer fees clarification - these are defined in our glossary (near the bottom of that page) as a fee that buyers pay to Envato, for use of the platform and services. This is the reason why these changes are reflected in the total item prices, and not in the author’s component of an item’s sales. The Buyer Fee covers a complex range of services, but a recent example is our shift last month to 24/7 coverage for customer support tickets. That has improved the rate at which we can resolve support issues, helping us to retain customers more effectively.

If you have more questions or feedback, please let us know. However, please also be cautious around our rules on item price discussions. Specifically, any posts using a similar format to “I’m going to raise/lower all my item prices” or “All CodeCanyon authors should do X to their prices” will be removed immediately, as there are strict laws (and our forum rules) that forbid price-fixing discussions.

3 Likes

I’m wondering what Envato and other authors thinks about this situation:
The price number is not just number. It has some meanings and there is bunch of research on that. So people hate now 49, 59, 69 and all those 9’s as they think they are frauded. The best numbers are 5’s, 1’s, 4’s and 0’s. So I had fixed 55 USD price (51 USD price + 4 USD buyer fee). Now I see the price is changed to 56 USD. As I go to conferences and talk about my product, including this year Envato EuroTour in Belgrade and WordCamp Europe, I would get myself into liar situation saying price is 55 while it got 56 two days ago. I set it back now to 50 USD + 5 USD buyer fee, but I prefer to be informed when buyer fee changes or so. There even should be information in Item Analytics about actual item price (with buyer fee), as now I cannot even know the day when it was changed as nor the statements page, nor analytics display that price change saying it didn’t changed while it DID. The second reason is that if I change price I want to do that not more often than once a year, and currently I prefer that 55 USD that was set this year will stay there for 3 years at least, as same it was with previous price.

1 Like

Even on the official page of Envato it still says that the buyer fee is $4, while it is now $5:

Envato%20buyer%20fees%202018%20May%2021%20at%20CodeCanyon

1 Like

@BenLeong - I just can’t believe you didn’t bother sending us an email a few days before you did this, shouldn’t we be partners here? And partners should know about such things, don’t you think ?

3 Likes

Guys, please keep the conversation civil and to the point. Discussing anything that is related to copyrights will be deleted without warning. You can always voice those concerns via private messages or via Envato Help and Support.

1 Like

When I saw the new prices in my profile, I said ops did my account got hacked or something :smile:

7 Likes

Now is more than clear what was the purpose of splitting the item price with a fixed buyer fee (was not so clear on that moment). Author is free to choose his item price (cool on a fist impression) but Envato can control and change the additional fee (buyer fee) anytime with one button.

Today is $5, maybe tomorrow back to $4 or the day after tomorrow up to $6.

Nice move, we can admit!

1 Like

Well, i don’t care about the fact they have increased it that much, it’s expected, everyone has expenses.

Problem is that i have just increased my item price to $59 a few days ago, for marketing purposes, and now it’s $60 and if i lower down 1 buck, i lose it and i also hurt people who purchased it for $60.

This is why i wanted to know about the change a few days ago so i could plan accordingly…

3 Likes

3 Likes

What if I didn’t upload an update (BTW: uploader is BUGGED on Firefox since last week) and saw all my prices changed???

Not an e-mail, not a dashboard warning. Everything silently and with the minimum forewarn, while normally things are properly advertised. Isn’t it a bit strange…?

And as @KestutisIT said, items price isn’t just a mere number. Specially on Codecanyon where we can have bundles. I’m gonna lose at least 1$ per sale.

Anyway, I can complain here, but I stopped trusting Envato years ago. No one cares about authors, this ridiculous warning is only the last outrage.

1$ increase per item is a HUGE increase in the Envato wallet per month and we get nothing in exchange. Ones listed above are only pretexts.

oh:

You made my day man! :rofl:

4 Likes

At first view I thought my account get hacked but then I realize envato did this. Sudden increase in price I think is not good for us.if we decrease price by 1$ then our profit will decrease.

Ok, I understand, I’ll lose $1 more from each sale now (apart from the $50 lost monthly for the forced automatic credit withdrawals that no one asked for), but please, never ever again change prices without giving a notice before. Who thought suddenly changing prices is a good idea? We have promortional materials, landing pages, paid ads all mentioning the price we have set, you can’t just say “hey, we increased the pries of your items so we can take 25% more from each sale, no action is required from your part”.

1 Like