I'm losing pageviews. What was the benefit of the new Popular Files page design, again?

@PaulGraves
Yes, I would assume too that to add playlists shouldn’t be that much effort. At least to implement. But they would also need to be updated regularly and maybe that is what envato can’t effort right now. I think it could be true that as @MojoSoundtrack sais, that they probably need more staff.

Maybe they are also working on a totally new system, which will be able to feature all kind of cool functions and they simply don’t want to “waste” more time on the old system. But I agree that playlists shouldn’t take that much more time… In general more transparency would be very helpful. To give some reasons why they do or don’t do certain things or just let us know that they are working on it. I’m not a regular forum visitor, especially not on the audiojunge corner. Does envato ever give development updates here?

@serginxs
Yes, that was the idea to listen directly to the main theme/mood of the track and don’t need to skip through it and maybe still miss it. But I haven’t thought about it from the authors perspective. You are totally right, authors probably start “bigger” than the song would regularly need. A lot of Authors probably do fear that customers don’t keep listen up to the main topic of a song. So they start with it, even though it would be better for the song to slowly build. So this feature probably would also mean higher quality of the songs because authors have less fear customers miss the main parts and concentrate on what is best for the song. :hugs:

1 Like

Yes this is the biggest frustration, you never really know if you are talking to a wall sometimes, or if things are being considered. So a lot of room for improvements there.

They do, but rarely on the cases we request. I hope it will be better though, there have been more activity the last months than before I think. Hopefully they will get more staff for AudioJungle in the future.

We are allowed to dream :slight_smile:

1 Like

As an VH author I can confirm every single word. I searched for suitable track the same way.

But a year ago I started to create special list of favorites AJ authors. Noting absolutely genius people. And people who are the best for me in specific things.
I avoid any popular tracks and any tracks which try to “sound” as popular.
I avoid the search page as much as possible, because it takes too much time to find something there. Prefer to search in my own list. I also search for a track before creating a video preview. This way I can find something especially good and adapt my project to a track if needed.

So my advice for any AJ author would be to focus on reputation, on quality, and avoid popular page as inspiration.

8 Likes

Thanks for the input, @secondfalseiteration, and for some insight on how a VH author searches for music.

It’s nice to hear your take, because some of AJ’s support docs that offer tips for AJ authors give the opposite advice. In other words, we’re encouraged to look to the popular files page for guidance on the types of tracks we should be producing.

It depends whom you want to be. If you want only money, be a copier. It’s easy, but boring. If you want to be also an artist, avoid popular things, or change them in special, incredible, uniqure manner. It’s hard, but interesting.
Both ways are profitable. But one thing is important always - build your reputation. No one will listen your portfolio, if their first impression was bad. It takes me max 10 seconds to understand I like this author or not. If I hear something bad or even horrible on search page, I will skip other tracks from that author, it helps to save time.

Thanks again. Your feedback is helpful. I spend the majority of my time editing video, and I can relate to what you’re talking about. I have done a lot of AJ searching over the last 10 years, and there have been a lot of times where I found a perfect track for the video I was editing - and the track had only been purchased a few times. I’m often surprised by this, because I think I’ve found something that fits the mood an feel of what I’m cutting perfectly - and I can’t believe somebody else hasn’t found this great track.

2 Likes

So true. Few months ago I search for something electronic, sci-fi, cyberpunk, dark, maybe a little bit retro. And the majority of tracks were variations of Stranger Things soundtrack. Come on, everybody knows that this show and its soundtrack is great, but it’s not a reason to copy it hundreds times!.. Finally I found a perfect track. Even my wife came to me and ask what I’m listening to.
Today I think that most people buy my item only because I used this track. And this author right now is on top of my list.

1 Like

I completely understand.

I came from an audio background before producing video. Now I produce TV commercials, corporate video, fundraising videos, etc.

Audio is so important to how video work is received. I especially enjoy choosing music and doing the final mix. Music choices can make or break a project.

1 Like

It seems new design tested, better now. At least we can see our logos in a proper, not crippled version.

3 Likes

Don’t like this new design at all…! So unhappy…) Dear Envato, please, make as it was back…

1 Like

These ideas by Anton are brilliant.

Also, I think this new PF page design reminds me of some ugly designs that are seen on a well-known competitors site which always looked very Web 1.0

Now that they’ve gone back to larger thumbnails I’m warming to the new design more and more now. I just wish they’d have 4 or 5 cards per row rather than 3. It all feels very bloated.

4 Likes

I have only two cards in one line. The mobile version has only one. I don’t think that’s good.

Do you really want this?

Right now:

Your suggestion:

Before any suggestions about design, I recommend everybody read this.

I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. :wink: Post it just for fun.

1 Like

LOL! No feelings hurt :smile: But there are plenty of better ways to make the design compact. I would start by making the thumbnails larger, put them at the top left, then the title at the top right, then put the waveform in the middle, and finally the track details at the bottom. Trying to cram the thumbnail, play button and waveform into a single row wouldn’t work for cards that small.

Sure, there are.
But my point is - do not tell professional what exactly he need to do. Simply because you are not expert in such things. For example, I can say in restaurant that the dish was not very tasty. And it’s normal. But I never go to the kitchen and never tell chef what he must do, how many salt he must use and so on. Because I’m not an expert.

Simple task “make compact” engage so many questions and so many issues.

here should be a long post, but I’m too lazy to write it down

after 30 minutes of reading … that is why your suggestions to move that and that, will not work. You skip several steps between research and actual moving things around.

To be honest I hate this “gigantic” trend in web design. It looks like designers take me for a blind man. All those big buttons and text comes from mobile devises. But I have glasses, big monitor and mouse, and what comfortable for mobile is not comfortable for me with my PC.
Web designers follow the trend, and adapt design for mobile… But envato clients use computers. That’s where problem came. And it’s not a fault of one or several designers. It’s worldwide. We live in era of Flat Clean Gigantic Design. No one in web design industry could ignore this. If you ignore this trend, you will lose a job, because you are under a risk that people don’t understand you.

What I may say in the end. Trends are changing. If this trend follow biological evolution rules, soon it will die. Gigantism in species is an agony before disappearance. Most giant beast were evolutionary dead-end. Dinosaurs…

imagine here I talk about biology, about evolution, about whales, about dirigibles, and about other gigantic things

…so that’s why I think this trend will die, and appears something more interesting. Right now we should just wait.

4 Likes

I agree completely. Great post!

That’s right! We’re in the jungle!

Why they removed top seller authors of the month from Popular files list page?

1 Like

Because Envato is afraid to show how Envato Elements affect sales of AJ authors.

(Please prove me wrong top selling gentlemen)

2 Likes