Important Changes to VideoHive Stock Footage Review

The VideoHive stock footage review queue has been steadily growing over the last year as more and more authors upload content. This is clearly an exciting category with a ton of growth both in authors and submissions.

The problem is we can’t sustainably keep up. Despite hiring new reviewers we’ve got an ever-growing backlog of submissions and authors currently have to wait 155 days before a first review is completed. Obviously, this is not the kind of experience we’d hope that our community has in submitting content.

So, we’re going to try something different.

To begin, we’re going to more strictly apply our existing content requirements. Back when the Stock Footage category was spinning up, we allowed for more leniency in the way we applied our requirements. Now that the library has a large number of files available, and a massive backlog of files to be reviewed, we’ve decided to tighten the reigns and only accept files that are completely in-line with our current standards.

The other big change we’re making is to put more emphasis on your approval ratio. As our reviewers evaluate submissions they will be keeping track of the total number of approved submissions and the total number of rejected submissions. If an author’s approval ratio remains at our threshold or above, we’ll continue to review their items. If however, the approval ratio falls below our threshold, we’ll reject the rest of their queued submissions.

Here’s an example of how this plays out:

An author has 1000 items in the review queue. Our team will review a sample of 100 items and approves 80 items (an approval ratio of 80%), our team then continues reviewing the rest of the items.

Our team reviews another author with 1000 items in the queue and after 100 randomly-selected items are reviewed, only 40 are approved (an approval ratio of 40%). The approved items are available on VideoHive but the rest of the items (960) are rejected.

Note: These numbers are just for this example, the actual approval ratio threshold and evaluation point may vary based upon an author’s history and the number of items submitted for review.

This is a big change to the “one item one review” policy we’ve had. It won’t solve all of our problems and it will likely create some new ones, but the current system is broken and it’s time for us to take action - we know we must reduce the queue, so authors aren’t waiting months on end for their items to be reviewed.

We also have to find a way to ensure fresh content is being added to Market on a regular basis, while reducing the amount of review effort spent on items that don’t meet our guidelines.

We’re not yet sure if this is an approach we’ll adopt for all submissions going forward. As we work through the existing queue in this way, we’ll be paying close attention to the data and feedback from our reviewers and authors. We’ll be constantly looking for opportunities to improve the process and will continue to update you here as things evolve.

What happens to ‘batch’ rejected items?

We encourage you to go through any rejected submissions, pick out items you believe meet our content requirements and re-submit those only.

For future submissions, it’s important to self-curate first.

Until now, many authors have submitted everything, without worrying about the content requirements, expecting that some of their items will likely get through even if many items do not. This approach won’t work going forward.

Even if we don’t continue sampling in this way, overall adherence to content requirements and approval ratios are likely going to play an increasingly important role in future review decisions. For example, we’re currently looking at ways to limit submissions from authors who are consistently submitting items that don’t meet our content requirements, including hard rejecting items that have been soft-rejected multiple times.

From today, submitting and reviewing becomes a shared responsibility for both Envato and authors. It’s really important that authors be selective, take onboard the feedback provided by our reviewers and ensure they only upload content that meets our requirements to avoid unnecessary rejections.

Upload your best and leave the rest.

Next steps

Beginning next week, we’ll start conducting these sample reviews and sending results to authors. Remember, this is new for us as well so expect there to be some tweaking of the process over time.

We’ll be monitoring this thread for the next week and providing answers in batches to questions that haven’t been covered here. Please remember to follow our community guidelines when you post.

Thanks and happy uploading!

8 Likes

Good approach. Hope that will help, however it’s looks like more reviewers are needed anyway.

Best regards,
Andrey

3 Likes

I feel something bad. I feel that this can become the end of a career for many authors who have a low ratio

3 Likes

Tell me when new changes will take effect, and when all files will be checked

I wouldn’t call it “good”, but interesting approach. It depends how Envato would calculate the “ratio”. I got super cool footage rejected many times… (maybe by mistake).

1 Like

As a new author this is really defeating to hear. Even with your new way of processing it appears the chances of getting going in a reasonable time frame on your marketplace are still hindered by bulk uploaders severely. I’d rather sign up to help approve than wait 1/3 of a year waiting to hopefully get 80% of my footage approved by a random persons opinion.

1 Like

Interesting idea, what actually freaks me out is the inconsistency in reviewing that I’ve noticed during my last batch. I had a few soft/hard rejects for ridicolous reasons that I had to fix via support tickets to get approved:

• An item got soft rejected because reviewer didn’t like my description when it’s a copy and paste of my last 300+ approved items.
  • They said Envato doesn’t accept 5K footage when instead it does.(it took me around 28 days of soft rejection for this!!!)
  • A customer bought me a 4K video and he realized I zipped the .flv version and not the .mov, so that means that who reviewed that item didn’t even checked the .zip file…
  • Plus a few times where items got hard rejected straight away when they could have been easily fixed via soft rejection (like noise reduction or other simple things)

So, what if for some reasons I randomly get a random poorly trained reviewer who randomly reviews my items in above circustamces and I get the rest of my items rejected? reuplaod them again and wait for ages?

Is it hard to have a team of pro reviewers like MotionRevolver? I would feel way more confident in uploading if I knew that a bunch of pro reviewers are working behind the scenes, and I wouldn’t see all this reviewing process like a big drama!

5 Likes

what are you talking about? Shutter has 1 day review time!
what the reason to upload stock footage on Videohive now? ))

instead tone of words let’s begin work like Shutter or Pond5 and we’ll think to upload some for your stock.
you can shoot yourself for Videohive with “our strict high requirements” this time

7 Likes

At one point in time (a year or two ago) the so called strict standards were so high here that my footage started getting rejected like crazy, quite often for some nonsensical reasons. Once I started contributing to other agencies, I realized how crazy these rejections were, because not only that some other agencies are more flexible, but that content (which is/was rejected here) actually got sold elsewhere. Now you say you will make your reviewing process even stricter…? That makes no sense.

Also, even with the improved upload interface, it is still very hard to upload bigger batches of footage. Last time I checked, there was still no option to edit multiple clips simultaneously. It means that (taking your example) if author uploads 1000 clips and you review 100 random ones and based on that you reject other 900 without looking at them, no one in their right mind would ever bother to reupload their footage here, even if it is good footage and would be accepted.

At least these are my 2 cents. I might be wrong and I hope this all works out. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I personally wouldn’t mind a raise in the standards, that would simply push me to produce better stuff which is good for everyone, me and Envato, but…

I expect clear guidelines about what Envato really needs, I need to know exactly how they are going to review the items, it’s not enough a general “strict requirements” because I don’t accept rejections for the reasons I listed in my previous post or simply because the reviewer woke up in a bad mood, or because the more items they review the more money they make!
Especially now where we authors risk to see a full batch being rejected for nosense reasons! What if for the law of numbers they pick the worst files of the batch and automatically rejects all the others that could have been masterpieces?

Another thing straight to the point, Envato, you can’t expect to talk about quality standards and keep the prices at 8$ for full HD where everywhere else is at least 5x the price, otherwise it’s like expecting that your employees at Melbourne HQ worked harder and for 2 extra hours per day for the same salary at the end of the month because blablabla…

It’s been a while since the last price increase, 5 years ago they were 5$ now we are at 8$, time to round it to 10$ (at least) don’t you think we deserve it? And you would still be the cheapest market out there!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

My vision is envato wants to make vdeo stock of premium level for cheap price. But will it be profitable, will we be able to return the invested money at a profit with 25$-36$ for one 4k video? And author recieve only 9-13$

While the fact that envato thus teaches us and makes us think more about quality and not about quantity. They motivate us to be the best and this is a positive moment in this whole

Envato, you can’t expect to talk about quality standards and keep the prices at 8$ for full HD where everywhere else is at least 5x the price, otherwise it’s like expecting that your employees at Melbourne HQ worked harder and for 2 extra hours per day for the same salary at the end of the month because blablabla…

I believe this is an extremely important point.

3 Likes

I think they know what they do, envato is their business. We need only accept everything as is and learns to improve quality.

I agree on this in part. Whenever I had resonable rejection, I learned and improved.
But at one point they started losing it - imho because they employed a bunch of reviewers coming from the PhotoDune world who didn’t understand real use of footage. At one point I started having footage rejections because they were “too static”. And then when I try to incorporate some motion, I got a lot of rejections for “too shaky clips”. God forbid you do a handheld shot! :slight_smile:
Meanwhile I saw a lot of “static” footage accepted and then I realized the worst part in it - there was no standard or there were (probably unintentional) double standards…

And atop all this hassle, we come to the point you so validly raised - price of the footage. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well written !Totally agree with the first part written !

1 Like

Hi there… I got the email notice about the change yesterday, and I think it’s bad for business - your business, Envato. I’ve had numerous videos get approved, quickly, on sites that are bigger players in the market and, after waiting five months for VideoHive to review a file I’ve submitted, it gets rejected. The citation is usually “Unfortunately we found it isn’t at the quality standard required to move forward, and you won’t be able to re-submit this item again.” So how exactly do you “self-curate” if no specific reason is ever given for a rejection? It could seemingly be anything ranging from the content itself, the style, or something technical. That kind of broad rejection doesn’t exactly motivate me to keep wanting to contribute. And if we now have to consider the possibility that the reviewers may pick one file, out of many in the queue, reject them all, and copy and paste the reason, I’m going to quickly opt out and move on. I very much appreciate the sales I’ve had on the Envato sites, but parts of the system (i.e. this new thing and the payout ratio) aren’t friendly to contributors, and it feels like it’s starting to get worse.

1 Like

Problems began after the receipt of files were given to new inspectors. The queue began to grow. Increased the number of rejects. At this point I stopped understanding what is happening with videohive. I suggested that Envano began to change policy towards a premium level. But at the same time inspectors accepted the worst clips of elite authors, and my quality clips refused at same time. It’s hard for me to understand what will happen in a year. Now I see that videohive is not friendly to new authors. I think it is possible that leaders will be able to decide to remove the portfolio of some authors as it was with the photo. Envato removed my photo portfolio. I think Envano will be a premium class after coyple years. Only for those who shoot at a Hollywood level.

That’s true. They are expecting very high quality, like extreme quality level and still sale the clips for $8? Videohive used to be my go to marketplace, well not anymore. They don’t even listen to authors, people who basically make this company.

1 Like

This is a “new twenty” for me!