Improving search for Elements

I love the variety and amount of stuff available with Elements, but finding the right things to use can be extremely hard. Can I make a couple of suggestions to improve search to help?

1. We need creator names to be searchable, not just clickable. Let’s say I’m looking for a bunch of illustrations for a project and find one by a prolific content creator. Exciting! I might be able to find all the rest by that same creator and have my project look coherent. But all I can see to do at the moment is click the link to the creator and see ALL their stuff. The more they have done, the harder it is to find what I need from them. That is counter-productive for the creator, who ought to be rewarded more for the amount they have shared and not effectively penalised by making their stuff hard to find.

2. Searches need to be made more specific by adding keywords, not less. It seems like the more I specify my needs, the more hits come up which include any of what I search for. I need to narrow my search rather than produce massive results which take hours to browse.

If these two things can be done in combination, I’ll be able to get through lists of what I need much more efficiently. Without it, Elements is getting harder to use the more content is added, and that can’t be good for anyone’s business!

4 Likes

I wanted to bring up the same question before searching for this topic and finding yours. I thought “I can’t be the only one being annoyed by the horrible search”, and I was right, but sadly it looks like the envato team doesn’t care.

Why would you make an additive search, where more keywords mean more results? In what world should “a black cat holding a red lamp in a yellow boat” bring more results than any of those search terms on their own? Why can’t we exclude terms, tags, authors? That is search functionality from 2000. I don’t want to wade through the 300th lightroom preset an author uploaded that day to see what else is new. I want to search my favorite authors portfolio for their work, but that’s not possible.

The more “content” is uploaded to envato elements, the harder it gets to put up with its horrible search system. It takes longer and longer for me to find anything useful for my projects, diminishing the value I get for my money really harshly. Not sure I’ll renew without proper search improvements.

A disgruntled customer.

1 Like