if your project is going to be broadcast spot on national television, you should pay more?.

if your project is going to be broadcast spot on national television, you should pay more?.

Yes, you would need to purchase a Broadcast License.

The Broadcast and Film License is the one required for national TV broadcasts.

You definitely would need a broadcast license, but based on viewership figures, you might not need a broadcast and film license. Just make sure to select the correct broadcast license based on your needs.

It’s actually not based on viewership, but on potential reach. So, for National TV it would depend on the size of the nation. Any nation with over 10 million people would require a Broadcast and Film license.

While I don’t think the term reach has ever been definitively explained by Envato, I really feel that should be wrong… even if it isn’t! I mean what you’re essentially saying is that if broadcast licenses were required for social media use, then you’d need 700 ‘broadcast (10 million)’ licenses to cover YouTube’s ‘reach’ of 7 billion people!

“That’ll be $100K please!”

Well the Broadcast and Film license doesn’t have any limitation on audience size or reach, so one would do for Youtube in such a scenario.

While you are right that Envato has never given a satisfactory disambiguation of “audience size” and “reach”, the figures used as thresholds fit with the potential reach / DMA model, rather than with the audience performance. At one point (don’t know if it’s still up) they actually used the term DMA (Designated Market Area), which is pretty explicit.

Yeah good point on the broadcast and film license.

@PurpleFog @SpaceStockFootage Hi guys, audience size is quite clearly defined in the licence FAQ:

How do I know my Broadcast audience size?

If you are using a music track in a Broadcast project, simply ask your client or producer what their intended audience size is for the production, meaning the maximum number of people the Broadcast has the potential to reach.

As a general rule of thumb, an audience size up to 1 million tends to be more for local and hyper-targeted broadcasts, 1-10 million is more on the regional-to-national scale, and above 10 million is typical for national and international broadcasts. Please note this may vary depending on your location and target market. In some places, this audience size measure is similar to the broadcast DMA.

You find it “clearly defined”?

Other than the term “broadcast DMA” which has real meaning (but sadly is muddied up by “in some places”), I don’t see anything that couldn’t be interpreted one way or the other. What does “intended audience size” mean to a buyer?

We lobbied for years so that that they make it clearer for everyone and all they did was change “potential reach” with “intended audience size”… I mean, come on!

1 Like

Haha! Well, I did say quite… To me though, the rule of thumb examples that they give seem pretty straight-forward, although I defer to your expertise with this kind of thing. I suppose there are unscrupulous TV producers out there that will exploit any loose wording if they can save a buck, so I’m all for taking the interpretation factor out of these licence T&Cs.

I’m sure there are. But the real issue is buyers honestly thinking the expected actual audience size is the metric used in the terms, since those are the figures they often more familiar with. The prevalence of the 1 million Broadcast license sales over the other two (when it should actually be quite rare) shows that this is still very much an issue.

1 Like

That’s true, although I don’t think changing the wording in the FAQ will help much in that regard, since it’s unlikely that buyers would even look there for the answer to a question if they are not asking it. It might be more effective if Envato labelled the licences with the figures that the customers are most familiar with. Also, changing the order that they appear in the drop-down box so that the most likely choice is at the top might help a bit too.

1 Like

I sell more broadcast licenses since I include in zip this pdf with info about broadcast:

2 Likes