Important: Serious Vulnerability in Revolution Slider & Showbiz Pro (WordPress) Plugins

wpbakery said

Why Envato is publishing this now if it was already fixed? Obviously it can affect sales… But isn’t relevant anymore (because authors fixed the problem already). I think in that case it would be better if Envato use email instead…

people who bought the themes use them for their business. if their websites is hacked because of this plugin then they will lose money, time, get nervous and for a good reason. It is important that they update this as soon as possible if their website is affected.

envato did what any responsible company should do. inform the buyers as soon as possible if there is a problem and if possible offer a solution.

They also said that they didn’t knew this problem exist till now which is not a great thing and I’m trying to understand who have the responsibility for this.

it may affect sales but imagine having thousands of websites hacked and a company that play hide and seek with this. THAT would really bring down sales.

Fortunately the action today show that envato takes these issues seriously when required. Hope the buyers understand this also and even if problems happen (no software is perfect), envato will take the steps required to protect their customers.

wpbakery said

Why Envato is publishing this now if it was already fixed? Obviously it can affect sales… But isn’t relevant anymore (because authors fixed the problem already). I think in that case it would be better if Envato use email instead…

Hi Michael, great question! We only became aware of it a couple of days ago as per our announcement. As the security of Envato Market and our entire community is something we are always very concerned about, we’d rather do what we can to help rather than remain passive. As it’s a huge vulnerability with something that’s pervading and popular with a massive amount of buyers and authors here, we just wanted to be as proactive as possible to educate and inform. We’re using a combination of our blog, our forums, social media, and e-mail to get the word out and to ensure no stone is left unturned. Collis also mentions in the blog announcement how we hope to address and improve measures to ensure that situations like this can be better mitigated in the future.

Hope this helps.

wpbakery said

It may be fixed and most of the theme authors have updated their items but that does not mean that buyers updated files on their server. [Link removed. We don’t want to give hackers any encouragement :slight_smile: ^TK] Just do a quick search on google, look in the release_log.txt and you’ll see how almost every installation use an old version of this plugin. (I personally could not find a 4.2+ version).

ImanGM said

P.S. May the the title of the thread should change to something like this:

Important: Vulnerability in Revolution Slider & Showbiz Pro (WordPress) Plugins - FIXED, Please Update!

Definitely see where you’re coming from, Iman, but I think the word “FIXED” (despite the “Please update” call to action) sometimes has the connotation that no-one needs to do anything. That might not be true for a lot of people who never updated. We always appreciate ideas and feedback like this however, glad you mentioned it, thanks! :slight_smile:

ThemePunch addressed this months ago. This news is so old news. Sucuri, Dreamhost and others are making hay of this now solely for profit purposes.

For any Striking MultiFlex users, all theme versions 1.0.2 and subsequent (and all the preceeding 1.0.2 betas which were released only as internal builds to users who were interested) in Feb/March 2014 of this year incorporated the updated version of the Rev Slider plugin with the vulnerability removed.

We are now at Version 1.1 of Striking MultiFlex.

Themepunch addressed this matter immediately upon knowledge of it. Its right in their log. If you did not understand it then you should have asked them. They have a very active support team and are extremely easy to reach - we can vouch for that as we speak with them all the time.

Themeforest is supposed to be a marketplace for professionals - so it stands to reason that if you are not keeping on top of scripts, theme updates (irrespective of theme) and plugin updates, as a professional you don’t have anyone to blame anyone but yourself. If you are in the DIY category of user, and have a theme with a concern or an author who has not updated, then advise Themeforest - don’t take it out on the marketplace because you did not understand your purchase terms, or the high quality developers.

Themes are under no obligation to update. The Themeforest sales model is one buys a piece of software at an inexpensive price, and upon successful downloading the contract is fulfilled. Simple, End of Story! Its right in the marketplace licensing terms. It makes sense to choose an author (like us!) who has a long term track record of maintaining a theme, but that is your choice.

AS well, were one following wp best practices such as moving the wp config file outside the root, or moving the wp admin, or even employing a simple tweak or two in the .htaccess file for limiting access, the issue of the vulnerability that was in the Rev Slider is moot.

Yes, the plugin had a vulnerability, but so have many widely used theme scripts in the past. Remember Timthumb? The last wp core update 3.9.2 was entirely about removing potential hacks. Same with many of the php updates.

What we think is more relevant is that one has been shown a significant weakness inthe product offerings of both Sucuri, and Dreamhost. We never recommend either to any of our customers but this is yet more proof that there is less then meets the eye there in respect of their products. They are attempting to hop on the train but it left the station months ago…

============

As for not allowing wp plugins to be placed into a theme which has been noted in a comment or two of this thread, sorry, that is so much hogwash. For a theme developer plugins are just another form of script that potentially can be deployed in a theme. If you are concerned about a theme that has built-in plugins, its simple, don’t purchase. But sorry, we are not going to restrict our themebuilding decisions on the basis of such elementary concerns.

Every theme is in fact just a collection of scripts in one form or another, and if the integration of such concerns you, then really there is nothing at all you can use.

We have to bite our tongues every time we see this type of issue about plugins included in a theme raised at Themeforest. How premium plugins are advertized when included in a theme is a relevant discussion. Pricing for extended plugin licenses is a relevant discussion. But really, the issue of inclusion of plugins, whether one has offloaded one’s own code for a function into a built-in plugin, included a codex plugin such as breadcrumbs plus, or a premium plugin, just shouts, well that part is best left unsaid…

The goal at themeforest should not be to dumb down every theme to the level of that found in the codex, at wordpress.com or some of the competing theme sites such as template monster. That is the goal of the competition hammering away at Themeforest due to the current issue. Don’t fall for it.

Best Regards

Striking Team

James

scottwills said

Definitely see where you’re coming from, Iman, but I think the word “FIXED” (despite the “Please update” call to action) sometimes has the connotation that no-one needs to do anything. That might not be true for a lot of people who never updated. We always appreciate ideas and feedback like this however, glad you mentioned it, thanks! :slight_smile:

Got it! The first priority is to inform everyone about it and ask them to fix their issues as soon as possible. Thanks Scott :slight_smile:

By the way, I have another suggestion to help protect more buyers and also support @themepunch.

May be you should put a link to Revolution Slider in the announcement section of the homepage and put a big announcement on its item description page that there is an important update - security patch and everybody should update their plugins or ask theme authors to update it in their themes.

This way one of our best selling plugins won’t loose its sales (and respect) also more buyers will understand about this issue and will do actions to protect their sites…

Sorry if this sounds silly but it’s just a quick suggestion and I hope it could help both buyers and our marketplace :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Iman

Sorry guys, do you know if the Unite Revolution Slider for Joomla! is affected too?
I have it on one of my sites, from Theme-org template bought here.
Thanks a lot!

web4people said

Sorry guys, do you know if the Unite Revolution Slider for Joomla! is affected too?
I have it on one of my sites, from Theme-org template bought here.
Thanks a lot!

Hi,

This vulnerability is only on the Wordpress version.

Best regards,
Stefan

This is great. I thought Envato will not take this matter seriously because my post about it just got locked : http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/how-does-envato-handle-this-issues/141236#1112001 . Thanks!

Cheers,
phpbits

Hi All,

I’d like to suggest you all make sure that your demo sites are not affected by this.

I know of at least one elite author who included the fixed version of Slider Revolution in his themes (long ago), but forgot to update it on his demo site.

This is really serious. Someone can have your SQL login username and password in seconds. Please make sure your sites are safe.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Stephen

Thanks for the heads up!

@Natman:
Hi , please remove our “Ripple — Multi-Purpose OnePage Theme for Creatives” from the list of Potentially Affected Themes.
We have included the Version: 4.3.8 of Revolution slider on the theme.

Thank you.

some minor good news:

a) one of my sites was until yesterday still running an earlier 3.x version

b) I tried testing the vulnerability to wpconfig.php w/code line found at http://blog.sucuri.net/2014/09/slider-revolution-plugin-critical-vulnerability-being-exploited.html

c) my wordfence security plugin successfully blocked my test attempt

so you may want to install free wordfence and check

I think they’ve handled this quiet well given the circumstances.

What should have happened though is the developer needed to put his hand and say, hey I’ve messed this up you need to let everyone know ASAP… not do a quiet update and pretend nothing happened which is what appears to have happened…

MSFX said

I think they’ve handled this quiet well given the circumstances.

What should have happened though is the developer needed to put his hand and say, hey I’ve messed this up you need to let everyone know ASAP… not do a quiet update and pretend nothing happened which is what appears to have happened…

Even if we thought we handle well to protect the customers -who we could not reach back in february with the fix - based on the discussion with some experts, we from the ThemePunch Team would like to sincerely apologise to all our affected customers.

We would also like to thank all our customers and other developers who use our products. We appreciate that this security flaw has caused yourselves and our fellow developers extra work.

Thanks to the support of Envato for informing all our customers and giving out our latest release to our loyal customers.

Best Regards,

ThemePunch

Hello,

All this has revealed several major issues with the market and item updates. Most users are not aware of major product updates and very few are actually updating to latest versions. Most of that can be blamed on Envato and the fact that communication between authors and buyers is non existent. When you run your own market, you have methods to contact buyers and inform them about important updates. Right now, Envato can send only notification that new version is released with no information about the update, and I bet that most buyers don’t even open such emails. Whole updating system needs to be remade:

1. Author to provide mandatory changelog for each update. This changelog must be the part of notification emails. Optional message from author to buyers about the update.

2. Severity of the update: minor - bug fixes, major - new features. Maybe to include some sort of the flag to indicate that update contains major bug fixes or something like that.

3. Update email must be clearly marked for buyers to understand that update is important or containing new features or some fixes.

There is no way to prevent bugs or problems of any kind in any software, and regular updates will fix bugs as they are reported. It is crucial to have real update system that deals with changes, improves communication with buyers and increases number of updates when bug issues are found and fixed.

From what i have read here, this bug is fixed 7 months ago, and yet only now it is revealed and it is discovered that countless installations are still affected, because users didn’t update, because update process is flawed.

Forget half baked support changes ideas that no one really wants, focus on things both authors and buyers need to help everyone: improve security of the items, improve updates and create better update methods, improve authors communications with buyers to prevent future security problems. This is way more important and much more needed than changes to support.

Milan

+1 Milan… agree re this is a perfect example of why plugins need to have auto-update functionality ESPECIALLY when bundled with themes, since many people will not see this thread til too late, which is bad for all theme buyers,

envato/devs, if you allow bundled plugins it’s essential to embed auto-update functionality; eg if I buy the7 theme, there should be enabled auto-update of rev slider

ThemesDepot said

Another proof that we should not be bundling plugins into our themes. When will Envato act in this matter?

Please clarify what you mean by your use of the term “Bundling”. I don’t see it as proof but more like a “red herring” instead distracting from the real task / issue at hand here.

Taking separate plugin code and bundling it into the core part of any theme / framework rather than continuing to distribute it as a separate plugin is indeed bad. Distribution as a separate plugin (via TGM, etc) prevents a set of greater evils though IMO. If you prevent authors from re-using existing code then you’re not asking them to duplicate the efforts of others, you hold back progress / innovation and you’re not creating any kind of standards (think pre-industrial revolution / non interchangeable parts in US and other developed countries) as everything essentially becomes proprietary (regardless of it’s open source nature) and that promotes even more theme lock-in (which only benefits authors / envato, not buyers).

Envato really doesn’t need to act on your specific point. They merely provide the platform to sell. To tell authors they can’t use plugins in their themes is taking away choice and another move towards a dictatorship. It’s totally up to the authors to provide the updates and keep their customers updated / protected whether that be through an auto-update system of their own design or one that Envato provides. Plenty of authors already bypass the Envato update queue today for critical fixes so that’s not much of a concern. Even when the end user is made aware of a situation / understands but still doesn’t update, that’s on them. Whether they take responsibility for it or decide to put the blame on someone else is a another matter.

Hi everyone,

Quick update: We’ve reorganised the list into two groups:

1. Themes yet to offer a secure update
  2. Themes already offering a secure update

And provided a separate set of instructions for each.

Thanks!

We are working on a theme and one of the sliders is Revolution Slider, offering with the theme, but is higher version (Version 4.5.95), are we still affected by this security issue? or should we consider taking it out of the theme?