Improve Your Sales on 3D Ocean!

articles
tips-and-tricks

I thought I would write up a little article on self promotion for your items here on 3D Ocean. It’s been made quite clear that people are worried about the amount of sales on 3D Ocean. This is slowly improving with the more models that get uploaded. I’ve written out a few simple steps that everyone can take to improve their items and improve its search engine friendliness and therefore increasing sales.

1. Item Descriptions

Give your items a good description. I see a lot of items with only a sentence for a description. I always make sure to have at least 2 small paragraphs of text describing my items, making sure there are plenty of keywords within the text. This will help with people who are searching for a specific 3D model. Add links to similar items you supply that you think the buyer would also be interested in. Add some links to your online profiles to make the buyer feel like you’re always available for help or for more items. Like I have done here LINK.

2. File Types

Try to include as many different file types as you can with your item. I use Cinema 4D and use a plugin to create .obj files and also export .c4d and .3ds files. This will attract more buyers to your items as you are targeting a wider audience. This is so your items aren’t restricted to one program.

3. File Subject

Always try to create something that no one has uploaded yet. See if there is a gap in the market like Paguthrie has with his HDRi files. I always try to create furniture for architectural renders, mechanical items for technical drawings or items that designers can use to showcase their designs for example my CD Case and CD model. Also always make sure you add wireframe previews of your models, this helps the buyer to see the polygon layout and the amount of detail without the textures.

4. Help Files

Some authors seem to think that help files are pointless because using a 3D model is pretty straight forward, but it can help with sales. The help file allows the buyer to see how to get in contact with you whilst also supplying extra links to more items you have for sale. Link to your files in as many places as you possibly can.

5. Self Promotion

This is one of the big ones! I have many online profiles including my own website. As a designer you should have your own online portfolio to showcase your projects. This also gives prospective clients more ways to get in touch and view your work. I also use Twitter as a way of getting updates and new item announcements to the world. I’ve had a lot of clickthroughs from Twitter, also improving sales and promotion. With all my links to my items no matter where they are featured I always add the “?ref=WildeMedia” link to the end so I can see how many clickthroughs I get from my links. I also try to double the clickthroughs from the previous month. Try to update your online profiles at least once a week if you can’t manage it daily.

Here’s a list of great sources of advertising / promotion:

• Twitter
  • Tumblr
  • DeviantArt
  • Behance
  • CG Hub
  • Facebook
  • Flickr

6. Item Detail

"Try to present your models with some zoomed-in details and pictures, go to the maximum… show their awesomeness!"
Tip added by danielku

This is a great idea as many authors just add side/front/rear views of their models, I’m guilty of this myself so this tip will help me. :slight_smile: Another great tip is to show your model in the environment that it will be used in, for example an interior room or a garden. Try to show your model at it’s best.

I hope this thread will help some of you. Let me know if it does! :slight_smile:

Good luck with your sales!

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

Excellent info! Thank you… so important!

Fantastic advice. I especially like the part about linking to your other files in your help file. I’ve actually been doing that for a while with positive results. I get a lot of repeat buyers. I’m going to link to this post from AD. I think the authors there will really appreciate this.

Glad to be of help everyone. Hope it helps with your sales. :slight_smile:

Yes very good advice! Thanks for posting this! I would like to add one more point about presentation. I think it is very important to always include a wireframe rendering in the preview images as this is the first thing I look for when I want to buy a file. It is very important information on how well the model is constructed. In general the presentation is very important. Often we have nice models but the presentation is lacking a bit so the model does not look as attractive as it could. It is worth spending some time on a good render setup that can be used to showcase all your models. :slight_smile:

Yes very good advice! Thanks for posting this! I would like to add one more point about presentation. I think it is very important to always include a wireframe rendering in the preview images as this is the first thing I look for when I want to buy a file. It is very important information on how well the model is constructed. In general the presentation is very important. Often we have nice models but the presentation is lacking a bit so the model does not look as attractive as it could. It is worth spending some time on a good render setup that can be used to showcase all your models. :)

Awesome additional advice there. I completely forgot about a render scene. That is what I have done. I have a scene with good lighting and a nice back drop to show my models at their best. This could also help buyers to recognise your new models on the homepage amongst the other new files.

Christine, what C4D plugin are you using for file exports?

As for preview renders, if you don’t want to spend a lot of time on your setup Nick Campbell has a really nice C4D library HDRI Light Kit Pro that will quickly make very nice renders.

Christine, what C4D plugin are you using for file exports?

As for preview renders, if you don’t want to spend a lot of time on your setup Nick Campbell has a really nice C4D library HDRI Light Kit Pro that will quickly make very nice renders.

Hi Bryce,

I use Riptide for exporting .obj files from Cinema 4D. It does struggle with some models though, still trying to figure out why. You can export .3ds files straight from Cinema 4D without a plugin.

I’ve just noticed the shiny banner on my posts! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yeah new banners! Sweet :slight_smile:

You can export .3ds files straight from Cinema 4D without a plugin.

Thats what I thought, but it made me curious. Always seems that there’s a better way and I thought maybe just maybe someone had a plugin :slight_smile:

awesome advice wilde!!

I personally like number 4. That’s one personal thing I always look in a file before purchase…

I dont understand how to add a link to your items on your profiles works…sorry my ignorance…could you explain a little more? just curious…im not selling anything…but may work for other business I have

keep the good work guys!

awesome advice wilde!!

I personally like number 4. That’s one personal thing I always look in a file before purchase…

I dont understand how to add a link to your items on your profiles works…sorry my ignorance…could you explain a little more? just curious…im not selling anything…but may work for other business I have

keep the good work guys!

Hi ZonadeArte,

I’m glad you find the information helpful.

I try to make sure I link to my online profiles such as Twitter and Tumblr so my buyers can keep in contact or up to date with updates and new items. Like I have done here with my Twitter and 3D Ocean profile - LINK under the Follow Me heading.

If you also look at my profile page you can see I’ve added all my items there in the form of a gallery. You can use this idea to add items to the description of an item to show buyers other items you supply.

Thanks for making this a sticky! :slight_smile:

Thanks for making this a sticky! :)

Yes very good info here!! Thanks… keep it at the top :slight_smile:

6. put people in the mood to buy something from you

always I visit some of my fav authors across the marketplaces they do an awesome job on quality and providing special things nobody else does, I wanna buy it… that might be different on 3DO, try to present your models with some zoomed-in details and pictures, go to the maximum… show them awesomeness!

always I visit some of my fav authors across the marketplaces they do an awesome job on quality and providing special things nobody else does, I wanna buy it… that might be different on 3DO, try to present your models with some zoomed-in details and pictures, go to the maximum… show them awesomeness!

Great follow up to that point! Well said!

Yep! Good point.

Hi danielku thats an awesome tip, one I will be taking into account for my next model. :slight_smile:
I’ve added your tip to the first post so people can read it along with the other tips.

thanks everyone