Illustrator 10 EPS Editable Text issue - Need a confirmation from Staff.

Hi guys,

The problem here with Illustrator 10 EPS (when you down-save it from a later Illustrator version/ format and want to keep the text editable) is - you need to click Update when you open the file in later Illustrator version to make the text editable. Without clicking Update, the text is outlined and therefore it’s uneditable. Adobe also confirms about this.

Type objects created in Illustrator 10 and earlier are uneditable until you update them for use in later versions. After you update you have access to all the text features in Illustrator CS5, such as paragraph and character styles, optical kerning, and full OpenType® font support.

However, in some of my reviewing process, some reviewers ask for the text in the EPS 10 to be editable by default. It’s something that cannot be achieved with this format (EPS 10) if you don’t Update the type, and this caused some of my soft-rejects. Especially in this stormy nightmare of delays, it makes things a little bit more intense. (However, some other reviewers seem to understand this issue and in those cases there are just no problem. Thank you guys.).

In another GR forum topic I have found someone reported that his item got approved when upload EPS with CS legacy, not EPS 10 here. It’s kinda strange to me. So I think that I need a confirmation from staff on these issues:

• First, if you guys only allow EPS 10, then I think all reviewers should have the same opinion when it comes to this editable text thing in the EPS 10. Sometimes I was asked about this, sometimes not - this is really confusing and sounds more like a matter of “luck” each time?

• Second, do you guys accept EPS CS? Please have a confirmation on this.

Thanks for reading the message. Whatever, I do respect your works of reviewing, just want things to be transparent and standard so there would be no confusing for me or anyone else.

Best regards,

Great question and i also look forward to clarification.

I recently uploaded a logo template, and just as you’re saying, I had to save as CS EPS to keep text editable. It was soft-rejected for other reasons, but they did not say anything about needing to make it Illustrator 10 EPS.

But a final word from staff would be great.

I am save my file into 2 version, epsCS4 and eps10…

Thank you guys for the replies and support :).

So, I have just tried to research and look for some official guidelines on this and found Vectors Category Submission Requirements which stated that the EPS file should be “EPS format, Adobe Illustrator 8 or 10 compatible”. Another document, T-Shirt Preparation Guidelines only stated that EPS file needed, not stated any specific version. Seems like I cannot find any specific guideline on Logo submission requirements within the Knowledgebase, even though this is the fastest growing category at the moment.

gbs, this is an important question, did you click on Request staff reply ?

TanyDi said

gbs, this is an important question, did you click on Request staff reply ?

Hi TanyDi, yes I have clicked on that link right after I opened this thread. Thank you.

Hi everybody - My attention was just drawn to this thread, and I wanted to reply. This should not be considered as an “official” staff response, but I have some insight on this issue, as I review Logos Templates. EPS10 files normally allow the text to remain “live” or editable. This is how it is supposed to work. However, there seems to be a bug with some non-English versions of Illustrator, which causes the text to convert to outlines when saved down to EPS version 10. I have actually spoken to Adobe engineers about this and have tested several files with other Illustrator experts. Since there are so many variables. e.g., platform, Illustrator version, font choice, etc., it is hard to pin down exactly what causes this problem. I suspect it happens with RTL (right-to-left) languages, but I am not 100% sure. Believe me, I’ve done a lot of research :slight_smile:

Since we have so many authors from all around the world, we have identified some of you who have this issue. For these authors, we allow an EPS11(CS) with editable text in addition to the EPS10.

If you are experiencing the text outlining issue, please include both the EPS10 and EPS11 versions, and please make a note of this in the help file. It’s also helpful if you include this in the “notes to reviewer” section when you upload. There are only a handful of authors with this issue, but it’s nice to be reminded of who you are, so we don’t reject erroneously :slight_smile:

Just to reiterate, we do require EPS10 files for Logo Templates, with editable, or “live” type. This works for 95% of our authors. If you are in that lucky 5%, however, please include both the EPS10 file (with outlined text) and an EPS11 file (with editable text). Thanks!

1 Like

Another thing worth noting, is that there is a known bug with ligatures. If your text contains a ligature, like “fi” or “fl”, etc., the text will get outlined. You can attempt to fix this by going to the OpenType panel and turning off ligatures, then saving your EPS10 file. Remember to save your EPS, then close and re-open it to double-check. Ligatures are nice, though, so you might want to upload both and EPS10 and EPS11. Again, please make a note of it in the help file and in the notes to reviewer.

(Probably more arcane Illustrator stuff than you wanted to know!)

1 Like

@Illustrator88: Thank you for your response to my old topc. It’s very useful to me and I think to all the authors who have the same concern too. The ligature issue was the reason that troubled me in some cases but now it’s okay when I have found the reason. Good to know that we can include EPS11 in addition to EPS10 too. Cheers!

@illustrator88
Thanks a lot for the explanation. We was confusing the ligature issue.
We got it now.

Thanks a lot!

I didn’t know about the ligatures thing either, so thanks for another tip. They are few and far between these days.

Hi,

I was having same problem today. When I was saving EPS version 10, texts were no longer editable and got outlined. I found that once I set text kerning to ‘0’ and save as EPS 10, re-open the file to test if the text were editable, It worked.

Hope that will help other people to fix any such issue.

P.S: I saved from Illustrator CC 2014 for EPS 10

Thanks,

1 Like

I apologies because writing my problem here, but it’s very similar to this thread, and I don’t want to spam the main forum :slight_smile:

I have constant problems with saving my works (logo templates) in EPS10 formats, because of : my cursed Illustrator / computer / myself … I don’t know which, but the fact is :
IF I try to save from my Illustrator CS5 in EPS 10 format ,the text always breaks into (still editable, but very) small parts (or worst ) even IF I click on update ( when I reopen the file ).

so My question is ( mainly towards to the envato team :slight_smile: ): should I upload these “corrupted” EPS 10 files according to marketplace rules, which will instantly push the buyers into the edge of deep madness , and cause guaranteed unsatisfaction (because they need to edit every single letter almost one by one … ) OR can I use EPS 11 files in the future instead , without soft rejected again and again? EPS 11 works perfectly

Even if I attach an editable eps11 file,(+ an outlined eps10) ,write apologies, and quote Illustrator88 -s advices in the comment section to the reviewer , there is a chance to be soft rejected because of the “wrong” file formats … and that’s made me a very saaad panda.

My favourite so far: when one reviewer accepts the files ,understands my problems and the next reviewer rejects the exact same zip because wrong file formats… :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I understand that being a reviewer is very hard work, but please do something or i’ll lose my mind :silly:

ps.: i’m fairly new here (and in graphics :))), so if i posted this in a wrong place i’m sorry :slight_smile:

BrainAtticDesign

The key points in my earlier post are these:

we allow an EPS11 with editable text in addition to the EPS10.

If you are experiencing the text outlining issue, please include both the EPS10 and EPS11 versions

The EPS10 format is required for people who use CorelDraw, or Freehand, or some other vector editor besides Illustrator. Everybody else can use the EPS11 (CS).

Just a tip for buyers or anyone who has to work with broken up legacy text:

If you open and EPS10 file and the text is still editable, but broken into fragments, you can fix it.

1. With the Selection Tool (black arrow) active, select the broken up text and Copy it.

2. Switch to the Type Tool (T), click on the artboard, and Paste. Now it will be one string of text.

See screen shot here: http://cl.ly/image/2n0F1q3w1Y3V

If you close and save the file to EPS10 again, the corrected text will break up again. :frowning: So you should save it as a native Illustrator file in your latest version, and it should be ok!

Illustrator88 said

BrainAtticDesign

The key points in my earlier post are these:

we allow an EPS11 with editable text in addition to the EPS10.

If you are experiencing the text outlining issue, please include both the EPS10 and EPS11 versions

The EPS10 format is required for people who use CorelDraw, or Freehand, or some other vector editor besides Illustrator. Everybody else can use the EPS11 (CS).

Thank you for the fast answer ! :superbashfulcute:
It’s very kind of you to working on this case,and try to help us out!

Sorry about my english , but in nutshell :slight_smile: : my problem is: It seems to me not every reviewer knows about this eps 10 problem. (and about the solution) I’m really appreciate their work but i’m a bit confused when one allows me to do things and the others don’t. (I’m always attaching eps 11 AND outlined eps 10 files too - among many other formats :)) (I feel myself guilty about breaking the marketplace rules , but I can’t fix this issue therefore my works will be rejected in the future again and again. It’s just a small problem I know, but “time is money” (for both of us) :))) my intentions are to improving the system

Thank you for the instructions, it’s very useful, i will use it in my documentation (if you don’t mind) :slight_smile:
:superbashfulcute:

1 Like
It seems to me not every reviewer knows about this eps 10 problem.

Everybody knows about it, but sometimes we miss things – we’re human :slight_smile: I will remind everybody, though!

“time is money” (for both of us) :))) my intentions are to improving the system

Thank you - it is much appreciated! :slight_smile:

1 Like