Important Changes for Non-US Authors/Affiliates/Service Providers

Envato take 30 to 64% depending on your sales and exclusivity, not 50 to 70%. Although I appreciate it’s far from an insignificant amount, it’s also no more than most stock marketplaces, and I think we get a pretty good deal for what we pay. The main thing being a steady stream of traffic looking to buy assets. I’m sure I’d sell nowhere near as many items if I just soled them through my website.

And just on the 10% part… the minimum you’d be left with as an exclusive author, no matter what you fill in or don’t fill in, is 26%, not 10%

1 Like

Ok, thanks. That sounds logical. Can anybody confirm this?

Couldn’t find an official answer to your question.
If the reason behind not completing the W-8 Form before January 1st is the Tax ID Number or ITIN, I suggest you fill the W-8 Form but at “Tax ID Number” choose “I will not or am unable to provide a Tax ID Number”, by doing so, when the first of January comes, 30% will be taken from your US sales only which is absolutely better than taking 28% from all your sales if you don’t fill the W-8 Form at all.

2 Likes

Great, thanks!

Ah, I forget to mention that you can update the submitted form later when you get the ITIN or the Tax ID Number.

Did any of the UK peeps figure out if we should be using our ‘National Insurance’ number, or our ‘Unique Taxpayer Reference’ (UTR) number you get on your self assessment thing?

Well I completed the W8 form on Envato site some day ago.

Now, a question: I just received a mail from IRS asking me to complete a W8 form and send it with my passport copy to an US fax number.

Can I throw it away?
I’ll do anyway, starting to get sick of this…

1 Like

I would NOT do that. The IRS will never email you and ask for anything. If they need something from you, they would do it through certified mail of some type or another.

Edit: I just read “Mail” - did they mail it to your or email it?

Thank you for the answer, Luminary.

Yes, sorry, emailed it. From -auto.reply at irs dot gov-
Possibly a phishing even if it seems authentic.

Delete it, it is not legit. Especially if they are asking for Personal Info.

Perfect.
Thank you!

What is Disregarded Entity?
I read the paragraphs over here: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw8bene/ch02.html#d0e483 - but I have no idea what that meant :smile:

A disregarded entity is a partnership who pays no corporation tax. Each partner of a disregarded entity pays taxes of its own.

I have filled the W9 form more than 1 month ago but didn`t get any answer. How could i know did i make mistake or not…all ok or i should nervouse… how to check did Envato get my form? Thanks

Hi! I can not figure out where to get the form to fill w 9

On your profile setting page under Tax Information, or just follow this link after you update it with your username: “https://themeforest.net/user/ Your Username /tax_information/new”.

I can see your country is Ukraine, why do you want to fill in the W-9 form? non-US authors should fill in the W-8 form.

Thank you understand not true

after filling Tax Information and save, when re-entering the fields empty. it’s okay?

Do you see the following message at the top of Tax Information section?

If yes then everything should be OK.

no. I will fill again.Many thanks