Important Changes for Non-US Authors/Affiliates/Service Providers

Hi everyone, here is today’s Q&A. Please remember we are only answering new questions, i.e., questions that haven’t already been addressed in our blog post, help center articles or previous forum Q&As (you can find links to all previous posts by me and Collis in my first post). Thanks!

Sorry about the confusion, okstudios!

You should be presented with four options:

• U.S. Social Security Number (SSN)
  • U.S. Employer Identification Number (EIN)
  • Foreign Tax ID Number
  • I will not or am unable to provide a Tax ID Number

It sounds like you have a local tax number, and therefore would select “Foreign Tax ID Number” (Because this is a US tax form, ‘foreign’ refers to non-US, and that’s where your local number goes).

If you didn’t have one, only then would you need a US ITIN.

Thanks for reporting this miseld and sorry for the inconvenience! I let our devs know and they’ve since fixed the issue. Please give it another try and let us know if you continue to experience problems. Thanks again!

Hello! Here you go:

1. If you are completing a W-8 form, then US RWHT is based on country of residence (not whether you use a social security number).

2. This answer has come up a couple of times and been answered in previous forum Q&A. You can find a full list of all official Q&A posts with links in the opening post.

3. Yes, US RWHT deductions will show up in a separate line in the statement. Thanks for the useful feedback on the API - we’ve shared this internally with the team that owns it.

Hi Sonicbyte, it means we won’t be able to process withdrawals to any payment account (PayPal, Payoneer or SWIFT) that is located in a country that is different to the country of residence you register on your W-8 Form.

Unfortunately this is not doable in our system. We’ve manually tried to do it a couple of times in the past and it involved a lot of workarounds, so we no longer can do even that. The system ties these records (of items and users) together very deeply in our application, as it wasn’t designed for moving items between users. This makes it really difficult, sorry!

Actually, it’s OK for you to use different payment accounts for Envato Market and Envato Studio - sorry this wasn’t clear! We won’t be merging earnings and payment dates will remain as is for now. Hope this helps!

You should speak to your tax advisor for any advice on how to complete the form if you’re unsure.

If a US based person owns an account on Envato Market, they should complete a W-9 form and provide US payment details to which we will pay. No US RWHT will be applied.

Payment details should match the account holder’s country. If PayPal isn’t working, you may wish to consider Swift, Skrill or Payoneer as an alternative option?

You’ll need to talk to your tax advisor to determine the right tax ID number to use for your corporation as it’s highly dependent on your circumstances such as corporate structure and country.

We will apply US RWHT based on the country of residence of the account holder, and payment details should match that country of residence.

Hello! The new withdrawal rules, like the tax changes, start from January 1st 2016, this will include the January processing of December payments.

Hi MusiDale, invoices will display:

first initial + last name OR business name (Will become optional shortly)
username
city/state/zipcode/country

To have a business name show up, you will need to have completed the W-8 or W-9 form as that business entity. We will be rolling out a feature to optionally hide the first initial + last name or business name and instead just show the username. Please note, if the invoice with only a username is insufficient to meet the buyer’s requirements, we may need to process a refund.

Hi Blackneron, sorry to hear that :frowning:

Unfortunately, there’s no way for authors to directly contact buyers within our current system except when the buyer initiates contact. As an alternative, we recommend leaving a message on your profile page, item page and comments tab that says you are closing your account and includes the closure date as well as a way for buyers to get in touch later if they need help.

It’s also worth noting that if you support your items, you should fulfil all of your support commitments before closing your account. To do this you need to first disable support for your items and then maintain your account for an additional 12 months so that you can provide support to any buyer who may be eligible.

On your second question, unless you’re from a restricted country, you should be able to delete your items and request and receive withdrawals yourself (i.e., without contacting the help team). You can find instructions for how to remove your items in our help center.

I need to check up on your third question, and come back with an answer. Expect a follow up post in the next day or so.

Thanks!

2 Likes